Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Credit card processing company Square and accessory manufacturer Griffin today announced the Merchant Case + Square Reader, a specialized case that integrates itself with the popular mobile card payment system for added convenience.

merchant_case_square3-800x658.jpg
The case itself is made from a non-slip silicone material, and provides a custom fit to the included Square Reader. The card reader can also detach itself from the case and can be stored in the back of the accessory for easy access.

Compatible with the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5, the Merchant Case + Square Reader is now available for pre-order from Griffin's website for $19.95 and ships in 1-2 weeks.

Article Link: CES 2014: Square and Griffin Announce 'Merchant Case + Square Reader' for iPhone 5s and iPhone 5

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
Surely touch and go is the way now.

Never let your bank card out of you sight as I just had mine used on car parking in New York and i've never been there. I believe it happens because restaurants in the US take your card away to log the amount on the card. I never allow this now as I use their machine not the staff. I never let anyone touch my bank card.

budselectjr

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Minnesota

Never let your bank card out of you sight as I just had mine used on car parking in New York and i've never been there. I believe it happens because restaurants in the US take your card away to log the amount on the card. I never allow this now as I use their machine not the staff. I never let anyone touch my bank card.

completely relevant to the conversation. :rolleyes:

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon

Well, in this instance, there is no reason for them to swipe out of sight.

*shrug*

Frankly, if they were going to work on a case together, I'd expect something more like the old Mophie reader case.

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
Why wasn't this just integrated into the bottom of the case making it nice and tidy?

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Why wasn't this just integrated into the bottom of the case making it nice and tidy?

That would make it more expensive in the long run. This way you can just replace the case when upgrading your device.

xxmrcxx

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
Sounds like a solution to an irrelevant issue. I've never had an issue with losing my reader or having issues swiping it.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
lame

they should have partenred together and created a case that with a built in reader. this case doesnt do anyhting that other bulky cases dont already do.

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
Chip & Pin

I am a square user (from both ends), and every time I use it I can't help pondering what it would take to make Chip and Pin a reality in the US. Get rid of magnetic stripes and you get rid of the vast majority of the credit card fraud. It doesn't matter to me whether it's contactless or not, but it's high time for a PKI based smart card solution for credit card authorizations.

jjwarwick

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2007
Chip and Pin was rolled out in the UK in 2004 - and became mandatory a year later. It massively reduced fraud, so it's insane that people are still swiping cards and signing.

Square are missing out on a massive market with this outdated technology.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Chip and Pin was rolled out in the UK in 2004 - and became mandatory a year later. It massively reduced fraud, so it's insane that people are still swiping cards and signing.

Square are missing out on a massive market with this outdated technology.

the best way to use Square today is w/ swipeless transactions. the customer uses Wallet, the merchant Register. they find each other automatically and you dont even have to remove your phone (but you can respond to the push alert to include a tip if you like).

curmudgeon32

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012

Oh ok. You must be fun to go out with.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan

1.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.