Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's Lunar New Year sale kicked off today in several Asian countries, with discounts available on a wide range of Apple products.

Unlike the Black Friday sale in held in the United States and other countries in November, today's sale includes price cuts on both the iPhone 4s/5c/5s and the Retina iPad mini. Apple does not typically offer discounts on its iPhones, making this year's Lunar New Year sale somewhat unusual.

iphonelunarnewyear.jpg
Lunar New Year discounts are cash-based rather than gift-card based like the Black Friday sales in the United States. For that reason, the deals are slightly more modest, similar to the cash deals that were available in Europe.

Apple is offering a discount of HK$ 390 off of full-priced iPhones, which equates to approximately $50 off. The iPad Air is available at a discount of HK$ 310 ($40) and the Retina iPad mini is HK$ 230 off ($30). There are also slight discounts available for the iPad mini and the iPad 2, of HK$ 150 ($19) and HK$ 230 ($30).

Macs are also on sale, with a flat discount of HK$ 770 ($99) available on all models. There are minor discounts on the iPod nano, the iPod touch, the Apple TV, and several other Apple accessories including headphones, iPhone/iPad cases, and more.

The Lunar New Year sale is one day only in several Asian countries including China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, and Thailand.

Article Link: Apple's Lunar New Year Sale Includes Discounts on iPhone and Retina iPad Mini

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
I wish Apple would expand these kind of sales throughout the world when ever they happen.

ZildjianLudwig

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
I wish Apple would expand these kind of sales throughout the world when ever they happen.
I wish MacRumors would create a separate RSS feed for international-news that has absolutely zero relevance to their US audience, which is almost certainly the majority of their audience.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I wish MacRumors would create a separate RSS feed for international-news that has absolutely zero relevance to their US audience, which is almost certainly the majority of their audience.

I would doubt that, this site is utilized my residents of many countries.

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005

Absolutely! I mean its so freakin hard to just skip to next article (appx) once or twice Every Single Week. It's not like there's even people outside the US of A, let alone people who maybe interested in apple! So better stop posting this crap MR....

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Mac mini and Mac Pro are excluded. I have never seen a current-gen, brand new Mac mini discounted by this much anywhere in the world.

http://store.apple.com/hk/buy-mac/mac-mini

especially when the Mac mini is more than 1.5 years old...

----------

Okay... A US$55 discount for the iPad mini retina + Smart Cover ...I think it may not be worth the hassle for returning the one I just bought last week...!

C00rDiNaT0r

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
New York, New York
especially when the Mac mini is more than 1.5 years old...

----------

Okay... A US$55 discount for the iPad mini retina + Smart Cover ...I think it may not be worth the hassle for returning the one I just bought last week...!

It's less than 2 weeks, so maybe you can ask for a price adjustment?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

I guess the Hong Kong Store won't be so benevolent... at most they will let me return it and have me order (now back ordered to nearly a week) it again online :( let me give them a call a few minutes later when the store opens.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

Just found the terms on Apple's website:

Price Reductions
Should Apple permanently reduce its price on any Apple-branded product or launch a new product within fourteen (14) calendar days of your purchase, you may (i) request a refund of the difference between the price paid and the current selling price or (ii) exchange your previous generation product for the newly launched product at the current selling price (as availability allows). An original purchase receipt is required, and you must request your refund or exchange within 14 days of the price reduction or new product launch. Please note that this policy does not apply to limited-time price drops or special offers, such as price reductions that occur during holiday sales events.

:(

Update: Just gave a call to Apple Store Hong Kong and they promised to refund the difference to me, by "returning" and "re-buying" the same iPad that I already have, so that I don't need to actually return the iPad physically.
Definitely loving their service.

Update #2: Apple Stores are so crowded at the moment that people queued up outside of the IFC Store. Don't know how long will my refund journey take.

Last edited:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

If they were going to do that then why not anti legal feeds for the folks that don't want to hear about all the gorram lawsuits. Or anti Digitimes feeds. Or 'this isn't even about Apple' feeds

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Okay folks, I went to the Apple Store in IFC mall, Hong Kong after work and was told that I could only get a refund of the price difference if I brought with me the original box. So I went back home, took the original boxes with me and went to the store again and finally got the refund. They basically refunded the whole original purchase amount, and let me "buy" the same machine and the Smart Cover again with the discounted price.

samar prit

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2014
test forum

Apple's Lunar New Year sale kicked off today in several Asian countries, with discounts available on a wide range of Apple products. please have look at our get your own stock quotes.

Unlike the Black Friday sale in held in the United States and other countries in November, today's sale includes price cuts on both the iPhone 4s/5c/5s and the Retina iPad mini. you can make your stock charts. Apple does not typically offer discounts on its iPhones, making this year's Lunar New Year sale somewhat unusual. you can easily get the details from stock screener

samar prit

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2014
test forum

Apple today announced its annual Lunar New Year sale, a one day event for Asian countries that is also known as "Red Friday" because of its similarity to November's Black Friday sales. stock watch

During the event, which takes place three weeks before the Lunar New Year, Apple will be offering deals on Macs, iPads, iPods, and accessories like the Smart Cover.stock ticker. It is unclear whether Apple will offer traditional price cuts or instead give customers gift cards with purchase as it did in the United States during Black Friday. In previous years, Apple has offered modest cash discounts on products. stock quotes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.