Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
FarCry3

farcry3d3d1120121202142.png

It's a year old, but was on sale over the holidays, so I recently started FarCry3. What a great game! :) I have loved the open landscapes since the time I first saw it in a game, could it have been the original? See that mountain, climb that mountain, no screen loads required. I play on easy, because I don't think games like this are realistic, being able to take multiple shots and injecting stimulants to heal and keep going, but it's still fun and I like sneak'n through the grass and basically cruising through a game like this without sweating too much. Even on easy I've died a couple of times when I've gotten too complacent and one time attacked by a croc while swimming across a river.

The character animation is good and I love some of them such as the mohawked bad guy and the trip'n Dr Earnhardt are just too good. Definitely for adults, R rated violence, lots of F bombs, violence, and reported nudity, although I have yet to discover that yet.

A little irritated I've got to go find some bird to kill to craft a bigger wallet. I'm leaving lots of lot behind until I can find one. :rolleyes:

This trailer does a good job of selling the game: IGN Trailer.

This FarCry3 Wiki may be of help.

Last edited:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Heh, I like how you say it's a year old, as though somehow ancient or a bad thing!

Currently playing through Max Payne 3, Ghost Trick on iOS, and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis--try 21 years!

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Grid 2 mainly

I finished Grid. Grid 2 and the DLC's for it were on sale for less than $30 last week so I grabbed it. The graphics in it are awesome though there are a couple bugs they need to work out. Also been running my own trucking "company" on Euro Truck Simulator 2, may seem boring to start with but it can become addicting. I may grab COD Ghosts when it hits the shelves with all DLC's for $60, if they do that.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Heh, I like how you say it's a year old, as though somehow ancient or a bad thing!

Currently playing through Max Payne 3, Ghost Trick on iOS, and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis--try 21 years!

Absolutely not, that info mentioned just for reference. :)

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Minecraft and Kerbal Space Program right now. Sometimes I play FPS or strategy games but these two rather appeal to me.

Reactions: djohn23

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
I'm playing Skyrim now. No need for a social life. Already sank 60 hours into it and I'm not even half way through yet.

I played Far Cry 3 recently and its an awesome game but it does get a bit boring once you clear out the bad guys. I managed to find all of the relics and letters. Overall, I spent about 60 hours on it. Worthy of purchase, only downside is Uplay.

I was impressed that Far Cry 3 actually runs better than the original Crysis but I don't think Far Cry 3 looks quite as good...Far Cry 3 made my old 5870 cry though on ultra settings.

• Love
Reactions: pastrychef

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
I hated both Far Cry 1 & 2. I hated Crysis. I hated Dead Island, because of the setting. But I enjoy the jungle violence of Far Cry 3 so goddamn much!:)

Oh yeah, that first time you get you leg chewed up by a croc. Or a shark. Or a komodo dragon.:D

I am now parkour-ing through the Assassin's Creed series for the first time. I'm currently in the second instalment and while it's a very well crafted game, I feel the ingenuity of the first AC to be slowly fading away.

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
Skyrim, FTL, Battlefield 4, and KotOR (on iPad). Think I will give Dragon Age another go after I wear out Skyrim. Or I may play KotOR 2- kind of hoping for an iPad release of that though.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I forgot to say it in my OP. Right now my play list consists of:

*World of Tanks- supremely good and addictive.
*Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn but I don't predict that will last as I am preparing to jump into Everquest Next: Landmark- Alpha starts Jan/Feb 2014. FFXIV has an outstanding ecosystem and biomes, but does not have enough quests built into it to support multiple classes, and since one toon can and should carry multiple classes, due to cross class abilities, you end up grinding...
*Minecraft- amazing how big ugly blocks turn into something intriguing! :)
*Farcry3- excellent.
*Bioshock Infinite- a good game but somewhere I lost my way with it. May go back and try again.

Recently played Dota, but that's fading too, too repetitive for my tastes.
Forced- a Steam RPG of sorts- did not care for it. And I all ready mentioned this somewhere, but I'm thinking about starting up System Shock 2.

Last edited:

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
DayZ and DayZ Epoch.
So many things that are extremely annoying in those games. They are mods of Arma2 so the amount of bugs is insane.
But I absolutely love the freedom you get. Do whatever you want whenever you want. Build bases in epoch, sell gear. Its great. Takes so long though, you really need to be ready to invest a lot of time.

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Minecraft, with the New Age modpack from the Technic platform, and Thief Gold, recently on sale from gog.com for $2. Minecraft is a great time-vacuum, with the right mods or technic modpacks.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
I just started Remember Me and while the reviews were correct in their criticisms, I'm still enjoying it. The PC port is surprisingly good. It runs fluidly for the most part at 1280x800 on my MBP. So far it's been worth the $12 I paid during the recent Steam sale.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Minecraft and Kerbal Space Program right now. Sometimes I play FPS or strategy games but these two rather appeal to me.

