Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

$MacUser$

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2005
Los Angeles
Hey there,

Im relativly new to mac, having owned my first one for only about three months. I have to "draw" a diagram to illustrate an idea for a collegue of mine. Does mac have a "paint" type program that comes stock?

Thanks for your time.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
$MacUser$ said:
Hey there,

Im relativly new to mac, having owned my first one for only about three months. I have to "draw" a diagram to illustrate an idea for a collegue of mine. Does mac have a "paint" type program that comes stock?

Thanks for your time.

yep, but i'm not sure if it still ships with new macs. it's in the program "appleworks". well, ok, its not a specific program, but via appleworks you can open a microsoft paint-like document, and be able to do pretty much the same thing. if the new macs don't ship with it, you might be able to buy it, if not from apple, then from a place like comp usa.

EDIT http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...Bx3J7nWEoEWnpq94D/2.0.17.1.0.8.12.1.37.1.17.0

$MacUser$

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2005
Los Angeles
despite the fact that i really like this mac i find it a bit preturbing that it does not come with some of the basics...word processing, a paint program...i mean c'mon!

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Download "Seashore". It's like paint, only has the ability to do layers. Nothing matches mspaint though. I wish someone ported the exact mspaint to Mac, it's the only thing I miss.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
$MacUser$ said:
that program is rather counter intuitive...how do you simply draw squares and circles?

That's what I said! It's what everyone recommends as a paint alternative though. Yet, it doesn't do the simple things. I don't understand who makes a drawing program with layers that doesn't do squares? Doesn't make sense.

It's good for somethings though. Best program I could find as a mspaint alternative. :( If you find anything better let me know!

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
PowerBooks used to ship with OmniGraffle ... it's amazing for diagrams.

All Macs have TextEdit, and it's more advanced than Wordpad, in my experience.

Blurb

macrumors member
May 7, 2004
Appleworks does come as standard, pre-loaded sw on the "non-professional" lines of mac computers (ibook, imac, ?mac mini?), but obviously not on the pro line of powerbooks, such as you have. Apple has included Omnigraffle as pre-loaded sw on the powerbooks for a while, so check to see if you have that already.

Otherwise, search versiontracker.com or macupdate.com for a freeware program to suit your needs. Here's a link to a quick search I did on versiontracker: http://www.versiontracker.com/php/search.php?mode=basic&action=search&str=paint&plt[]=macosx&x=0&y=0
And here for a search of Apple's OS X sw downloads: http://searchcgi.apple.com/cgi-bin/sp/nph-searchpre11.pl

BTW, correct me if I'm wrong, but the original Macintosh (1984) had the first Paint sw program, which MS copied into their current mspaint, starting shortly after ms brought out their first windows-based sw version (MS Windows 95). Prior to that for MS, it was all about "C-prompts" usage in DOS! :cool:

PCheese

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2004
If you have a tablet, you can use a drawing notepad-type thing! ;)
One color (but variable intensity!) and only a pen tool.

On a serious note, TextEdit rocks. No paint program, but there is a word processor!

fayans

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
MacRumors: Forums
ITASOR said:
Download "Seashore". It's like paint, only has the ability to do layers. Nothing matches mspaint though. I wish someone ported the exact mspaint to Mac, it's the only thing I miss.
IMO I think Seashore is the closest alternative to MSPaint. Worth a try! ;)

carpe diem

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
Theres this one program i think Adobe does it or something similar it is called Photoshop, i can really recommend it.

fayans

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
MacRumors: Forums
carpe diem said:
Theres this one program i think Adobe does it or something similar it is called Photoshop, i can really recommend it.
Laser47 said:
ive encountered the same problem recently. I hate having to open photoshop to edit a simple picture.
Photoshop is too heavy for simple editting and it's RAM-intensive. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.