Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

pacman.jpg
Namco Bandai's classic PAC-MAN app has been named Apple's App of the Week, and as a result, it is available for free for the first time since its initial 2011 release.

PAC-MAN is based on the classic arcade game and the gameplay focuses on navigating Pac-Man to eat pellets and fruit while avoiding ghosts. Along with the original maze, the game offers eight other mazes that all feature ghost-free bonus modes.
Who can forget the countless hours and quarters spent avoiding pesky ghosts while chompin' on pellets and gobbling up fruit for bonus points?

- Arcade perfect classic PAC-MAN
- 8 new mazes for all new challenges
- Two different control modes
- Three game difficulties
- Retina display support
During its years on the App Store, PAC-MAN has ranged in price from $0.99 to $6.99, but it has not been offered at no cost. The app, which can be downloaded from the App Store, will be free for the next week. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'PAC-MAN' Named App of the Week, Available for Free

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Classic. I bought it a while back though. Guess I can get it for free now on the iPad.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
lol all the freebies that came out today are much better than anything they gave on the 12d app

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Look at all the shiny new In-App Purchases!

What an amazing coincidence that they are available just as the app becomes free.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Hehe, that's how it goes these day. Real unfortunate, I'd rather pay for the app and enjoy it as it's intended, than to get it for free and be bothered by countless yap'.

Last edited:

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
Watch out for the in-app purchases. Refilling your Continues costs tokens, and so does entering the weekly challenges. You also need to buy the "8 new mazes" mentioned in the description.

It's not the best deal at $6.99 with so much IAP.

Last edited:

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Was excited until I saw IAP. IAP != Free. This is bait and switch. First hit's free.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Hehe, that's goes it goes these day. Real unfortunate, I'd rather pay for the app and enjoy it as it's intended, than to get it for free and be bothered by countless yap'.

Yeah, but you didn't buy it, did you? So now it's freemium.

If the resistance to IAP were in any way as strong as some folks believe there'd be more straight purchase games in the Top Grossing chart. There are probably 3 out of 50. If you want the old ways back you have a heck of a lot of spending to do.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
lol all the freebies that came out today are much better than anything they gave on the 12d app

Most of the giveaways on 12 Days of Gifts were ho hum at best, but I did enjoy Hugo and Diary of a Wimpy Kids.

N64

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
Lost Woods
The extreme obsession with IAP is why I don't game much anymore on iOS.

Same pretty much. I play Pheonix Wright and Nintendo games in emulators still since they don't have any IAPs.

----------

"PAC-MAN is based on the classic arcade game and the gameplay focuses on navigating Pac-Man to eat pellets and fruit while avoiding ghosts. Along with the original maze, the game offers eight other mazes that all feature ghost-free bonus modes."

The sad part is that this might be news to some native-born American kids.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Big let down, bad and laggy controls. And why Pac-Man, Ms Pac-Man is so much better?

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
Wondering why MacRumors links to a 3rd party web site instead of linking directly to the app on the iTunes store? :rolleyes:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Wondering why MacRumors links to a 3rd party web site instead of linking directly to the app on the iTunes store? :rolleyes:

Not third-party exactly: AppShopper IS a web site created by MacRumors. (And I personally prefer AppShopper links: you're still one click away from the App Store, but you ALSO have the ability to Wishlist an item. Ironically, TouchArcade--another MR sister site--usually doesn't use AppShopper links, and I wish they would!)

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Not third-party exactly: AppShopper IS a web site created by MacRumors. (And I personally prefer AppShopper links: you're still one click away from the App Store, but you ALSO have the ability to Wishlist an item.

Not sure if you're aware, but now the App Store itself lets you add apps to a wishlist, as well.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
The extreme obsession with IAP is why I don't game much anymore on iOS.

Me too. I try and avoid anything with IAP. I can't believe that devs think people want this. Just charge me for the game or app and let me be done with it.

The developer of this app loses now.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If it isn't a link to iTunes, it's 3rd party.

So it is a self promoting ad link. Still just as annoying.
If the link is to a site owned by the the same organization that owns the site that posts the story with the link, would that be more like 2nd party or something since it wouldn't really be 3rd party in the usual sense of going to yet another completely different party unrelated to the first two. ;)

Sometimes going to an iTunes link doesn't present anything useful and only asks to open iTunes which a lot of people wouldn't usually care to do at the time (assuming they even have iTunes installed). So sometimes another site might not be that bad in comparison to situations like that.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Me too. I try and avoid anything with IAP. I can't believe that devs think people want this. Just charge me for the game or app and let me be done with it.

The developer of this app loses now.

You've had five and a half years to reward Namco for offering the game as a straight sale and you think suddenly boycotting the game now is going bite them?

Its too late to make a stink. You and other IAP whiners had your chance to make the alternative models viable.

See the guy above who's so incensed by IAP from various developers that he turns to emulated Nintendo games. Excuse me if I presume that Nintendo doesn't get a penny out of this arrangement. You only have yourselves to blame. If you won't pay for what you want, companies will make stuff other people want instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.