Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I was reading up about this app and followed the App Store link but it fails to show it.

The website http://www.snappycam.com and http://www.snappylabs.com has also gone.

Do you think it's been bought out by apple or someone?

I wouldn't be surprised - his JPEG encoder is much faster than that of Apple or Nokia. (BTW, I too recommended the dev, back in August when I talked to him that he sells his algorithm implementation to Apple or Nokia. It's so freaking good.)

BTW, it's still available on devices you've previously directly (!) downloaded it to. A screenshot I've just made proving this:

snappyam.jpg

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2007
I wouldn't be surprised - his JPEG encoder is much faster than that of Apple or Nokia. (BTW, I too recommended the dev, back in August when I talked to him that he sells his algorithm implementation to Apple or Nokia. It's so freaking good.)

BTW, it's still available on devices you've previously directly (!) downloaded it to. A screenshot I've just made proving this:

Well fair play to him if it's made him/ her big £££

Just wish I'd got it!

thenewone

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2013
I too am wondering about this mysterious disappearance! It was (is) such an amazing app.

It's probably wishful thinking, but I'm hoping that maybe the developer (jpap) is just getting ready to re-release it as a new app redesigned and revamped for iOS 7! :D

If he did happen to get a nice payday for his algorithm, then good for him (the dude is a frickin genius!)...but I hope it shows back up in some other comparable app then...or even the stock :apple: camera! :rolleyes:

thenewone

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2013
If anyone hears anything about this let us know! I'm following @jpap and @snappycam on twitter, but he has been dead silent about it since the app and website disappeared. :confused:

itouch rulz

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2008
Speculation about an acquisition in Australian papers here:

http://m.smh.com.au/digital-life/smartphone-apps/australian-smartphone-camera-app-snappycam-disappears-from-app-store-without-a-trace-20140104-30ahj.html

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2007
A friend of mine who managed to get snappycam before it was taken off the App Store says it Is now only taking pictures in black and white?

The preview is colour but when you take the photo, it's saved in monochrome. Anyone else have the same issue? Almost like it's been remotely disabled?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
A friend of mine who managed to get snappycam before it was taken off the App Store says it Is now only taking pictures in black and white?

The preview is colour but when you take the photo, it's saved in monochrome. Anyone else have the same issue? Almost like it's been remotely disabled?

He's wrong. Just tested the latest version on my iPhone 5 - no problems.

thenewone

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2013
Now that the app is gone and we likely won't see the software tech built into the native camera app til iPhone 6 and iOS 8, I decided to edit some .png's within the .app folder (jailbroken of course) to make SnappyCam look less "iOS 6ish" and more "iOS 7ish" :D lol

I really hope they :)apple:) allow the new software implementation to run on pre-iPhone 6 devices (via an iOS update), because SnappyCam really does run beautifully on the iPhone 5/5s and it would be a real shame if they artificially limit older devices (but...its Apple...so they probably will :mad:).

Anyway...given the limitations of just editing a few .png's, here is what I ended up with...:)

(if anyone wants the edited .png files just let me know ;) I only made them for iPhone 5/5c/5s though)

Attachments

• load.PNG
    load.PNG
    40.5 KB · Views: 293
  • main.PNG
    main.PNG
    636.9 KB · Views: 358
  • shoot.png
    shoot.png
    712 KB · Views: 373
  • prefs.gif
    prefs.gif
    3.3 MB · Views: 380
Last edited:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I really hope they :)apple:) allow the new software implementation to run on pre-iPhone 6 devices (via an iOS update), because SnappyCam really does run beautifully on the iPhone 5/5s and it would be a real shame if they artificially limit older devices (but...its Apple...so they probably will :mad:).

They surely won't allow it. Their feature backporting practice is by far the worst of the tech giants (MS and Google being the other two).

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Guys,

if you've missed SnappyCam but would still welcome a hack that makes shooting significantly faster and don't mind jailbreaking, there's a fairly new and free tweak "Burst mode" that raises the shooting framerate on "old" models like the iPhone 5 by about 32%. Definitely not as much as SnappyCam, though.

I've posted a detailed review of it, along with a completely new and absolutely great hack, "Slo-mo Mod”, at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1698879/

MacDude21

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2013
I dought apple will not make it available to. 5S. They need to get it to somebody so the word of how cool it is spreads. Will likely go to 6, 5S, and maybe 5C.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I dought apple will not make it available to. 5S. They need to get it to somebody so the word of how cool it is spreads. Will likely go to 6, 5S, and maybe 5C.

Don't have high hopes. I don't think current-gen devices will get it.

whatever151516

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2014
Snappycam found a better way to use the iphone camera and Apple shut them down. Now we have to take pictures one at a time ): Good job Apple! and good job to you too Google, it took me 15 minutes to figure this out.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Snappycam found a better way to use the iphone camera and Apple shut them down. Now we have to take pictures one at a time ): Good job Apple! and good job to you too Google, it took me 15 minutes to figure this out.

They will probably implement his work as a baseline feature with the next iOS. They wouldn't make a significant purchase with no intention of ever using it.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Snappycam found a better way to use the iphone camera and Apple shut them down. Now we have to take pictures one at a time )

Either upgrade to iOS7 or jailbreak and use the free(!) Burst Mode. I've talked a LOT about it at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1698879/ (along with a lot of benchmarks)

----------

For burst photography, it seems like there are some alternatives, like Superburst: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/02/20/superburst-camera/

Thanks, I'll review it (in a much more proper way as the iDownloadBlog folks - read: with precise benchmarks) and post back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.