Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GroovyCarrot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2013
YhsgxsY.png

NextGenUI is a spacial interface concept based on the idea of having all of your applications represented as graphical nodes, with a futuristic design; NGUI4 is full of features and interactivity.

T1JDLTm.png

Nodes can be added, removed, resized and changed on the interface using interactive gestures.

0AJGRl5.png

Two types of nodes implemented include a simple application node, and a data storage node that can hold application in a folder-like fashion.

The UI has been designed with the idea of future improvements and implementation to be added while conserving the UI layout that you have already taken the time to create.

feOGcWT.png

Searching, downloading and uninstalling applications is all supported

i3J8pRc.png

Full UI wide colour customisation from the configuration menu, and downloadable graphical themes that allows other developers to modify the UI and share their own takes for others to enjoy, these themes are placed in:
/User/Library/NextGenUI4/themes/

The unique ability to combine colour customisation with graphic themes makes NextGenUI a very diverse theming platform

To switch NextGenUI on you need to enable it from the Settings application

Other features include
Themed notification banners (iOS 6)
Subtle animations and more to add to UI feel

Would like to thank @iphoneMaster323 for his video review of NGUI4, check it out here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMP8BconR2E&feature=c4-overview&list=UUWGGtR2JTG0ybxMF-v_PBhw

If you feel NGUI4 is worth more than what you paid, feel free to send a donation to a poor student :) my PayPal is wise.jake@live.co.uk

Follow me on Twitter: @GroovyCarrot

Please note that Pirated/Stolen copies of NextGenUI are no longer being signed by the server so I guess you'll just have to pay for it, please bare in mind behind everything that is pirated is a developer that has invested some several months to create it

Last edited:

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Hey guys, I've been working on this tweak for a few months now but finally it's finished, thought I'd share it here for you guys to check out - It's a tweak but you activate it via Wynd's DreamBoard for optional switching in and out, this does not actually use DreamBoard though. Hope you all enjoy :)

NextGenUI is a spacial interface concept based on the idea of having all of your applications represented as graphical nodes, with a futuristic design; NGUI4 is full of features and interactivity.

Nodes can be added, removed, resized and changed on the interface using interactive gestures.

Two types of nodes implemented include a simple application node, and a data storage node that can hold application in a folder-like fashion.

The UI has been designed with the idea of future improvements and implementation to be added while conserving the UI layout that you have already taken the time to create.

Full UI wide colour customisation from the configuration menu, future developments will allow you to pick graphical schemes that developers will be free to create and modify the UI to their own ideas

Other features include
Themed notification banners.
Optional simple lockscreen implmented, I encourage disabling this to use some of the amazing WinterBoard lockscreens by other developers
Complimentary NGUIBlack WinterBoard theme for completeness

Preview of NGUI4 showcasing functionality
Excuse the lagging, I only use the old iPhone 4, the UI is smooth

If you feel NGUI4 is worth more than what you paid, feel free to send a donation to a poor student :)

Wow that's actually really cool and well done. I have a quick question, and maybe its answered in one of the videos (sorry I only watched one video), but can you zoom in and out of the springboard to get a birds eye view of where all your icons are laid out?

GroovyCarrot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2013
Wow that's actually really cool and well done. I have a quick question, and maybe its answered in one of the videos (sorry I only watched one video), but can you zoom in and out of the springboard to get a birds eye view of where all your icons are laid out?

At the moment you can't do that but I have some cool plans to expand on the UI to give extra depth such as zooming between different levels as if it were a star map of sorts. Right now I'm working on iOS5 compatibility but I will be making major improvements over the next few months

Thanks for the feedback!

faizoff

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
This looks amazing I'm going to buy it. Anyone have any feedback on how it works on an iphone 4?

faizoff

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Come to think of it I wished there was a trial version to test out the performance on an older device.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Impressed by the work, not so much about the theme itself. It reminds me to those who used to tweak their Windows PC to look like anything but their actual Windows version.