I am semi-amazed at how negative I originally was about Mincraft and those big ugly blocks, but it has since snared me in it's grasp! Normally I don't like music in a game, but I love that Minecraft music. It's creates the perfect atmosphere for creating.

----------

The game I play is called I really want a Mac but don't have one.

But not specifically for games. ;)

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I've been playing The Stanley Parable, which is completely unique and amazing. It's a first-person exploration game where you turn up for work and find everyone has vanished, so you wander round the office while a voice in your head prompts you to go through various doors.

You can obey or ignore, with amusing consequences. It only takes a few minutes to get to the 'end' and then you're transported back to your cubicle so you can try something different. The narrator seems to remember what you've done before, and it pokes fun at videogame conventions - why can't I see my legs? What is the point of all this?

Re the original post, I played Far Cry 3 all the way to the end and hated pretty much every minute. Every base assault is the same - snipe the idiot guards from half a mile away, walk in to the deserted outpost - and that's basically all there is to do. The entire thing is variations on that theme. The characters are whiny college kids and cardboard villains. It also has two of the most miserably unsatisfying endings in any game ever, which is quite an achievement.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I am semi-amazed at how negative I originally was about Minecraft and those big ugly blocks, but it has since snared me in it's grasp! Normally I don't like music in a game, but I love that Minecraft music. It's creates the perfect atmosphere for creating.
Default Minecraft is ugly, so I use a higher-resolution resource pack. Wish I could combine Minecraft Forge and MCPatcher… but there are issues with that. Adding shaders to the game makes it gorgeous, though. To wit:

Attachments

• Minecraft.jpg
    Minecraft.jpg
    617.6 KB · Views: 1,031

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Default Minecraft is ugly, so I use a higher-resolution resource pack. Wish I could combine Minecraft Forge and MCPatcher… but there are issues with that. Adding shaders to the game makes it gorgeous, though. To wit:

How are shaders added, easy or hard, and how are they defined? IMO, Minecraft's biggest single issue is household furnishings. I imagine the biggest improvement they could make would be to allow angles other than 90°, but I guess this would add immensely to the overhead of the game. I'm about to jump into Everquest Next Landmark and that will be really good for comparison where actual developer tools are handed to players in the game. I just hope, but am not expecting that they will include some good Minecrat inspired music... :p

Although I prefer minimalist structures built into the sides of mountains, My current Minecraft project is building a mountain fortress in the distant mountains of this pic. I'll get some more screen shots in the near future.

JungleChateauTemplenight.jpg

It's also interesting that although I have a huge coop castle started on xbox Minecraft, I'm worried that I don't have as much control over the associated save files that as I do over my Mac/PC version where I can't lose them. I wish I could xfer the xbox version over to my Mac, but don't think that is possible.

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV

How are you doing this? I have a lot of the original Lucas arts games, Sierra Quest games, and others in their original boxes. Unfortunately, 5.25" disk don't translate well to a computer with no physical drives.

Playing Dragon Age: Origin and The Last Stand on Dawn of War II.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
It's not difficult to add shaders–this is the resource I used. If you need to do some fiddling, as I did, plenty of resources on YouTube (or shoot me a PM). I do play mostly under Windows though, as I get far better framerates, so whatever I know may not be directly transferable.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
How are you doing this? I have a lot of the original Lucas arts games, Sierra Quest games, and others in their original boxes. Unfortunately, 5.25" disk don't translate well to a computer with no physical drives.

Playing Dragon Age: Origin and The Last Stand on Dawn of War II.

I bought it from Steam. But since you have legal copies of the games, you can find Scummvm ROMs online and download ScummVM for OS X to run them.

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
I bought it from Steam. But since you have legal copies of the games, you can find Scummvm ROMs online and download ScummVM for OS X to run them.

I was a huge fan of the LA games while they were still 2d animation instead of the 3d bleh.

Loom
The Dig
Full Throttle
Sam & Max
Monkey Islands

Some of the ones I saw on one of my shelves last night.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It's not difficult to add shaders–this is the resource I used. If you need to do some fiddling, as I did, plenty of resources on YouTube (or shoot me a PM). I do play mostly under Windows though, as I get far better framerates, so whatever I know may not be directly transferable.

I'm dual platform. Serious gaming happens on my PC. Regarding Minecraft shaders, your link is not working for me. If it was as easy as installing a texture pack, I'd give it a try. I was just curious about how light sources are defined or if they are pre-defined in the game by the sun, moon, torches, etc. I don't know that much about it. It is a great effect.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I was a huge fan of the LA games while they were still 2d animation instead of the 3d bleh.

Loom
The Dig
Full Throttle
Sam & Max
Monkey Islands

Some of the ones I saw on one of my shelves last night.

Yeah, those are all games you can run in scummvm. The first two monkey islands were remastered with voice acting, new art and new music. I recommend them. There are OS X and iOS versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.