Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chandelz

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2013
Please! Help! I don't have any pc, i can't modify my drive without the HDDFT10 who works with mac osx,
Romarion is here?

Hitachi support in France tell me there is not exist an other file than feature tool 2,15!
??

Last edited:

rbmanian75

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2009

klangvoll

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2013
searching for HDDFT10.iso

Hello,

could anyone please send me the file HDDFT10.iso for my MacBook? I couldn´t find any source to download it.

Thanks in advance

wegotoeleven

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2013
Hey peeps,

Registered here especially for this thread.. :D

Even though my optibay is running at 6g, it's unstable as hell; I need to somehow force my 1tb Travelstar 7k1000 to 3g, and none of the feature tools pick up the drive, even on a PC. Can anyone help? I've asked Hitachi for a link to the iso, but they're not replying... :/

Thanks!

phamhainguyen68

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2009
Please! Help! I don't have any pc, i can't modify my drive without the HDDFT10 who works with mac osx,
Romarion is here?

Hitachi support in France tell me there is not exist an other file than feature tool 2,15!
??

Hi Chandelz,

Attachment is the iso of HDDFT10. You have to burn it to an CD, then boot it on a computer in which you plug the HDD.

After the system boots into the program, it'd present you a black screen with the following options:

Esc: Quit
F1: Switch to another drive
F2: Change Transfer Speed to 1.5Gb/s
F3 Change Transfer Speed to 3.0Gb/s
F4: Change Transfer Speed to 6.0Gb/s
F5: Enable SSC (Spread Spectrum Clocking)
F6: Disable SSC

Press F3 to change the speed of the drive to SATA 2 and you are good to go.

Looking forward to your respond

Attachments

• HDDFT10.iso.zip
    443 KB · Views: 1,626

pronidenis

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2012
I bought HGST 7K1000 and have the same problem installing it in the optibay of my Macbook Pro Mid-2012 with both cheap caddy from Amazon and expensive OWC Data Doubler despite it's known fact that MBP Mid-2012 supports SATA 6Gb/s on its optibay.

I guess the only workaround here is to downgrade SATA on 7K1000 from 6Gb/s to 3Gb/s.
A call to Hitachi technical support didn't help, they said that a tool for that purpose doesn't exist.

Can anyone who done SATA downgrade before help with finding a proper tool please?
my e-mail is: platonmusica@gmail.com

HDDFT10 file attached by phamhainguyen68 seems to be not working.

----------

Hi Chandelz,

Attachment is the iso of HDDFT10. You have to burn it to an CD, then boot it on a computer in which you plug the HDD.

After the system boots into the program, it'd present you a black screen with the following options:

Esc: Quit
F1: Switch to another drive
F2: Change Transfer Speed to 1.5Gb/s
F3 Change Transfer Speed to 3.0Gb/s
F4: Change Transfer Speed to 6.0Gb/s
F5: Enable SSC (Spread Spectrum Clocking)
F6: Disable SSC

Press F3 to change the speed of the drive to SATA 2 and you are good to go.

Looking forward to your respond

phamhainguyen68, can you please reupload the HDDFT10 file, looks like it does work.

Last edited:

phamhainguyen68

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2009
I bought HGST 7K1000 and have the same problem installing it in the optibay of my Macbook Pro Mid-2012 with both cheap caddy from Amazon and expensive OWC Data Doubler despite it's known fact that MBP Mid-2012 supports SATA 6Gb/s on its optibay.

I guess the only workaround here is to downgrade SATA on 7K1000 from 6Gb/s to 3Gb/s.
A call to Hitachi technical support didn't help, they said that a tool for that purpose doesn't exist.

Can anyone who done SATA downgrade before help with finding a proper tool please?
my e-mail is: platonmusica@gmail.com

HDDFT10 file attached by phamhainguyen68 seems to be not working.

----------

phamhainguyen68, can you please reupload the HDDFT10 file, looks like it does work.

