Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Audio recording company Apogee has announced two new devices, including the MiC 96k professional digital microphone and the JAM 96k guitar interface adapter for Mac, iPhone, and iPad.

apogee_mic_96k-800x508.jpg
The MiC 96k combines a microphone, preamp, and an analog-to-digital converter in a compact package, which can output 24-bit/96 KHZ audio recording. The product's body includes a steel-mesh housing with a gain control knob and multicolor LED, and a port on the bottom that is compatible with Apple's Lightning and 30-pin connector or a USB interface. Garageband and Logic are compatible with the MiC 96k out of the box, with iOS apps also supported.

apogee_jam_96k-800x604.jpg
Meanwhile, the JAM 96k is compatible with electric, bass, and acoustic guitars accompanied by pickups, and can also yield 24-bit/96 KHZ audio recording. The device also features upgraded sound quality from Apogee's JAM, including tube amp tone emulation, a built in analog-to-digital converter and instrument preamp. The device comes with connection cables for iOS devices and the Mac, and is compatible with Garageband, Logic, and various iOS apps.

The MiC 96k and JAM 96k retail for $229 and $129 respectively, and will be available soon from Apogee's online store.

Article Link: Apogee Debuts MiC 96k Microphone and JAM 96k Guitar Interface for Mac, iPhone, and iPad

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
It was more like 3 months, but that’s neither here nor there really - these products aren’t new at all - I remember reading about them back in early November.

I actually have the older MiC (since it was the only one available at the time) and I would have gotten the newer one if I had the option to get it back then, but I can say that the MiC is really nice for my needs.

Marzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2002
The Desert
I bought a Jam 96K in my local Apple Store two weeks ago, and I could have sworn it has been readily available for several months now?

Doc C

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2013
I bought a Jam 96K in my local Apple Store two weeks ago, and I could have sworn it has been readily available for several months now?

How does it compare to the older one (if you can compare)?
Or have you tried any of the alternatives?

My kids all play guitar and so I'm thinking of getting this for them to allow them to interface better with Garage Band - unless there's a better way...

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
A 96k solid state mic for $229? I wouldn't bet on premium quality. My Apogee Trak 2's breakout box cost more than that. I'm sure it sounds ok but the fact that it has a tube preamp emulator leads me to believe this mic will be extrememly sterile sounding. Upside is I don't have to bring my rack to record a scratch session or any on location recording.

Marzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2002
The Desert
How does it compare to the older one (if you can compare)?
Or have you tried any of the alternatives?
My kids all play guitar and so I'm thinking of getting this for them to allow them to interface better with Garage Band - unless there's a better way...
I haven't used the previous version of JAM- I had interfaced guitars with an Apogee Duet. I got the Jam because my wife works at home and doesn't appreciate me "practicing" thru my Mesa amp, and I wanted something quick and easy thru Garage Band/iPad instead of having to fire up my entire studio. That said, Apogee has always had excellent convertors, and I would imagine Jam would be the best dedicated guitar interface out there.

Doc C

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2013
I haven't used the previous version of JAM- I had interfaced guitars with an Apogee Duet. I got the Jam because my wife works at home and doesn't appreciate me "practicing" thru my Mesa amp, and I wanted something quick and easy thru Garage Band/iPad instead of having to fire up my entire studio. That said, Apogee has always had excellent convertors, and I would imagine Jam would be the best dedicated guitar interface out there.

Sorry for persisting with this, but all of this is completely foreign to me:

Right now, my kids are using some sort of device that takes the guitar output and converts it to USB (a TASCAM unit, I believe). They are using a maxed out 2012 Mac mini as their home studio computer, and in addition to the two guitars, they have a Roland digital piano plugged in via MIDI to USB (a Roland adapter of some sort). They want to add a digital drum set - god help our ears... - and then maybe a mic if they can get a singer. There's four of them now, and often they get a friend or two to come and join in when they jam.

It's all run into Garage Band when they record, since it seems to do all they want. I don't know what other software would add that they would need (their ages range from 7 to 15, but they are fairly sophisticated when it comes to computers and music). I've set up a TV to use as a monitor, so they can see from across the room, although the resolution is poor, I was thinking of getting a Seiki 4K if the mini can support it (they are apparently only about $750 for a smaller one).

My goal is to keep them engaged in music and technology; I'm not expecting to create the next Rolling Stones or Pink Floyd or Oasis Coldplay or whatever (perhaps I'm biased, but I would have to apologize to the world if I was responsible for the next Justin Bieber...)

Having said all that - can anyone chime in as to what I can or should do to slowly upgrade the setup to allow them to continue to experiment and grow?

Thanks in advance for any guidance

(ps. right now, they play songs ranging from Sultans of Swing, Hotel California, Demons [by Imagine Dragons], Beautiful Day, Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Stairway to Heaven, etc)

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Having said all that - can anyone chime in as to what I can or should do to slowly upgrade the setup to allow them to continue to experiment and grow?

I can't say enough for the game Rocksmith 2014, which is available for Mac (hooray!), as well as PC, Xbox 360 and PS3. It's really a great learning/practicing tool for guitar and bass. It really keeps me engaged and motivated, something I've struggled with for many unsuccessful years of trying to learn guitar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.