Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Love the changes to the keyboard!

The darker green icons look a little iOS 6-y to me. Might need to see it in person to see if it looks better.

jlnr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2010
Just like iOS 7 itself, this update focuses on the phone form factor. My most optimistic theory is that iOS 8 will be introduced along with the iPad Pro. :/

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
iOS 7.1 will be a useless cosmetic update

a new keyboard such as Swype would have a much a better improvement

achtung!

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2005
Portugal
this is fake! that circular power off button is off-center (top and bottom margins bigger than left margin)! :p

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
Not really digging' the smaller 'call' button...

Everything else is ok though.

I'm agreed - I can't understand how making your device have smaller buttons is a good idea.

I love iOS 7, but I can't understand this change logic.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
whats the deal with having all this unused space in the dialer app?

it was better when they first released the phone

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
wow !

and nobody thought apple could innovate! :D

seriously though these changes are so minor it's a joke.

Apple needs to take a cue from Google and push larger changes on a more frequent manner.

Redesigning the entire operating system apparently isn't "big" enough. While Google's been sitting on Android 4.X for years now.

Yep, you're so totally right. Not saying 4.1-4.4 haven't included some neat features, but they've slowed down substantially since releasing 4.0. Mainly because they found a good design and didn't want to fix something if it wasn't broken. You know, kinda like Apple did from iOS 1-6. And now that they HAVE done a substantial overhaul with an entirely new design personality as well as some substantial and incredibly powerful new APIs, you're saying Apple isn't "pushing larger changes"

Lol.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Steve Jobs was known to call people in the middle of the night to complain about the subtlest issues with colors and icons etc. Sure doesn't seem like there is anyone on board with that attention to detail anymore. So many questionable design choices.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

Yeah, I don't see the benefit. All it does is reduce the hit area. I guess now you can see more if your Contact's photo? :rollseyes:

The thing I hate most about iOS 7 looks-wise is the neon, so I'm very pleased they're darkening it.

And to everyone saying "why are they working on x instead of y," it's not like they have one UX designer. They work on many things at once.

At any rate, .1 updates are usually very minor; this one already looks bigger than normal.

Steve Jobs was known to call people in the middle of the night to complain about the subtlest issues with colors and icons etc. Sure doesn't seem like there is anyone on board with that attention to detail anymore. So many questionable design choices.

The same things were said when Aqua debuted in OS X. Remember the pinstripes? Apple changed the UI in very little time; it will take time to be refined, just like Aqua was.

hansonjohn590

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2013
Thankfully, slide to answer is now a button. I've been having major issues with getting my phone to respond to the slide.

petsk

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
Why don't you fix the broken Touch ID instead? Or what about the constantly crashing iPad Mini Retina? It's a nightmare to use either of them. I never thought Apple would sink this far. SJ would never have agreed to releasing such ****** software as iOS 7.

thisisdallas

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Cupertino, CA
iOS 7.1 will be a useless cosmetic update

a new keyboard such as Swype would have a much a better improvement

Having used Swype regularly on my old phone, I can confidently say that typing on the iOS keyboard is much faster with practice. I personally don't miss swype at all and would probably opt out if they even offered it as an optional feature.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apparently no one who has ever worked in making UI aesthetics has ever heard the saying "change for change's sake" and how it is often unnecessary.

A few month long beta to introduce circles over rectangles...is there honestly not more important products or problems these people could be working on?

Tell that to everyone here still obsessing over app icons designs.

----------

So many questionable design choices.
Yes, like faux leather, green felt and fake wood grain.

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
MR, if you're going to show before and after icon comparisons, at least line them up correctly. New Phone icon above the old Phone icon, perhaps? And the same with Messages... And on a similar background.

TrentS

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Overland Park, Kansas
Apple iOven.

Apparently no one who has ever worked in making UI aesthetics has ever heard the saying "change for change's sake" and how it is often unnecessary.

A few month long beta to introduce circles over rectangles...is there honestly not more important products or problems these people could be working on?

I agree! My mom recently bought a new Samsung oven for her kitchen. The darn thing is neat, but it so hard to program the slightest little thing. Just think if Apple came out with their own kitchen oven, how they could make the simplest little task on it easy to program. You could "start" baking your food by at church with your iPhone - get updates on its progress without even being there! Apple could be working on new products like this and take the appliance world by surprise!

:) :) :) :)

chimerical

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2004
Would be interesting if the capital letters on the keys changed to lowercase letters when toggling the "Shift" key. Then people wouldn't have to check the mode of said Shift key.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Apple is overthinking it.

Also, too many apps that do the same thing. Facetime/Phone/Contacts can all be combined as one app.

And please do something about that ridiculous Photos icon art.

Music app looks fine the way it is. Now it's too pink. This should be a black/white/grey UI color, not pink. Honsetly, the repeat and shuffle "buttons" should be symbols, not words. It looks like it's struggling to stay on the screen. Again, inconsistency in design. Words or symbols, not both.

I like the old call screen with the rectangle better. Made it easier to make sure I end the call before I start cussing.

Icons are still inconsistent. If Yahoo can get consistent icons for their websites, Apple can do.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I'm agreed - I can't understand how making your device have smaller buttons is a good idea.

I love iOS 7, but I can't understand this change logic.

I see several possible reasons for the change, at least as far as the incoming call screen is concerned...
1. To make the contact photo more visible.
2. To space out the buttons so you're less likely to hit the wrong one.
3. To make it more consistent with other iOS7 interface elements.
4. To give it its own characteristic look (the current screen strongly resembles its counterpart on Windows Phone.)

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Tell that to everyone here still obsessing over app icons designs.

----------

Yes, like faux leather, green felt and fake wood grain.

At least the overall design was thoughtfully put together like a finished product. And for the time, it was better than anything else on the market. This looks like a haphazard work in progress by a design student.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.