Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last month, Dell announced several new "4K" displays for its lineup, including a teaser for an upcoming 28-inch model to be priced at "under $1000". While the pricing range was considered a breakthrough at the time, several other display manufacturers announced their own offerings at CES this week with pricing in the $800 range.

dell_p2815q.jpg
But as highlighted by Forbes, Dell has now revealed that its display will be launching on January 23 with an even lower price of $699.
The P2815Q will have a full 3840 x 2160 4K resolution and launch globally on January 23. Dell hasn't yet discussed things like refresh rate or range of inputs (I'm sure DisplayPort is a given), but they do promise the same "screen performance" as the new UltraSharp 32 and UltraSharp 24 Ultra HD monitors. That's certainly encouraging since their UltraSharp line is normally a cut above when it comes to professional displays.

The monitor will even include the ability to pivot to portrait mode as well as a range of adjustable viewing heights and angles. They'll be selling accessories too, like a stereo sound bar and monitor arm.
Plunging prices for 4K/Ultra HD displays come just as Apple has launched its new Mac Pro, with its dual graphics cards capable of supporting up to three such displays simultaneously. The latest version of Apple's Retina MacBook Pro is also capable of driving a 4K display, taking advantage of the new Thunderbolt 2 standard to handle the throughput.

Many had hoped that Apple would release its own 4K/Ultra HD display alongside the Mac Pro, but the company did not do so, instead offering Mac Pro and MacBook Pro customers the option of adding on a $3600 32-inch Sharp Ultra HD display.

Article Link: 28-Inch '4K' Display from Dell Priced at $699, Launches January 23

Scottama

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2012
One thing I've not managed to establish with any degree of certainty; will the Late 2013 iMac be able to drive one (or two?) of these 4K displays? Don't know if it's relevant, but I went for the 4GB VRAM option.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
One thing I've not managed to establish with any degree of certainty; will the Late 2013 iMac be able to drive one (or two?) of these 4K displays? Don't know if it's relevant, but I went for the 4GB VRAM option.

iMac can't drive any of them since you need Thunderbolt 2 to drive those.

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Come on Apple, with this monitor I don't think I'll be able to wait long for an updated Cinema Display

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Originally, I was going to buy a flat screen tv so I could connect it to my computer and watch movies. This is making me reconsider that plan.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
Originally, I was going to buy a flat screen tv so I could connect it to my computer and watch movies. This is making me reconsider that plan.

Its still only a 28" display and currently movies won't take advantage of the increase in resolution anyway as most all are 1080 so for watching movies you still may wanna just buy a bigger hd tv set

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Makes me rethink the 27" iMac I'll be purchasing today but knowing Apple, a retina iMac is still probably a ways off and will be more expensive when it's released.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Now that 4k monitors are becoming more affordable, I assume they'll soon be obsolete. Samsung just announced an 8k TV, so that will become the new "pro" standard (until a 32k TV is announced in a year or so :rolleyes:).

My current 1080p monitor looks incredibly clear to me. It seems like manufacturers are pushing these higher resolutions just to sell more products at higher prices. At some point, is the human eye going to be able to see that much of a difference in the image quality? I'd prefer that manufacturers work on better color accuracy and quicker response time.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
Sharp pioneers the industry, but I will take a look at these Dell 28" 4K's.

And, as someone else mentioned... Most 4K sets won't mean much till other markets catch up.

Like the price, but hesitant for now.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Been in the market for a new display. wasn't even thinking 4K yet, but if Dell's 4k display is going to be $699 and is in their IPS lineup (ultra displays), i might just hold off and buy one of those instead of one of their current models

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
My current 1080p monitor looks incredibly clear to me. It seems like manufacturers are pushing these higher resolutions just to sell more products at higher prices. At some point, is the human eye going to be able to see that much of a difference in the image quality? I'd prefer that manufacturers work on better color accuracy and quicker response time.

My old white 24" 1920x1200 (i.e. slightly more pixels that 1080p) iMac is very pixellated. Perhaps because I'm used to a retina iPhone and iPad. I have just got a 15" retina MBP, and am interested in this new monitor to complete my desktop replacement. However…

The original story says:

The latest version of Apple's Retina MacBook Pro is also capable of driving a 4K display, taking advantage of the new Thunderbolt 2 standard to handle the throughput.

But the 15" rMBP tech specs on the Apple website put the limit much lower:

Dual display and video mirroring: simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560x1600 pixels on up to two external displays, both at millions of colours

It only mentions 4K via HDMI at 30Hz, which is too low. I'm hoping the 4K via Thunderbolt is possible. Can anyone confirm that?

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
I've used Dell's monitors with my PC setup for years, and always been happy.. currently the U2410 is my primary display, thanks to the high colour accuracy.

I'm yet to see what a 4k screen will do for me, but will watch closely this develop...

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
I was only planning on buying a 32" set anyway, so it wouldn't have been that much smaller.
It's true the 1080p wouldn't take full advantage of the resolution, but I figured 4K would display it to its best advantage. Additionally, it'd make a great monitor.

Still, I'd want to wait for reviews and info on Mac compatibility.
Its still only a 28" display and currently movies won't take advantage of the increase in resolution anyway as most all are 1080 so for watching movies you still may wanna just buy a bigger hd tv set

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.