Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPort today announced new versions of its All-in-One Charge Case and Stand for both the iPad Air and the iPad mini with Retina Display. iPort's Charge Case and Stand is designed to combine a case with both a wireless charger and a stand.

The iPad fits into the case portion of the accessory and attaches magnetically to the stand/charger. When attached to the stand, the iPad can be rotated into three different mounting angles and two different orientations (both portrait and landscape), making it extremely versatile.

iport.jpg
The case, which is designed to remain on the iPad at all times, is compatible with Apple's Smart Cover, while the dock, which weighs in at over a pound, includes a power supply for charging whenever the iPad is connected.

iLounge reviewed the company's initial Charge Case and Stand for the original iPad mini and gave it high marks for its unique design and features.
In considering the final value of this system, it's important to look at its constituent pieces. A good dock without any charging hardware or cables sells for around $30, and a case of this sort would go for $35. Adding a 12W charger and a Lightning cable will cost you another $40, assuming you go with Apple products. That brings you over the $100 cost before you even consider iPort's wireless charging. Taking the design of the parts and the total value of the bundle into consideration, it's easy to offer the Charge Case and Stand our high recommendation. iPort got so much right here, and little touches such as the removable Lightning plug pushed the solution over the top from very good to great.
The Charge Case and Stand for the iPad Air and the Retina iPad mini will begin shipping in February and will be priced at $119.95 and $99.95, respectively.

Article Link: CES 2014: iPort Debuts All-in-One Charge Case/Stand for iPad Air and Retina iPad mini

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
cool

Ok, for once, a new product that I actually want to check out. The orientation options and magnetic attaching are interesting and could be useful. Pricepoint is tolerable as well. I see a new charging option in my future.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
This looks promising but I need to know more about the case. It's hard to tell what it looks like since it's black and what the texture is. I wish they made different color cases as well. For me, a wait and see approach I guess.

Tassiecelt

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2014
The case is a deal breaker

I've just bought an iPad mini with the beautiful leather smart case and cover. I would not want to give that up, let alone for the cost of it, to use this new device.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I saw a banner ad for this exact product here on MacRumors a few weeks ago. It looks pretty cool... though too pricey for my blood. :p

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
I'm not worried about constantly charging my iPad. the battery lasts 4-5 days and when i need to charge it, it sits on my desk over night. i got a stand for 15 dollars and can use my own charger with that. no need to over complicate things.

hb777

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2008
Repetitive Recharging?

In the video you can hear the iPad charging over and over again with each rotation of the device. I get the video is used to demo the convenient use of the stand in addition to charging so you're not without juice. My question is how does the frequent charge-disconnect-reconnect-disconnect as demoed in the video impact the battery life of the iPad?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.