Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Aaron Sorkin, screenwriter of the movie based on Walter Isaacson's Steve Jobs biography, has completed his screenplay and submitted it to Sony, according to Variety. Sorkin -- who is well known for his work on The West Wing and The Social Network, was tapped to write the script back in the spring of 2012.

NewImage21.png
Later that year, Sorkin revealed that he was planning to have the movie take place across three 30-minute scenes, with each scene taking place behind the scenes of a major product launch. He mentioned the launches of the original Mac, the NeXT cube, and the iPod, but it is not known if Sorkin has kept to that plan.

Sorkin has said that biographies have a natural "cradle-to-grave structure" that is very difficult to overcome, but that he was hoping to write something more unique with the Steve Jobs film. The Sorkin/Isaacson/Sony project is entirely separate from the Ashton Kutcher-led film that was released in 2013.

Article Link: Aaron Sorkin Completes Screenplay for Isaacson-Based Steve Jobs Biopic

ZacNicholson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Austin
He's been dead for awhile. I don't think these people are doing it to show the life of jobs. They are just doing it for the money.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
Sorkin's screenwriting for "The Social Network" was excellent. I think it would be nice that film's director, David Fincher, also directed this upcoming Isaacson-based Steve Jobs biopic.

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
He's been dead for awhile. I don't think these people are doing it to show the life of jobs. They are just doing it for the money.

What's the point of this statement?

Are there people that somehow thought movie companies were non-profits? I don't understand.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009

That's how I feel. It's all about the money. I won't see any of these movies despite being a longtime apple enthusiast. That being said, I hope the do a better job than the other movies which weren't all that accurate according to those in the know such as Woz...

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
From the details that leaked fairly recently around the original iPhone launch, I would think that would be a very good scene to use. That said, I don't recall I've ever seen or read anything about the NeXT Cube launch so that could be very cool to see.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Yeah, I mean, they just came out with that Abraham Lincoln movie and he's been dead for a long time.

Lincoln was a much more influential person to the history of our country than Jobs. But yeah, I guess I get your point.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque

I thought making such a film soon after Jobs' death was a tasteless money-grab, now it's disrespectful to wait a little while first? :confused:

ZackVLion

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2002
So at the very least another 12-18 mos before any possible movie will hit the theatres?

yep. maybe longer...They said sorkin submitted the script but who knows if the studio will be happy with it or possibly want rewrites (either by him or bringing in someone else to rewrite it). But yeah, at a minimum a year I would bet. Unless they already have director, actors, etc setup and were just waiting for the script, but i doubt that.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Movies are made to make money? Seriously? They aren't made for free to simply bring pure enjoyment to the public?

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Never saw the Kutcher movie (knew it would be rubbish).

This one I will see, though. Sounds as interesting as a trip to folklore.org (yep, you can thank me for eating the rest of your day!)

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
With Sorkin doing it can I expect a lot of walk and talk scenes as well as clipped dialogue ala Sports Night, Studio 60, and Social Network? The problem with his stuff is that a lot of his characters, real or fictional, are the same. I want to see a Steve Jobs biopic, not Sorkin's idea of how people are supposed to talk.

By the way, I loved Sports Night.

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
Sorkin's screenwriting for "The Social Network" was excellent. I think it would be nice that film's director, David Fincher, also directed this upcoming Isaacson-based Steve Jobs biopic.
If I am not mistaken he won an Academy Award for Best Screenplay for the Social Network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.