Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you use your desktop for?

• I use my desktop for work.

Votes: 66 42.6%
  • I use it for play.

Votes: 66 42.6%
  • I don't have a desktop, I use my laptop.

Votes: 50 32.3%
  • I use it for school.

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • I find desktops impractical.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 22 14.2%

• Total voters

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
With the decline of PC/MAC desktops, I want to know what those of you who still use/own a desktop what you do on it. I'm one of those people who have always had a computer in my house. I have used them to read (I have always enjoyed reading ebooks on my computers) and keep list of what I have for both enjoyment and insurance (my hobbies tend to go the way of collections). I have completely transfered my CD collection and am working on my DVDs and ebooks. I am a bookkeeper by nature. With the new MacPro it's more having the advantage of a smaller size because I always keep my records on external drives and backed up on DVDs.

My Mac is the base model and I don't forsee my needing any upgrades for another year or so, if ever ;) . I do take a lot of pictures and mini movies, I do keep a journal and think about transfering my papers but have not done so yet and I do have a keyboard because I always think about making some music but that's the extent of it.

Again, what do you use your desktop for?

Attachments

• iPhone0102 145.JPG
    iPhone0102 145.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 496

fireman32

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I have a 2011 MBP that doubles as my desktop. I have it hooked up to an external monitor ans use the laptop display as a 2nd screen

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
i haven't had a desktop for like 7 or 8 years. although i was thinking about getting the iMac but going to college i knew i would need a laptop so i got the macbook.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I have a Windows desktop in the self-storage. I will plan to use it for file server if no one wants to buy it. :apple:

IMG_5226.JPG

Last edited:

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
I use mine for just about everything...

Photography, listening to music, TV, Radio 4, 3D modelling and illustration, work - mainly low level web stuff (CMS), Celestia, UI Themeing, shopping when I have some spare cash.

Really need a better mac though.

mattbaar26

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
With the decline of PC/MAC desktops, I want to know what those of you who still use/own a desktop what you do on it. I'm one of those people who have always had a computer in my house. I have used them to read (I have always enjoyed reading ebooks on my computers) and keep list of what I have for both enjoyment and insurance (my hobbies tend to go the way of collections). I have completely transfered my CD collection and am working on my DVDs and ebooks. I am a bookkeeper by nature. With the new MacPro it's more having the advantage of a smaller size because I always keep my records on external drives and backed up on DVDs.

My Mac is the base model and I don't forsee my needing any upgrades for another year or so, if ever ;) . I do take a lot of pictures and mini movies, I do keep a journal and think about transfering my papers but have not done so yet and I do have a keyboard because I always think about making some music but that's the extent of it.

Again, what do you use your desktop for?

No desktop for me, what keyboard is that though?

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2010
Ive just switched back to having a desktop, after using a MacbookPro with a monitor for a few years.

Baseline Mini (with SSD) and external Drives - Houses iTunes library, which i'm slowing ripping TV shows into (Only finished Dexter, Two and a Half Men and Breaking Bad) right now, as well as all my Music and stuff.

I also use it for Cubase, and when i'm sat at my desk just for web browsing etc. I also watch shows on it in bed every night, and use Remote for iPhone to control.

Then I've got a MacbookAir, i carry it around for school, but mainly it sits on my desk next to my Mac Mini, and i use both at the same time, if i'm watching something on the Mini, i'll use the Air to check Facebook or whatever, or i'f i'm working on something in Cubase, i'll use the Air as a reference machine.

They both have their own place, and i like my setup how it is now :)

iCloud makes syncing them super easy too.

50voltphantom

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2011
Web browsing, photo editing, movie/iTunes server, remote tech support, IM, shopping, personal finance...

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
The iMac's desktop processor, 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 27" 2560x1440(The resolution is just fantastic) make it my CAD workhorse machine. AutoCAD for Mac is a dream on this machine. So much so that I plan to get 8GB of RAM for the Macbook and put my 16gb in the iMac. While GPU-wise it's only a 6770M, it plays all the games I want to play at at-least high on 1080p, if not full resolution.

The 1TB in the iMac also makes it my windows machine. I love the iMac setup over running my Macbook on an external monitor.

While I love the speed of my cMBP, I now wish I had gone for the MBA or 13"cMBP/rMBP. I can usually wait until I get home to use my iMac for gaming and heavy tasks. I need to take my macbook to school, but lugging around my 15" aluminum brick can be a pain sometimes.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Photo editing (and storing) using mainly Lightroom 5 but other software as well.
My iTunes library that I can stream to my ATV.
Watching TV I missed when the wife is using the TV and I don't want to lie in bed to watch TV.
Internet browsing
Remote desk toping for work
Listening to music when doing one of the above activities.

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
What's a lap-top?

Where I grew up the word laptop was used along with notebook, they are one and the same.

Definition of laptop (n)

Bing Dictionary
lap·top
[ láp tòp ]

1.small portable computer: a small portable personal computer, often battery operated, usually consisting of a case that opens to reveal a screen in the upper part and a keyboard in the lower part.

MacCruiskeen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
With the decline of PC/MAC desktops ....
My Mac is the base model and I don't forsee my needing any upgrades for another year or so, if ever ;) .

Yes, not only are users switching away from traditional desktops to more mobile devices, but today's desktops are not seriously constrained in terms of CPU power, memory, or storage, relative to most tasks. Corporate users who are driven by depreciation schedules and maintenance contracts will continue to turn over their systems every three years whether they need to or not, but many users are realizing that what they have is good enough and they don't need to change until the unit actually dies.

My 5-year-old iMac is still useful for Indesign and Photoshop, mainly because of the nice monitor, but I have been moving a lot of other tasks to my new laptop.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Mostly gaming and storage ... but it's more of a hobby that I've always built my own desktops. When this one dies, I'm not sure I'll still keep a desktop around.

koulmj

Suspended
Mar 18, 2013
I use mine for gaming and video editing, plus after buying a Bose 2.1 speaker set it has become my go to hi-fi.

Yeah, I built a simple desktop for video games. Laptop for everything else. I hate windiws and wish there was a Screenkess iMac or a super Mac mini with better video cards.

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
Yes... the GMA 950 that ships with the mini (first gen) is carp... it's a real let down and has somewhat dampened my mac experience. I tried GMA Booster.... turned out to be vapourware. Oh well.

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
I bought a PowerMac G5 for school, was having too many issues with the MacBook Pro. So I use that for school and every now and then MacRumors or Facebook

Zaap

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I use my desktop (Hackintosh) for my work, which is mainly editing/timing animated TV shows.

work01.jpg

I'll probably always have a desktop computer, but more and more I do love taking my work on the go with my rMBP.

knsw.jpg

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
My Mac Pro pretty much drives my life;

- Has every single file I own backed up (+1 for storage)
- Does all of my video editing (+1 for raw power)
- Does all of my photo-editing (+1 for MATTE Apple displays, absolute despise glossy displays)
- Plays every single game I own on Steam through Bootcamp (+1 for upgradable GPUs)
- Does all of my written/spreadsheet work (when I'm at home)
And the biggest thing to me, it can do all of the above AT THE SAME TIME. RAM is a biggie.

Now if I'm away from home my MacBook can do all of the above (minus games), only a lot slower, and a lot hotter than my Pro. I just love the ease of upgrading, scrap that, even just purely the possibility of upgrading components like the CPU, GPU etc. and at the same time have tb's upon tb's storage backed up across numerous drives.

So summed up - storage, power, graphics, upgradability and reliability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.