I like iOS 7. Yes, I'd change some things, but this is going too far away imho.

faizoff

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Bought this and I love the look and feel of it. But as it turns out there's some bug that's causing it to take about 20-30 secs to load just the folders on my iphone4, the dev is looking into it and he seems like a cool guy. Have it disabled for now.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Looks amazing I just hope the final product is as amazing as the concept

The final version is in cydia. It's not a concept any more. I'm tempted to buy it because it does look cool. It'd be fun to play around with it plus I'd be helping a student albeit in an extremely minuscule way.

Might have to pull the trigger on it to see it first hand and, if any, what kind of 3rd party themes there are for it.

Celstra

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2012
This is NOT supported on my iPhone 5s. I click to go to app download page and I get a recheck button at the top right corner of screen. A message below reads:
Unable to Purchase:
This product is not currently certified to be compatible with your device.

AppleLova

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2014
Denmark

Full UI wide colour customisation from the configuration menu, and downloadable graphical themes that allows other developers to modify the UI and share their own takes for others to enjoy, these themes are placed in:
/User/Library/NextGenUI4/themes/

The unique ability to combine colour customisation with graphic themes makes NextGenUI a very diverse theming platform

To switch NextGenUI on you need to enable it from the Settings application

Other features include
Themed notification banners (iOS 6)

Would like to thank @iphoneMaster323 for his video review of NGUI4, check it out here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMP8BconR2E&feature=c4-overview&list=UUWGGtR2JTG0ybxMF-v_PBhw

If you feel NGUI4 is worth more than what you paid, feel free to send a donation to a poor student :) my PayPal is wise.jake@live.co.uk

Please note that Pirated/Stolen copies of NextGenUI are no longer being signed by the server so I guess you'll just have to pay for it, please bare in mind behind everything that is pirated is a developer that has invested some several months to create it

On my iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.4
It says it's unable to purchase.
Really want this theme!!!!!!

faizoff

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
The dev mentioned on his twitter account that he was moving to another server. I'm guessing its temporary.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
No thanks. Quasi-futurism that chooses cathode blues and polygons over practicality and useability. Nothing "next-gen" about it at all.

But this must've taken a long time, and it looks solid if this is your bag.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Working this theme right now on my blue iP5c. Smooth and (so far) trouble free.

Only issue: The FaceTime; iTunes Store, and Passbook icons are not themed.
Is there a fix for that?

It would be sweet if everything matched and seeing as those are stock icons, should look as the others...

UItheme_zpse91eb97f.jpg

GroovyCarrot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2013
Hi guys, just wanted to share some progress, I'm always trying to improve practicality and have some good ideas planned - I've recently finished the theme system, I basically wanted to open this up to the more talented graphic designers in the community as my graphical finesse is very limited :) So here is NGUI4.3 running on my iPad air (iPad version coming soon)

Praxis (stock)
hTXZfSZ.png

1f0nJfZ.png

EM1TT3R by D1LL1NG3R
u0EBSx8.png

zzN14xU.jpg

RX2Y11A.jpg

Fex00eh.jpg

Ghost in the Shell (Laughing Man) by Draco_Red
VKrXEVN.png

VWFXeLa.png

fm81tiq.png

There are other cool themes in the works however they are either incomplete or I don't have a copy myself yet to screenshot :)

I'm working out all the bugs and hoping to get 4.3 to a public release soon, depending on university work load - the iPad version will also be released at 4.3. Future plans is basically to implement some more ways of looking through the apps, including icon-grid style of sorts, but the whole idea is to break that so I'll likely work in some 3D effects :) Also iWidgets compatibility with widget-nodes, and various other things depending on 4.3 feedback, been working on this for a couple of months now and working with theme developers to give them full control of the UI - it's more of a theme platform now than a theme itself

Hope you guys look forward to it!

Polsky

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2014
I have to say I am very much enjoying this UI.
I could not find a lock screen theme to go with this UI to make it complete, I would be very interested in a ngui4 lock screen.
As well, where can I find the laughing man theme?
Please and thank you,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.