Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bt22

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Alabama
Mine are 2-4GB for DVD rips and 8-35GB for BR rips. I try and get the best quality I can and don't worry about space issues.

Otago Lad,
How do you get 8-35 GB for BR rips and still play thru Apple TV? I use Handbrake and typically get somewhere around 3-8 GB for BR rips. I want to keep a higher for less compression, but cannot figure out how.

Thanks,

Otago Lad

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
New Zealand
Otago Lad,
How do you get 8-35 GB for BR rips and still play thru Apple TV? I use Handbrake and typically get somewhere around 3-8 GB for BR rips. I want to keep a higher for less compression, but cannot figure out how.

Thanks,

I'm at work at the moment so can't check my settings, but I have set up a User Setting in HB called "Bluray RF 15" and another called "Bluray RF 20". The last one I did was the Hurt Locker and because of its graininess I chose the RF20 and it came out at approx. 22GB (at RF15 it came out at 45GB, which was ridiculous). Also, always remember to check the "Web Optimised" and "Large File Size" boxes - the Web Optimised setting allows shorter buffering (i.e. it doesn't need to buffer for as long before playing).

I'll try and remember to have a look at my settings and post them for you.

As regards playing through aTV3 you need to have a good network setup and in mine I use an ASUS RT-AC66U and connect the aTV 3 to it through its 5GHz wifi network - rock solid and has played anything I throw at it.

Otago Lad

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
New Zealand
My Apple TV 3 is wired thru a gigabit network even though the Apple TV3 is just 10/100. But I am wired...

So is your issue that:

1. you can't even create rips bigger than 8GB and you want to in order to maintain quality with less compression; or

2. you can create rips bigger than 8GB but then they won't play on your aTV 3?

If it is the second one then what happens? Do the files just sit there buffering and never start? In my experience this happens when the "Web Optimised" check box in HB isn't checked.

bt22

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Alabama
The first. I cannot create rips bigger than 8 GB and I want to so that I can maintain the quality as much as possible and reduce compression.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.