Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

T-Mobile today announced its Un-Carrier 4.0 initiative, which will see the company offering to pay up to $350 in early termination fees for individuals and families (up to five lines) who switch from AT&T, Sprint, or Verizon to T-Mobile. Coupled with phone trade-ins, customers can receive up to $650 per line to change carriers.
"We're giving families a 'Get Out of Jail Free Card,' said John Legere, president and chief executive officer of T-Mobile. "Carriers have counted on staggered contract end dates and hefty early termination fees to keep people bound to them forever. But now families can switch to T-Mobile without paying a single red cent to leave them behind."
Beginning tomorrow, customers who hand in eligible AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint devices at a participating T-Mobile location will receive an instant credit of up to $300 based on the value of the phone.

After purchasing a new device from T-Mobile, customers can send the final bill (with early termination fees) from their previous carriers to T-Mobile and the company will send an additional payment of up to $350 per line to pay those fees (actual fee paid is based on the early termination cost) in the form of a prepaid MasterCard.

tmobileetf.jpg
Trading in an old phone, purchasing a new T-Mobile phone, porting a phone number, and signing up for a new T-Mobile plan are all required to quality for T-Mobile's new program.

Earlier this month, AT&T also announced plans to offer up to $450 in credits for customers switching from T-Mobile to AT&T. The company pays up to $250 for the trade-in of a current smartphone, plus an additional $200 for transferring wireless service.

T-Mobile counts this as its fourth initiative to disrupt traditional mobile service. The first came in March when the company unveiled its "Un-Carrier" plans that uncoupled device costs from service costs, while the second and third initiatives included the company's Jump upgrade plan and its unlimited texting and 2G data in 100 countries.

T-Mobile and competitor AT&T have been participating ongoing feud in 2013, which began after T-Mobile CEO John Legere called the AT&T network "crap." Most recently, AT&T threw John Legere out of a party hosted by the company at CES 2014.

Article Link: T-Mobile's 'Un-Carrier 4.0' Initiative Offers Up to $350 Per Line to Switch Carriers

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
All down for T-Mobile succeeding, but they need to fix the inconsistent HSPA data and upgrade EDGE to at least 3G. Why so much EDGE and GPRS in 2014, T-Mobile?

Once they fix the swiss cheese coverage, they'll be a real threat to AT&T and Verizon.

Stewie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
Austin
If only they had decent coverage in my area along with better US roaming I would switch back to T-Mobile. Sadly where I live and work coverage is not very good and if you travel at all you might as well forget about tmobile. 50MB of roaming data is pathetic.

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
Bold.

I love it.

Wind is very aggressive price-wise in Canada - I wish they had the deep pockets (and built a larger, more stable network) to disrupt the collusion of the tri-opoly running the show here.

Good for T-Mobile. Excellent.

darnovo

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
why is everyone saying this is good / aggressive. I have an iPhone 5s from ATT and I'm not handing it over to TMobile for 350$. This would be an amazing deal if they just flat out paid your ETF fees for taking the leap and switching. However, they are paying you 350$ for your iPhone that you could sell on eBay for 500$

Give me 350$ no questions asked to switch to you TMobile, and I will

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Wow... I just may cancel my VZ now... lol, even if Tmobile is inferior at the moment.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
why is everyone saying this is good / aggressive. I have an iPhone 5s from ATT and I'm not handing it over to TMobile for 350$. This would be an amazing deal if they just flat out paid your ETF fees for taking the leap and switching. However, they are paying you 350$ for your iPhone that you could sell on eBay for 500$

Oh, I mis-read, I agree :(

LiquidSpikes

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
Everett, WA
"Earlier this month, AT&T also announced plans to offer up to $450 in credits for customers switching from the carrier to T-Mobile."

I think this is wrong, its supposed to say from T-Mobile to AT&T? right?

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Didn't tmobile just pick up a different lower frequency band off Verizon's network for a few billion? Sounds like their service will start to pick up as well.

Let me keep my devices and pay any etf and I'd switch back.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
"Earlier this month, AT&T also announced plans to offer up to $450 in credits for customers switching from the carrier to T-Mobile."

I think this is wrong, its supposed to say from T-Mobile to AT&T? right?

Yep, thanks for catching that. Fixed.

darnovo

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
Oh, I mis-read, I agree :(

Actually I think I misread... I'm an idiot... they give you 300$ for your phone and then an additional 350$ to switch. Gotcha. So 650$ total. Way better than when I thought but still I'd rather get 350$ to tell ATT goodbye and sell the phone on eBay

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010

They call it aggressive because T-Mobile pays $350 plus the value of your phone, up to $300. Almost $650 for switching. I think it's pretty aggressive.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

you still have to pay the AT&T ETF first to get it unlocked

this is not the best deal, but its pretty easy and not time consuming

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Actually I think I misread... I'm an idiot... they give you 300$ for your phone and then an additional 350$ to switch. Gotcha. So 650$ total. Way better than when I thought but still I'd rather get 350$ to tell ATT goodbye and sell the phone on eBay

I agree, except tell VZ goodbye.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.