Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its Apple Store app in the U.S., replacing the previously available Holiday Playlist with a new free app, the 7 Minute Workout Challenge. Seven minute workouts gained popularity in 2013 as a quick way to complete a rigorous workout, and 7 Minute Workout Challenge is one of the more popular fitness apps in the category, with a 4.5 star rating and a $1.99 price tag.

7minuteworkout.jpg
The app includes a random selection of 12 different exercises that are each performed for 30 seconds with 10 second rest intervals in between. According to research, this seven minute workout is the equivalent of working out for more than an hour and it requires no specialized equipment.

There are both male and female trainers that guide app users through exercises using video, audio, images, and text. There's also an included weight tracker and activity calendar to keep track of fitness levels, and the app includes achievements to motivate its users.

To get a free copy of 7 Minute Workout Challenge, iPhone owners will need to download the Apple Store app and click on the "Jump into the new year" section. This will take users to the iTunes Store, automatically inputting a code for the app download.

7 Minute Workout Challenge will be available until February 20, 2014, before being replaced with a new offering. The free app is limited to the iPhone version of the Apple Store app and is not available in the iPad version.

The Apple Store app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: '7 Minute Workout Challenge' Available for free From Apple Store App

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
These seven minute workouts are the equivalent of an hour workout? What kind of workout?

I guarantee you that the hour I spend pushing heavy weights in the gym produces results that 7 minute programs can only dream of.

If it's this or sit on your ass, then it's great. If it's stop with serious gym work and do 7 minutes without equipment, then they are full of it.

iPhD

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
Can't find the link

Can someone give me a nudge toward the "Jump into the new year" section?

I can find the app directly but it is not free. Alas, I cannot find the breadcrumb trail as described above so that the code is entered for free-ness.

Any help appreciated.

----
a mere few seconds later... As Roseanna Roseannadanna would say: Never mind. I was in the wrong app app. Apple Store app vs. App Store app continues to trip me up.

Last edited:

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Oh my, check out the video of the girl doing jumping jacks in the video. I think I'll definitely get some workouts from this app!

Last edited:

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT

I can find the app directly but it is not free. Alas, I cannot find the breadcrumb trail as described above so that the code is entered for free-ness.

Any help appreciated.

Are you searching on your iPhone? It is free from iPhone store, $1.99 from computer. I couldn't find jump into new year either.

that1guyy

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2011

Any help appreciated.

Same. There is no "Jump into the new year" section but the app is not free if you go to it directly.But there are other 7 minute workout apps that are free though.

mainer4101

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2013
You have to download the Apple Store app from the app store. Then open the Apple Store app, and scroll down. "Jump into the new year" is right after "Get in shape and stay there" and right before "Upgrade your iPhone."

Then it will take you to a page where you need to "redeem a code" and then your download will begin automatically.

iPhD

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
Are you searching on your iPhone? It is free from iPhone store, $1.99 from computer. I couldn't find jump into new year either.

I finally found it. <sheesh> Using the Apple Store app, there is a Jump into the new year section just as pictured in the article.

Magic happens and you are moved into the App Store app and the Redeem a code function. I clicked on … well, I don't know what I clicked on … I think Redeem and the app downloaded for free.

Wow. I need caffeine. That was way too hard.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012

Any help appreciated.

----
a mere few seconds later... As Roseanna Roseannadanna would say: Never mind. I was in the wrong app app. Apple Store app vs. App Store app continues to trip me up.

Same. There is no "Jump into the new year" section but the app is not free if you go to it directly.But there are other 7 minute workout apps that are free though.

Are you guys looking in the U.S. version of the Apple Store app? Sometimes it takes a bit of time to populate since it is an over-the-air update.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Are you guys looking in the U.S. version of the Apple Store app? Sometimes it takes a bit of time to populate since it is an over-the-air update.

I am in the US store and the last thing at the bottom of the page (both on mac and iPhone) is get in shape.

Maybe hasn't refreshed. But as I said, searching directly from iPhone found it fine.

EDIT: Now I understand it is the APPLE STORE App, not the APP STORE App. Confusingly similar names when you are looking for a free app, but it was my bad.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Is this like 7 minute abs from Something About Mary?

Exactly what I thought. They did it as a joke and now they have it in real life. Kind of like how Pulp Fiction did a whole joke about a five dollar milkshake and now it's not hard to find those either.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
These seven minute workouts are the equivalent of an hour workout? What kind of workout?
From the app:

Backed by peer-reviewed scientific research, the “7 minute workout” is becoming an international hit. The authors, Brett Kilka (C.S.C.S., B.S.) and Chris Jordan (M.S., C.S.C.S.) have written a very comprehensive research article that should really be read in its entirety.

http://mobile.journals.lww.com/acsm...ewer.aspx?year=2013&issue=05000&article=00005

For those with little time or patience – here is our summary:

The researchers have put together 12 exercises that can be performed in seven minutes but achieve the equivalent of an hour’s workout. The catch is the following: you need to do them to the best of your abilities (high-intensity) and rest very little in between (10 seconds only). When rest intervals are too long though, it undermines the effectiveness of the workout. The 7 Minute Workout effectively increases your metabolism, so the benefits are in effect throughout the day.