I tried to download, unzip and open the iso file inside. It still work. Can you tell me how did you do? Did you burn the iso file to an CD and boot it using an PC?

pronidenis

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2012
I tried to download, unzip and open the iso file inside. It still work. Can you tell me how did you do? Did you burn the iso file to an CD and boot it using an PC?

I burned the HDDFT10.iso on a CD with Disk Utility and tried to boot from it on my Macbook Pro (hold Option when start). Looked strange that a cd was recognized as a Windows CD (see pic)

eeeee_zpse02dedfb.jpg

When tried to boot from the CD, I got a message: "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh616/pronidenis/ffffff_zpsaaf42cbc.jpg

It also strange that when opened the HDDFT10.iso with Disk Utility under OSX, the content was empty (maybe there are some hidden files on it that I can't see under OSX).

http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh616/pronidenis/bbbbbb_zpscfe2c815.jpg

What am I doing wrong?

ppeinado

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2012
success!!

Followed phamhainguyen68 instructions:

unzipped file
burned iso in disk utility
rebooted holding down option key
selected disc
booted into feature tool 1.0
F1 to change drives
F3 to downclock speed
rebooted mac

Now I have a 1tb 7200 in my optical bay that actually works.

@pronidenis: I didn't see any files either after unzipping, but it did boot

Thank you soo much phamhainguyen68. I owe you a beer. HGST tech support was worthless. I am going to call in on Mon and complain. They told me this was impossible. And this was after they said that my drive was already sata II (fail) and that it was not supported by the feature tool (also fail), which they said would only work on a linux or windows pc. That's some amazing product support.

Last edited:

pronidenis

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2012
Solved

Followed phamhainguyen68 instructions:

unzipped file
burned iso in disk utility
rebooted holding down option key
selected disc
booted into feature tool 1.0
F1 to change drives
F3 to downclock speed
rebooted mac

Now I have a 1tb 7200 in my optical bay that actually works.

@pronidenis: I didn't see any files either after unzipping, but it did boot

Thank you soo much phamhainguyen68. I owe you a beer. HGST tech support was worthless. I am going to call in on Mon and complain. They told me this was impossible. And this was after they said that my drive was already sata II (fail) and that it was not supported by the feature tool (also fail), which they said would only work on a linux or windows pc. That's some amazing product support.

Finally the problem was solved when CD was burned under Windows (looks like Disk Utility burns CDs in different format, that can't be used for booting on Intel Mac).

As to HGST support, I don't agree. I have contacted tech support and after explanation of my problem I got the HDDFT10.iso file.

ppeinado

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2012
Finally the problem was solved when CD was burned under Windows (looks like Disk Utility burns CDs in different format, that can't be used for booting on Intel Mac).

As to HGST support, I don't agree. I have contacted tech support and after explanation of my problem I got the HDDFT10.iso file.

I was able to boot from a disc burned from Disk Utility, so I don't think your statement is accurate. As to disagreeing with me about my experience with their customer service...why? I relayed what happened when I called in. Unless you were the tech on the other line, how can you disagree, as you were not present during the call. Maybe you got a better employee than I did cuz everything I stated happened.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK

I have made many bootable CDs with Disk Utility to update firmware on SSDs.

Really pleased this has all worked out...I have it on my shopping list to get either a 1Tb/7200, or 1.5Tb/5400, both SATA3, and downgrade to SATA 2 so it will work in the optical bay of my 2011 MBP.

Thanks for all the info in this thread.

Chandelz

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2013
phamhainguyen68 thank you very much!
I wil test it tonight, I hope it's my solution!!!
I will come back to tell you if it's ok!

dakir8

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2013
It's perfect! Working good!

