Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

2013_mac_pro-250x197.jpg
Deliveries of Apple's redesigned Mac Pro have begun in Europe, marking the first time in nearly a year that customers there have been able to obtain the company's professional workstation, notes MacGeneration [Google Translate] (via 9to5Mac).

Sales of the previous-generation Mac Pro in Europe were halted as of March 1, 2013 due to new regulatory requirements regarding I/O port power and fan guard placement. Rather than update the aging machine to comply with the new regulation, Apple elected to withdraw the Mac Pro from sale at that time.

Orders for the new Mac Pro began in mid-December, and while the first deliveries of stock models occurred in the United States in time for Christmas, it took several more weeks before deliveries began in Europe.

Currently, Apple's stores in Europe and elsewhere list a ship date of February for new orders of the computer.

Update: This article has been revised to clarify that the halt to Mac Pro sales in Europe was a decision by Apple not to update the previous Mac Pro to comply with the new regulatory requirements. It was also edited to emphasize that deliveries of the new Mac Pro are just now beginning in Europe. The machine has been available to order since mid-December when it went on sale worldwide, but short supplies have led to lengthy lead time on orders.

Article Link: Mac Pro Deliveries Begin in Europe for First Time in Nearly a Year

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Unacceptable they left the pro-market so long without the possibility of purchasing a mac pro.

Well they chose to leave given the ruling by the EU (which I agree was silly of them).

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
Pretty sure that the Mac Pro has been available for order from the UK online store from Thursday 19th December and in-store (in select stores) on demonstration from the 28th.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
It's not. This is a very odd macrumors article. Makes no sense. It went on sale before the USA technically because of the time difference.

Slow news day?

Yeah it's been available for a couple of weeks now in Europe. Engadget posted this today, so......go figure.

slow news day = copy other tech site even if it's old news.

NOTE TO MODERATOR: WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS ARTICLE? nMP HAS BEEN ON SALE FOR WEEKS THROUGHOUT EUROPE.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
"Mac Pro Sales Resume in Europe After Previous Ban"

WHY IS THIS A STORY TODAY??

THE nMP was released 3 WEEKS AGO(!) in Europe along with almost everywhere else in the developed world. Why point out the fact 3 WEEKS after the event?!?

It was the OLD machine that was proscribed due to not meeting modern standards, so why on earth would the new one be banned anyway?!

A COMPLETELY DORK ARTICLE!

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Yeah it's been available for a couple of weeks now in Europe. Engadget posted this today, so......go figure.

slow news day = copy other tech site even if it's old news.

NOTE TO MODERATOR: WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS ARTICLE? nMP HAS BEEN ON SALE FOR WEEKS THROUGHOUT EUROPE.

This is pointless media aggrigation at it's worst. The original 'article' has come from this guy...

http://en.gravatar.com/benjaminmayo

he's about 15.

praetorian909

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
That's just what I can name off the top of my head. I'm sure there have also been a number of convicted terrorists that we couldn't deport because of their human rights too, instead being looked after and put under armed guard at our (the taxpayers) expense.

I have to say, I am a bit peeved that my Mac mini auto-hibernates after 4 hours in standby after finding out it was because of European regulations. It's really slow to resume compared to waking, and so far I've not been able to disable it. (I briefly tried checking pmset but didn't find a way to prevent hibernation)

I'm definitely all in for saving energy, reducing carbon emissions, etc. But standby already uses very little power so forcing hibernate is a bit excessive in my mind (saving 0.93W). Meanwhile I've seen countless PCs in the workplace left on overnight (so say 5pm-8am next day) with the screen on and everything.

http://images.apple.com/environment/reports/docs/macmini_per_july2011.pdf

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
He writes for 9to5Mac, the site that put up poll asking people if they like changes in beta software. :rolleyes:

"Writes" is stretching it a bit far. Reposting.

And No I don't like Beta software changes. I hate all improvement.

9to5 appears to have a website value of about $500k.... but macrumors... ****! I am in the wrong game completely. A forum and some media aggregating... holy crap.

http://247wallst.com/media/2009/11/10/the-twenty-five-most-valuable-blogs-in-america/

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Of course there "out of stock" ... already. Everyone wants one. Price is no object when it comes to performance...

Just look at the car industry to see what i mean.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Unacceptable they left the pro-market so long without the possibility of purchasing a mac pro.

They ONLY left because the EU essentially banned the computer from sale. If you are so upset and feel the need to cast blame then send a nasty letter to the EU Parliment. But, I assume the enviro law which the old MP fell short is supported by most Europeans and thus ridding the EU countries of the MP was no oversight.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Of course there "out of stock" ... already. Everyone wants one. Price is no object when it comes to performance...

Just look at the car industry to see what i mean.

Price is no object when cash is no object. For consumers that IS often a barrier to entry unless you are of the Richard Branson class. (For example how many people buy a BMW 4 cyl vs a 6cyl model because the latter is a few thousand more).

Businesses are a little more flexible, but it's not price is no object. A sustainable business has to be able to justify expensive capital outlays. A MP, expensive as it is, has to earn its keep as it were.

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
They ONLY left because the EU essentially banned the computer from sale. If you are so upset and feel the need to cast blame then send a nasty letter to the EU Parliment. But, I assume the enviro law which the old MP fell short is supported by most Europeans and thus ridding the EU countries of the MP was no oversight.

They were "banned" for two reasons:

- the fan guards were deemed unsafe (apparently, small children could have gotten hurt)
- the heat-shielding around the electrical ports was deemed unsafe

While it was annoying that they had to stop selling the MP for such a long time, these are simple facts:

1. the EU had a reason to implement the new safety standards
2. Only minor adjustments were necessary to make the MP meet the standards again. Apple refused to make them.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
They were "banned" for two reasons:

- the fan guards were deemed unsafe (apparently, small children could have gotten hurt)
- the heat-shielding around the electrical ports was deemed unsafe

While it was annoying that they had to stop selling the MP for such a long time, these are simple facts:

1. the EU had a reason to implement the new safety standards
2. Only minor adjustments were necessary to make the MP meet the standards again. Apple refused to make them.

Did you not read what I wrote? I said EU banned them for a reason. As for Apple, it may have seemed like a "minor" adjustment but also, perhaps an expensive one. When a companies makes changes to a product it still has to go through extensive testing. That's $ Apple probably didn't think worth spending given the projected revenue from Euro sales going forward and the proximity of announcing a new MP. Simple cost/benefit. Apple doesn't exist for the convenience of its customers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.