Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Carrier are You with?

• Straight Talk

Votes: 46 7.8%
  • AT&T

Votes: 266 45.2%
  • H2O Wireless

Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Sprint

Votes: 53 9.0%
  • Verizon

Votes: 128 21.7%
  • T-Mobile

Votes: 74 12.6%
  • Simple Mobile

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Red Pocket Mobile

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • GoSmart Mobile

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Net 10

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • Virgin Mobile USA

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Cricket Wireless

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Spot Mobile

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Walmart Family Mobile

• Ultra Mobile

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Platinum Tel (Ptel)

• Lyca Mobile

• Solavei

• Total voters

rcoyote

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2014
iPhone 5s Straight Talk GSM or CDMA best?

I am trying to figure out which full priced iPhone 5s to buy if I want to use straight talk. I understand that both would work. But it seems to me that the GSM model that works on the AT&T map would allow for 4G coverage where as the CDMA model will allow for Verizon's network, but only access 3G... Is this right?

I can figure out the other options/advantages, but this is one thing I'm not sure I am understanding. thanks

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I am trying to figure out which full priced iPhone 5s to buy if I want to use straight talk. I understand that both would work. But it seems to me that the GSM model that works on the AT&T map would allow for 4G coverage where as the CDMA model will allow for Verizon's network, but only access 3G... Is this right?

I can figure out the other options/advantages, but this is one thing I'm not sure I am understanding. thanks

Get the VZW iPhone 5S for ST. If you are tired of ST, it will work perfectly on AT&T, TMo, and VZW. A true multi-carrier phone.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012

I've got the Verizon 5S with the Straight Talk ATT SIM (cut down to fit) and have LTE where LTE is available.

My understanding is that ST gives you LTE only with ATT, not VZ.

NO Visual Voice Mail, just standard call-in voice mail. Probably really bothersome if you get lots of voice mail--which I don't.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Since Visual Voice Mail is not available, here's how to get the "number-of-voice-mail-notification" back with iPhone 5S (this tip has been reported before, but it needs repeating:)

Go to Settings-General-Reset and reset the Network Settings. Shut down and restart after the process is done (the reset process itself does a restart.) The second restart was necessary for me, to get the "number" to show on voice mail.

I used Skype to call in and leave voice mail. Number showed up above voice mail as in the days of old, before we were spoiled by visual voice mail

rcoyote

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2014
thanks Verizon ?

So when you're saying get the Verizon iPhone 5s. Would buying an iPhone direct from Apple full price set up for Verizon - that's one way of doing that correct? not necessarily buying from Verizon? which I could see how some would want Visual Voice Mail. I've used that long ago and it was nice, but I had not really thought about that. My understanding of buying the 5s from Verizon is that the phone has a few more limitations since it is packed with Verizon software. I don't like hassles and fixes as I'm not all too up to speed on all this... eventually I get to it. but just want things to work.

how about the sim card? I've seen many post and can find but just ordering direct from Straight talk sounds the simplest. getting from Walmart seemed like I may have to buy the iPhone from walmart... not sure.

thanks for knowing so much and taking the time for a newbie. I will do the same once I am in the know. S

----------

Get the VZW iPhone 5S for ST. If you are tired of ST, it will work perfectly on AT&T, TMo, and VZW. A true multi-carrier phone.

thx.. very clear answer :) I posted a few more ? on same thread...s

----------

Since Visual Voice Mail is not available, here's how to get the "number-of-voice-mail-notification" back with iPhone 5S (this tip has been reported before, but it needs repeating:)

Go to Settings-General-Reset and reset the Network Settings. Shut down and restart after the process is done (the reset process itself does a restart.) The second restart was necessary for me, to get the "number" to show on voice mail.

I used Skype to call in and leave voice mail. Number showed up above voice mail as in the days of old, before we were spoiled by visual voice mail

I use Skype now... works ok. are you saying this reset will show the voice mail notifications on Skype? I know they used to show up on my iTouch...now they don't. I was hoping the new iPhone would work a little better with new iOs 7. But I will save this note... Or does this note pertain to getting Visual Voice mail working... in which case is that a downloadable app? or is it best to buy the full priced iPhone 5s from Verizon? hopefully I'm getting it. It takes me awhile at times. Thx again.