Thanks! ;-)

I have had this problem since I replaced the 320gb hdd with HGST 1TB 5K1000.
I am so excited to see this post. But I have a few questions about the procedure.
1. will this action erase my hdd? i don't see anyone mention about this in this post.
2. can i use a external optical drive to do the action? i have burned the iso to a cd and using a external optical drive to boot from. i can see the CD in the BOOT MANAGER and i choose it, then all i see is a black screen.

could you please help me out! thanks a lot.:)

dakir8

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2013
I have had this problem since I replaced the 320gb hdd with HGST 1TB 5K1000.
I am so excited to see this post. But I have a few questions about the procedure.
1. will this action erase my hdd? i don't see anyone mention about this in this post.
2. can i use a external optical drive to do the action? i have burned the iso to a cd and using a external optical drive to boot from. i can see the CD in the BOOT MANAGER and i choose it, then all i see is a black screen.

could you please help me out! thanks a lot.:)

Solved. I hold down C instead of OPTION to boot from cd, then it worked. Now my 5k1000 has downgrade to data 2 and it seems working great. Hope it help someone who come across the same issue.

ikyriakidis

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2013
Hello,

I want to buy this disk HGST Travelstar 7K1000 but I have some questions.

I own a macbook pro 15 and I have currently installed an 128gb SSD and a 750gb on optibay.

How can I install the new Hitachi disk and then boot from cd? Can I instead copy the Hitachi utility on a Flash disk and boot from that?

sunFloower

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2013
Help! HDDFT10 tool needed

Hi everybody,
I'm currently facing the same issues.
Could anyone please send me the HDDFT10 too that I could use with my Macbook Pro early 2011 OSX and the HGST 7K1000...
Please...
Thanks

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Complete Success!

Just want to report that I have successfully converted a brand new HGST 1.5Tb 6G HDD to 3G using the HGST Tools linked earlier, and installed it in my early 2011 MBP Optical Bay Data Doubler, where it is functioning successfully as a 3G device..... (all attempts at running a 6G device in my optical bay have failed as reported earlier)

I burned the CD from the ISO using Disk Utility on my 2010 MBP, and booted from this CD and did the the conversion from 6G to 3G on the 2010. I note an earlier poster said that his DU-burned CD did not boot for him, but mine did. I used my 2010 MBP rather than my 2011 MBP because I keep an optical drive in it and know from previous exercises updating SSD firmwares using CDs that it works well.

Great Thread, thanks to all for inputs.

jorgk

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Just to understand: You guys put in a SATA-III rated hard (platter) drive into the main drive slot, the slot being rated for SATA-3, giving something not working - until you make the platter down to SATA-II.

Why then do SSDs work fine at SATA-3 in this same main drive slot of the 2011-late/early MBPs 13,15,17" ???

Anyone?

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Just to understand: You guys put in a SATA-III rated hard (platter) drive into the main drive slot, the slot being rated for SATA-3, giving something not working - until you make the platter down to SATA-II.

Why then do SSDs work fine at SATA-3 in this same main drive slot of the 2011-late/early MBPs 13,15,17" ???

Anyone?

The problem is not with the main drive slot....it is with the optical bay.

6G/SATA3 devices work fine in the main bay.

jorgk

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
The problem is not with the main drive slot....it is with the optical bay.

6G/SATA3 devices work fine in the main bay.

That's what I thought - but above it sounded different, see:

I plugged it to the main bay and it was recognized at 6Gbps. But it ran very unstable as sometimes the whole drive hang for 20-30s (I/O error in the system log).

As both of them (main bay & optibay) can work at 6Gbps so I decided to put the drive in the main bay so that it will be easier to upgrade the HDD (I will not upgrade the SSD for the next few years).

...The problem was that the 1TB drive was set to run at SATA 3 which was causing drama in both the optical and main bays.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK

Mebius973

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2014
Hi guys,
I'm posting here because this thread was really helpful!

I had some I/O errors with this hard drive which wasn't expected: I decided to change my HDD (not to add one, to change it) I had a previous up-to-date mavericks install on my previous hard disk with meant I had an up-to-date firmware on my motherboard but nothing worked (is the firmware related to the current install of os x?).

I was really lost, I spent a week trying to figure this out and a local tech center spent 10 days on it (first time of my life I brought a computer to a tech center and that was really expensive for nothing, I was going crazy) .... until I saw this thread and used the HDDFT10. I downgraded the speed of my HDD to 3G and now everything works fine.

So, thank you guys, really thank you for this thread and your solution and for the HDDFT10 attachement!

Mebius973

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.