Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ion Audio has introduced a Bluetooth-enabled cassette tape adapter that allows older stereos to stream music wirelessly from mobile devices.

The device is rechargeable via USB and lasts up to six hours on a charge, turning on and off automatically when inserted and ejected from the cassette deck and somewhat supports hands-free calling by routing incoming call audio through the car's speakers -- though a speakerphone will still be needed to talk.

cassettebluetooth.jpg
With Cassette Adapter Bluetooth from ION, your car's cassette player instantly becomes a wireless Bluetooth receiver. Just like that, you can stream music from any Bluetooth music player or phone. No complicated installation. No cables. No tangled or snagged tape. Just pop it in and it automatically turns on. Cassette Adapter Bluetooth contains a long-lasting rechargeable battery for even the longest road trips. Plus, you now have a hands-free solution for phone calls.

Now, you can use your car's speakers to hear phone calls and music without having to buy a new stereo head-unit. Both of your hands stay safe on the wheel while your audio source stays in your pocket. Cassette Adapter Bluetooth is the last cassette you'll ever need and the first --and only--step to bring your favorite music, podcasts, and audiobooks into your car.
Pricing and availability information have not yet been released. The last U.S.-sold automobile to offer a factory-installed cassette deck was the 2010 Lexus SC430.

Thanks Eli!

Article Link: CES 2014: Ion Audio Introduces Bluetooth Cassette Adapter to Upgrade Older Stereos

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
woow, haha, I remember back in 2005 I had the cassette tape adaptor to 3.5 mm jack to connect to my iPod. good times.

I don't know how many people would want this, the cheapest car headset nowadays seems to be ipod compatible.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I have a 2006 Crown Victoria - it has a tape deck. I use the wired version of this and it suffices. Adding an AUX port would cost like $300 dollars. Not worth it. I am also not swapping for an aftermarket radio either. Not in the car enough to justify it.

What's to stop the tape deck from "seeking+" when it does not detect any audio? I have this problem with my current one so you have to turn off the stereo or eject the tape to keep it from doing that.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
id actually prefer to have my casette slot back cuz im tired of burning cds for the car and i dont have aux. used to have one of these with a cable to connect my iPhone on my old car

SmoMo

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
turn me on

now if it could recharge itself by the spinning of the little wheels that would be even neater.

Reactions: Arran

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
The 7 people with cassette decks AND a bluetooth MP3 player must be very excited about this.
My '06 Acura TL still has a cassette deck. I used to use one of those cassette-to-3.5mm adapter thingies before installing my iSimple GateWay.

Then I threw on a 30-pin to Bluetooth adapter on the iSimple when I got my iPhone 5. So it's a pretty good setup, but I look forward to getting a new car with better iOS/Bluetooth integration, that's for sure.

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
I still use the Sony cassette adapter in my 2003 Tacoma. First one lasted 7-8 years and I'm on my second one now. I use it every day. Takes one second to plug into the phone and I never have to worry about charging the adapter..... and it's under $15.
I love technology but I don't see much of a benefit for me in this case.

Reactions: Arran

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Cool, but impractical IMO because of the short battery life.

This is the kind of thing you're going to have to remember and bring with you every time you get in the car because it's not going to last more than a day or two without needing to be charged.

They really need to figure out some way to power this and then it's perfect. Like someone else said, figure out a way to generate current using the spinning tape drive - even if it isn't enough to keep it powered on 100%, the fact that it could supplement the battery with power generated by rotation would give it a longer life. Not a perfect solution, but there's gotta be a way.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
C

They really need to figure out some way to power this and then it's perfect. Like someone else said, figure out a way to generate current using the spinning tape drive - even if it isn't enough to keep it powered on 100%, the fact that it could supplement the battery with power generated by rotation would give it a longer life. Not a perfect solution, but there's gotta be a way.

You could charge it a lot faster by leaving it on fast forward or rewind for a few minutes.

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
The wired version of the tape deck adapter sucks when it comes to sound quality. I can't see this being better. And I don't need yet another pricy device to charge.

JakeBondo

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2014
NOLA
I have 2005 Toyota truck with a cassette player. I use it everyday. My jail broken 1 gen iPhone is connected to my cigarette lighter and tape adapter so when I turn on my truck it automatically starts playing. Then when I shut my truck off it stops. I think it works better then Bluetooth. I never have to touch my iPhone unless I want a different album.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.