The article goes into great detail as to why these 12 exercises were chosen in particular – it was not a random selection. For the sake of brevity, we have left out the details. From a practical standpoint though, we will point out that the exercises do not require any equipment, and therefore, can be performed anywhere and anytime. The researchers recommend doing the circuit 2-3 times if time allows.

What is the basis behind the workout though?

There is no debate in the fitness community that regular aerobic and resistance training results in increased physical energy, prevention of fatigue, decrease in insulin resistance (a major factor in Type II Diabetes development) and weight loss.

Traditional resistance training involves lifting weights for 8-12 repetitions and taking 1-2 minutes of rest. As a result, the sessions are rather long at 30 to 60 minutes and need to be done several times a week.

The “7 Minute Workout” does not abide by those rules. This engineered workout is based upon the concept of high-intensity circuit training or HICT. It is a combination of high-intensity aerobic and resistance training with limited rest placed in between. Numerous cited studies have shown that HICT achieves GREATER gains in SHORTER overall exercise time, than traditional workout routines.

What are the workout’s limitations?

The researches state that “although HICT can be an efficient means by which to improve health and decrease body fat, it may be inferior to creating absolute strength and power, specific endurance, and other specific performance variables”. In short, this is the routine for the masses, not the elite. If you are an athlete, this workout is likely not for you. This is for those with busy lives that want to simply become or stay healthy and wish to achieve that goal with minimal time commitment.

Will do good

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Earth

I guarantee you that the hour I spend pushing heavy weights in the gym produces results that 7 minute programs can only dream of.

If it's this or sit on your ass, then it's great. If it's stop with serious gym work and do 7 minutes without equipment, then they are full of it.

Completely agreed, there's no short cut to health.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
Exactly what I thought. They did it as a joke and now they have it in real life. Kind of like how Pulp Fiction did a whole joke about a five dollar milkshake and now it's not hard to find those either.

It's not a joke, it's just not a "full workout program". However, it's a great way to energize in the morning and get your metabolism boosted for people who aren't quite ready to get into heading to the gym for an hour at a clip. Or for when you're busy and just need to get your heart pumping again.

I guarantee you I can give you a workout that's 16 minutes long and needs nothing more than a pullup bar and you'll be pretty shattered by the end of it.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
What are the workout’s limitations?

The researches state that “although HICT can be an efficient means by which to improve health and decrease body fat, it may be inferior to creating absolute strength and power, specific endurance, and other specific performance variables”. In short, this is the routine for the masses, not the elite. If you are an athlete, this workout is likely not for you. This is for those with busy lives that want to simply become or stay healthy and wish to achieve that goal with minimal time commitment.

This. Thanks for posting these details. Too often people use terms like "fit" or "healthy" without clarifying what they mean. I am diabetic, and a fitness buff so I take exercise very seriously and 7 minutes is going to be a big decrease for me, even if it saves me some time.

However, I got the app, because it would be great to use when traveling if I don't have equipment at my disposal.

sambredeson

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
Chicago, IL (Oak Park)

Pushing heavy weights around is great for building muscle, but it actually does very little for your overall health. There are all kinds of people in the world with huge muscles but that couldn't run a mile if they had to.

A 7-minute workout with no equipment almost certainly focuses on increased heart and breathing rate, which both do much more for your general health than large muscles.

In short, you are right that this workout can only dream of the results your heavy weights provide, but the opposite is also true.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Pushing heavy weights around is great for building muscle, but it actually does very little for your overall health. There are all kinds of people in the world with huge muscles but that couldn't run a mile if they had to.

A 7-minute workout with no equipment almost certainly focuses on increased heart and breathing rate, which both do much more for your general health than large muscles.

In short, you are right that this workout can only dream of the results your heavy weights provide, but the opposite is also true.

True, and for the vast majority of people this will meet their needs and be a big improvement over being sedentary.

I have other issues though. I have a specific arthritis that attacks the spine, so I do Yoga and Pilates. Yes, men do Pilates and if you want a rock-hard core it is awesome.

I try to get in some treadmill work to keep the cardio in shape, but while Yoga and Pilates are not designed to be aerobic, they still seem to provide similar benefits.

I actually wish I could only spend 7 minutes woking out, but I have a body that demands substantial exercise. As a side effect, I don't look anywhere near my age, but if I stop few even a few days, I start to get in trouble.

jonAppleSeed

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2013

You do these during your cutting phase, not a replacement for your bulk phase.

I usually put on 2 - 5 lbs of fat for every 7 - 10 lbs of muscle. Stuff like P90X works wonders to trim the fat but you need to keep your macros in check to keep the muscle gain during the cut.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.