Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ClearView Audio showed off its Clio Bluetooth wireless speaker at CES 2014, which boasts a unique "invisible" design consisting of an ultra-thin, curved acrylic glass transducer. The speaker's design allows for it to output sound in multiple directions, with volume up/down, mute, and Bluetooth buttons on its side.

clio_speaker.png
ClearView Audio is also touting its patented "Edge Motion" audio system in the speaker, which pushes sound through the side of the device instead of the rear like traditional cone speakers:
ClearView Audio's patented Edge Motion audio systems use a differentiating mechanical principal to generate sound. Instead of pushing from behind, like a traditional cone speaker does, Edge Motion-driven speakers actuate a thin membrane along the side in a manner that creates an extremely efficient, piston-like motion in front. The resultant speaker system is thin and lightweight with the ability to produce a rich, full sound across the audio range.
clio_speaker2-800x479.jpg
The Clio is available for pre-order at $349 from Clearview Audio's website, and is expected to ship in late March.

Article Link: CES 2014: ClearView Audio Shows Off 'Clio' Clear Glass Wireless Speaker

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
To heck with wireless Bluetooth.....I'd love a pair even if they're wired to be the front side channels (maybe a third for center channel) for my HT. Since I haven't researched - maybe they already exist....I'm sure someone here will point that out if they do.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I wonder what the low end would be like.

They're claiming "full range" but with flat panel speakers like these the bass is usually subdued. Apparently, the speaker produces 2.1 stereo sound from a single unit. That itself is impressive. And the sound is supposedly "room filling". I'd want to hear one before I'd consider buying it.

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
They're claiming "full range" but with flat panel speakers like these the bass is usually subdued. Apparently, the speaker produces 2.1 stereo sound from a single unit. That itself is impressive. And the sound is supposedly "room filling". I'd want to hear one before I'd consider buying it.

The kids these days think that the iPhone speaker is adequate and YouTube is the best way to listen to music. (Bandwidth management be damned, but I digress.)

I'm sure it has a place but if I'm going to spend a bunch of money for a small radio, I'm going to buy a Tripath amp and a decent set of small speakers. Much less money and better sound I'm sure.

To each his/her own, I suppose.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
with all that glass just sitting there, I am surprised that they did not put some LEDs to create a light show to go with the sound :D

This is interesting and you could see how this could eventually end up on a screen -- using the screen itself as a very large speaker -- TV, Phone, Tablet, or computer screen. My guess is that this is just a start and the technology can be developed further and in positive ways.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I wonder if the same technology can be used to make the glass on an iPhone the speaker?

It's possible. But every time you touched the screen, it would alter the vibrations and muffle the sound.

EDIT: Evidently, it's already been tried. From Clio's site: "2006 -- Emo Labs creates an LCD display with an invisible speaker system."
history-2006.png

I can see this being used in monitors or TVs, though. The current speakers on those are usually pathetic.

Last edited:

Deedlez

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
UK
It's sort of like the Bose Sounddock speaker system, except the big grille bit is now glass. Looks nice; I think my Mrs would approve of it as it's unobtrusive.

But it would definitely need a listen - can't see how the glass panel could have a decent dynamic range. Particularly for the price...

kenzbud

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
I wonder if this is a similar technology to Martin Logan's electrostatic speakers?

Hene

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2014
I wonder if this is a similar technology to Martin Logan's electrostatic speakers?

I think it's exactly the same. I have a pair of ML's with electrostatic membrane and the listening area is very narrow. You have focus the speaker very precisely.

illicit2k1

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2009
looks like a sound bar with a piece of glass attached to it. cool technology but don't call it "invisible". a standard sound bar is more "invisible" than this thing.

X-Ravin

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
The kids these days think that the iPhone speaker is adequate and YouTube is the best way to listen to music. (Bandwidth management be damned, but I digress.)

I'm sure it has a place but if I'm going to spend a bunch of money for a small radio, I'm going to buy a Tripath amp and a decent set of small speakers. Much less money and better sound I'm sure.

To each his/her own, I suppose.

Oh man don't get me started. I have a $2500 headphone setup on my desk and my friend who claims he's an audiophile tried it out by listening to YouTube music. Much sadness...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.