Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk3pt1c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
a simulacrum
Dreamweaver feels too outdated nowadays...

Setting up a new mac next week and have been asking around.

There's Brackets, Coda, Sublime Text etc

Looking for a sleek interface with some autocomplete help if possible in case i forget something...

Will probably couple with CodeKit and/or Ghostlab for compile/test.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
That's interesting, how do you combine the two?

I like to hand code in Coda 2 to become better at it. But I prefer to use Dreamweaver/Mamp Pro for testing, file management and uploading. I also like DW because of its cross-platform integration with Adobe's other software.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Coda2 for web

XCode for iOS ( I know obvious, right).

Netbeans for Java. ( actually I switch back and forth between netbeans and eclipse depending on client ).

sk3pt1c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
a simulacrum
Coda2 for web

XCode for iOS ( I know obvious, right).

Netbeans for Java. ( actually I switch back and forth between netbeans and eclipse depending on client ).

Used Eclipse on Windows in my last job, hated it!:)

Coda 2 does look pretty promising indeed, seems like a good enough alternative to Dreamweaver and i guess yoi can customize it quite a lot with plugins, right?

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Used Eclipse on Windows in my last job, hated it!:
What's a Windows? :)

Yes you can add quite a few plugins, I've only added a couple. You can absolutely switch the GUI around to better suit your workflow.

Eclipse does take getting used to.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011

I've used Eclipse in the past and its good if you are working with multiple languages and/or XML stuff.

Netbeans is worth a look - somebody already mentioned it as a tool for Java, but the latest version has pretty good HTML, CSS, PHP and Javascript support, including Javascript debugging via Chrome.

Its sort of similar in concept to Eclipse but not quite so huge, and maybe somewhat friendlier.

I've pretty much given up on WYSIWYG web editors a la Dreamweaver - if you don't want to get down and dirty with the HTML then these days you're probably better off using a content management system.

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
I was a huge fan of Coda and Coda 2 but I tried Aptana and was really thrilled. The auto-completion worked better, multi-platform and free. Aptana also let you edit remote files from within the editor.

Coda2 have mysql support built-in which is missing in Aptana but I use phpmyadmin anyway.

Both are great choice.

iPaintCode

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Metro Detroit
I combined the powers of Sublime Text 3 and YEOMAN. Never a need for anything else, need server? grunt serve/server, need to run unit test? grunt test, and the list goes on. Command Line + SublimeText 2/3 is a really powerful thing.

Though I really like the GUI Panic has going on for Coda 2 but not really my cup of tea. Nice to see it has Sequel Pro built in, and of course Transmit. Great app for people that don't need the powers of CLI.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
don't know if this counter productive.

but I always code html/css in textmate, and using css/html cheatsheet.
so that I can work on any platform : win,mac, linux

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I combined the powers of Sublime Text 3 and YEOMAN. Never a need for anything else, need server? grunt serve/server, need to run unit test? grunt test, and the list goes on. Command Line + SublimeText 2/3 is a really powerful thing.

Though I really like the GUI Panic has going on for Coda 2 but not really my cup of tea. Nice to see it has Sequel Pro built in, and of course Transmit. Great app for people that don't need the powers of CLI.

Hey Mark, is it worth making the switch over to Sublime 3 from 2?

----------

Used Eclipse on Windows in my last job, hated it!:)

Coda 2 does look pretty promising indeed, seems like a good enough alternative to Dreamweaver and i guess yoi can customize it quite a lot with plugins, right?

I bought Coda2 just after it was released very excitedly like a number of other people did. And I've probably used it a handful of times since then.

Since using Sublime Text, I can't imagine using anything else. Sublime Text + the Emmet plugin have made the biggest difference to the way I work.

On the other hand, Coda looks pretty nice and it's got a decent FTP solution. Some benefits to it, but also a lot of crap that you'd probably never bother to use.

Also, learn Chrome Dev Tools. They are ace, and help a lot.

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
Coda 2 and/or Sublime Text. Both are great.

I use Coda since v1 and I'm very happy. I like the fact that you have access to FTP (Transmit), MySQL and sync'ed Clips (over iCloud). I mostly type my code by hand so I can't really comment on the auto-complete. But the few times I used it, it was fine.

I like the plugins and (the default) dark theme of Sublime Text. I find it to be like a super BBEdit. My major complaint is the fact that you can't buy it on the MAS so you must install it manually every time you set-up a new Mac. I know it's not much of a problem but I really like the fact that Coda is on MAS and iCloud 'enabled' since I use it on 3 of my Macs.

O/T but I tried Diet Coda (Coda for iPad) during the holidays and find it very interesting. Of course, it's a remote-only editing tool but I liked the fact that you can use SSH Terminal and do most of the 'quick-fixes' (rename/copy/edit) on the road... with an Internet connection, that is! But a think that $20 is a bit high for a companion tool (although, you could use it as a (basic) standalone app). Anyway, I like the way this app is going. Likely the closest to a 'real' mobile editor IMO.

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
I use Smultron on 10.5.8 at work for websites. At home, I use Taco HTML Edit and TextWrangler, since I run 10.4.6. TextEdit will work in Plain Text Mode on any OS X version. The point is, know what you are doing with the code and write clean code.

Understand what you are trying to accomplish and try to minimize file sizes. Clean code is good code. Don't believe me, look at what people do with MS software products, bloat.

To write good code, you need to understand HTML, CSS and how web pages are read by browsers. Apps like Dreamweaver mask the mundane with a interface that a fifth-grader could understand.

Learn how the web works and then choose your app.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Had Komodo Edit 6 on my system. Updated to 8.5 and have to say I really like it. Wish it had TextMate's ability to run Ruby and RSPec files directly but a terminal window and a little typing is not hard either. :D

Thanks,

What's a Windows? :)

Yes you can add quite a few plugins, I've only added a couple. You can absolutely switch the GUI around to better suit your workflow.

Sublime Text2 and Komodo Edit 8

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.