Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Pebble today announced its next-generation Pebble Smart Watch, the Pebble Steel, which features a stainless steel body with a leather or steel band and a face covered with the ultra durable and scratch resistant Gorilla Glass used in Apple's own products.

Along with a new metal or leather band, a deviation from the plastic band of the first-generation Pebble, the Pebble Steel features smaller side and top bezels for a slimmer, lighter profile. The Pebble Steel weighs 45 grams, two grams less than the original Pebble.

pebblepricing.jpg
According to Pebble CEO Eric Migicovsky, who spoke to CNET, the Pebble Steel is designed to be a more formal version of the original Pebble.
CEO Eric Migicovsky describes Steel as a more formal version of Pebble: "I'm going out for dinner, I'm wearing a suit, I've got a position that doesn't allow me to wear a plastic watch on my wrist. How do I benefit from a smartwatch? How do I get notifications and run all the apps that Pebble offers without having to put something that I don't prefer on my wrist. We took that as an industrial design problem. It wasn't really a software problem...We just had to build an aesthetically different Pebble."
The band is available in both brushed stainless steel and a matte black steel, along with black leather. Pebble Steel lasts for up to a week on a single charge and includes an LED indicator that displays battery life. Like the original Pebble, it is waterproof.

Along with the Steel, Pebble has announced that its app store will be available to users later in January. The company is also partnering with new companies to introduce a playback control app for Pandora, ESPN sports stats and box scores, and a car stats monitoring app from Mercedes.

Pebble Steel will begin shipping on January 28 for $249, a $100 premium over the existing Pebble watch. Pre-orders can be placed today on the Pebble website.

Article Link: Pebble Announces Next-Generation $249 'Pebble Steel' Smart Watch

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
I'm still preferring old fashion watches. They are better built and look great. These examples below cost less than the Pebble.

102071_A2_Watch_Out_Time_Red.jpg

59363_A2_Large_Titanium_Watch_White.jpg

99346_A2_Black_Square_Watch.jpg

Last edited:

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Is this one of those videos in the running for the worst of the year?

Why can no one make a decent product video anymore!?

Watch looks ok. a bit 1970s - but not a bad thing!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
That actually looks rather nice. I'm very picky when it comes to watches, so for me to say that I like the look of it, that's saying a lot.

beherenow

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2009
Mac Rumors?

Shouldn't this have been posted to GenericTechRumors.com or PebbleRumors.com? I see the tenuous Apple link to iWatch, but com'on let's not dilute the subject.

jreuschl

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Looks nice. I love my Pebble but $100 above the original one seems a tad steep. Then again, some buy high end mechanical watches costing hundreds without blinking.

things

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2014
70's pre-punk retro styling, not a period with a great fashion legacy

but then i can't see the attraction of smart watches, maybe there's a market for this sort of stuff, good luck to them

Jamez1502

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2011
Manchester, UK
Hopefully we'll see many more wearables in the market this year that will drive the prices down. As much as I would love to own a pebble, 250 is way to steep for me.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Shouldn't this have been posted to GenericTechRumors.com or PebbleRumors.com? I see the tenuous Apple link to iWatch, but com'on let's not dilute the subject.

1. The Pebble is also iPhone-compliant.

2. I have been contemplating with ordering the Pebble as it's GREAT value. However, I'll definitely wait for this new model.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I hate all watches except my $10 Casio. You know, that one that they have been selling for 30 years :D

When these get that light an unobtrusive i'll be all about them.

Same goes for eyewear

fullstop102

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
Love it

I love my pebble watch as I have stated before. The black metal one actually looks very much like another watch I own. Maybe it is time to give my old pebble to a family member.

Also the live stream made me feel a little nervous for Eric. I see why even the showman that was Steve Jobs still ran mountains of rehearsals. Its not as easy as he used to make it look.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Looks nice. I love my Pebble but $100 above the original one seems a tad steep. Then again, some buy high end mechanical watches costing hundreds without blinking.

Which is entirely different. Truly high-end, mechanical watches are an investment that will span generations. Not a piece of disposable modern tech.

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
eew... I think it kind of looks... pretty bad. I like the normal one more it is less pretentious.

beherenow

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2009
Still wondering why smart watches are needed- especially if they have to ride on the coattails of the smart phone in your pocket.

I genuinely think they'll all fail based upon trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. It's like having a remote control for your car radio. The controls are there, right there!

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Hopefully we'll see many more wearables in the market this year that will drive the prices down. As much as I would love to own a pebble, 250 is way to steep for me.

The plastic ( original ) pebbles cost $149, if thats in your price range. Same functionality.

Still wondering why smart watches are needed- especially if they have to ride on the coattails of the smart phone in your pocket.

Not everyone has their smartphone in their pocket… or available at hand.

Last edited:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I'm still preferring old fashion watches. They are better built and look great. These examples below cost less than the Pebble.

They also serve a different purpose and have (intentionally because they are jewelry) less functionality. Silly comparison. Smart Watches are not meant to be fashion or wealth statements.

---

Improvement on the Pebble's aesthetics. But still too think and clunky for my taste. I love how they keep steamrolling along but hope they don't end up getting steam rolled when/if Apple shows a smart watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.