Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
A deal has come up to where I could get a 1.25 17inch iMac G4, 80 GB, 786 mb ram, for $650 (which I think thats a great deal) I love the design. That also would free up my hands this christmas so I could get a Xbox 360. My delema (sp?) is I would love to get a fast computer like the iMac G5 (1.9 G5... you know the works) . What would you get? Will the 1.25 be fast enought if i wanted to get into some photography/ video editing. If i was to hold out I would probobly get it in january after MWSF for iLife 06. This would be my first mac so im fairly sure ill be happy with what ever i get.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I love my new G5 iMac, but that's a really good deal. You could always look for a good deal on refurbs on Apple's site, but if that G4 is in good condition, it's a steal. It will run fine for awhile, though not as good as the G5 obviously. If you aren't going to game on the Mac, buy the G4 and the xBox. You can always upgrade to a better machine later when you have the money and sell the G4 on eBay to recoup some of your money.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
That's an excellent price for the 17" iMac G4. Those models typically sell for quite a bit more than that on ebay, so you could always turn it over and make a few.

It's also a perfectly usable machine IMO. It's probably a better overall performer than the Mac mini...faster 7200 rpm hard drive and GeForce FX 5200 video with 64 mb VRAM, which BTW supports Core Image.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
I decided to go for the G5. Why not go all out on your first mac? I could always ask for the 360 for Xmas (eventough it would be a f****** merical if my parents got me that)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.