----------

Just get a verizon 5s. All the bases covered. Except sprint. That's it

seems anything Sprint is not the way to go in regards to anything other than standard plans.

for the record I have not minded higher fees with Verizon. they have been great for everything, customer service, coverage etc. However, I am thinking about planning a trip to Thailand and India and do not want to be locked into the contract. I was pleasantly surprised by all the options and sort of excited to participate on what seems like good competition... more options for individual needs, budgets etc. I am always thankful for those who take the time to help out people like myself.... too bad the time is not some type of non-profit write off! :D at any rate... giving has a way of coming back around..thanks everyone for all comments!

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I use Skype now... works ok. are you saying this reset will show the voice mail notifications on Skype? I know they used to show up on my iTouch...now they don't. I was hoping the new iPhone would work a little better with new iOs 7. But I will save this note... Or does this note pertain to getting Visual Voice mail working... in which case is that a downloadable app? or is it best to buy the full priced iPhone 5s from Verizon? hopefully I'm getting it. It takes me awhile at times. Thx again.

Visual Voicemail doesn't work on ST. My post applies to regular old-fashioned voice mail on the iPhone, eg where you have to dial in to listen to voice mail in the order in which the voice mail was received and where a numeral above "voice mail icon" indicates how many messages you have. Has nothing to do with Skype.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
So when you're saying get the Verizon iPhone 5s. Would buying an iPhone direct from Apple full price set up for Verizon - that's one way of doing that correct? not necessarily buying from Verizon? which I could see how some would want Visual Voice Mail. I've used that long ago and it was nice, but I had not really thought about that. My understanding of buying the 5s from Verizon is that the phone has a few more limitations since it is packed with Verizon software. I don't like hassles and fixes as I'm not all too up to speed on all this... eventually I get to it. but just want things to work.

how about the sim card? I've seen many post and can find but just ordering direct from Straight talk sounds the simplest. getting from Walmart seemed like I may have to buy the iPhone from walmart... not sure.

thanks for knowing so much and taking the time for a newbie. I will do the same once I am in the know. S

----------

thx.. very clear answer :) I posted a few more ? on same thread...s

----------

----------

seems anything Sprint is not the way to go in regards to anything other than standard plans.

for the record I have not minded higher fees with Verizon. they have been great for everything, customer service, coverage etc. However, I am thinking about planning a trip to Thailand and India and do not want to be locked into the contract. I was pleasantly surprised by all the options and sort of excited to participate on what seems like good competition... more options for individual needs, budgets etc. I am always thankful for those who take the time to help out people like myself.... too bad the time is not some type of non-profit write off! :D at any rate... giving has a way of coming back around..thanks everyone for all comments!

Get a verizon 5s. Really that's it. There's no software bloat ware on the iPhone, no limitations from Verizon. Go to the apple store ask for verizon 5s device only. There's a thread here also from a guy in how to order one online. You can even get one on contract and it's still gsm unlocked.

rcoyote

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2014
Get a verizon 5s. Really that's it. There's no software bloat ware on the iPhone, no limitations from Verizon. Go to the apple store ask for verizon 5s device only. There's a thread here also from a guy in how to order one online. You can even get one on contract and it's still gsm unlocked.

Got it! thanks. Now I'm going to buy it! I like any excuse to goto the apple store... I'm sure apple is not the best way to save money... ie. my iTouch and iOs 6 seems outdated all too fast, but usually if I factor in a "rent" factor and seek the old device if I need the $ or keep it for some purpose it ends up working out to own the relatively newer platforms... especially if I save some monthly dues on the phone contracts. Thanks again!

----------

Visual Voicemail doesn't work on ST. My post applies to regular old-fashioned voice mail on the iPhone, eg where you have to dial in to listen to voice mail in the order in which the voice mail was received and where a numeral above "voice mail icon" indicates how many messages you have. Has nothing to do with Skype.

got it. I went super cheap for 2 years and just used Skype and wi-fi... 'had a work injury and kept cost down. I've grown to enjoy less noise in my life, but that said depending on Skype is like raising chickens so you can fry an egg.

BrazilBuzz

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2014
IPhone 5s or 5c with Straight talk

I have read through most of the recent posts but still would like confirmation before I buy. Would it be best for me to buy a Verizon phone on the Apple website, then buy a SIM from Straight Talk? Will that work? Also is it the most financially sound way to go? Financially in terms of buying it from Apple store and getting the SIM chip from Straigh Talk.

Thanks guys!!

Vamanchi

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2015
I bought sprint iPhone 5s on eBay hoping I could unlock it online but no luck. I have other AT&T iPhone with h20 wireless plan where I pre pay Ten bucks for every 3 months. It works out well as we only use it for emergencies. does any one know similar plans for sprint phones?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.