Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amundln

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2012
Right writer, right director. This is the Jobs movie I've been waiting for! Let's hope they do the casting right.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
He's been dead for awhile. I don't think these people are doing it to show the life of jobs. They are just doing it for the money.

So the movie would be better if it was scrambled together in a week, used unpaid college students for actors and was screened at some random indie film festival?

They announced it way back. My hope is that it's far more polished than the Kutcher version...

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Sorkin has said that biographies have a natural "cradle-to-grave structure" that is very difficult to overcome, but that he was hoping to write something more unique with the Steve Jobs film.

What does that mean?

Hollywood philosophy is often a cartoon of a misunderstanding. This is one case of such philosophy. A biography can center on a specific portion of a life, it can step forward and backward in time if needed, it can go beyond the grave to what the person caused to happen within the world and can start before the womb.

I wonder what will be more unique? Steve Jobs in Outer Space? How about an entertaining framing of events in a man's life which isn't turgid or wildly incorrect.

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
If it's not in proper narrative format I don't think I'll enjoy it. I hate it when filmmakers jump around chronologically.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
After reading through all the posts, we seem to have an argument around Lincoln's contribution vs SJ's, Kutcher's bad movie vs this movie, and a few random other comments including vampires.

Here is another random comments - I read the book and this movie will have to decide if it will focus on SJ and his work (amazing that it was) or SJ the not so nice human (the book did not portray a nice guy at all). I think it would be difficult to do both in a 90 minute movie and do justice to both points. The book was dense because the topics were complex. Based on the rumor, I suspect the focus will be the former.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
yep. maybe longer...They said sorkin submitted the script but who knows if the studio will be happy with it or possibly want rewrites (either by him or bringing in someone else to rewrite it). But yeah, at a minimum a year I would bet. Unless they already have director, actors, etc setup and were just waiting for the script, but i doubt that.

You don't bring in another writer to rewrite for Sorkin. He's pretty much a genius in his field.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Well it can't possibly be any worse than jOBS.

I'm in the the minority who thinks Kutcher was the best part of that film. The writing was bland, the story-telling was bland, and the film never really seemed to 'go' anywhere. Kutcher I think put in a solid, respectful & (dare I say it) accurate representation of Steve and if anyone has actually looked into Ashton as a person will know he a MASSIVE geek who trawled through hundreds of hours of footage in order to carry out the job as best as he could.

I think this Sorkin film will be less 'made for Hollywood' and will stick more to the facts & figures, and will come across as more of a dramatised documentary than a blockbuster movie (as a BIOPIC should be), but I'll be impressed if they manage to cast someone better than Kutcher for the main role.

I'm also very skeptical of the three 30 minute scenes idea - doesn't give much in the way of time-line & character growth. Seems like it could be incredibly 'rigid'.

Shizho

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2014
Sorkin's screenwriting for "The Social Network" was excellent. I think it would be nice that film's director, David Fincher, also directed this upcoming Isaacson-based Steve Jobs biopic.

Well... I suppose obviously, everybody has varied tastes in cinema. However I, for one, would NOT welcome the monotony of an incredibly similarly themed film (story of a tech icon) written and directed by the exact same team. Sounds horribly bland, boring, & derivative... imho.
Also, I adore Fincher... but, wasn't Social Network his 1st biopic; and certainly not remotely the genre he is known for? I don't understand how he became the be all, end all of biopic directors for you based on a single work... as I said though, to each their own.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
Well it can't possibly be any worse than jOBS.

I'm also very skeptical of the three 30 minute scenes idea - doesn't give much in the way of time-line & character growth. Seems like it could be incredibly 'rigid'.

"The Social Network" was set up like that and it worked just fine.

jdogg836

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Oklahoma
If he didn't kill all those vampires back then, we would have a lot more vampires to deal with today.

I'm glad someone else realizes this. I mean, it's very easy to lose sight of Lincoln's impact on the vampire population. We rarely even discuss Vampires these days, unless it's in a pop-culturesque manner. I'm going out on a limb right now and stating that Steve Jobs never even fought a vampire in his life, let alone defeated one.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
He's been dead for awhile. I don't think these people are doing it to show the life of jobs. They are just doing it for the money.

Hitler has been dead for a long time and they still make movies about him. The Ancient Romans were dead for thousands of years, but Gladiator was made.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Lincoln was a much more influential person to the history of our country than Jobs.

Agree. you'll never see Jobs head on a coin or currency note. For dead people, THAT is the barometer of importance (at least in the USA).

That being said, the fruits of Jobs vision/company are EVERYWHERE. Jobs put a dent in the universe, while Lincoln suffered a "dent" at the hands of John Wilkes Booth.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
What does that mean?

Hollywood philosophy is often a cartoon of a misunderstanding. This is one case of such philosophy. A biography can center on a specific portion of a life, it can step forward and backward in time if needed, it can go beyond the grave to what the person caused to happen within the world and can start before the womb.

I wonder what will be more unique? Steve Jobs in Outer Space? How about an entertaining framing of events in a man's life which isn't turgid or wildly incorrect.

If I remember right, he was saying that there were going to be like five scenes. Rather than being a narrative, there is going to be a scene about getting kicked out of Apple, a scene about developing NeXt, a scene about the release of the iPod, etc.

I was a little put off by how he described it. It was like he was going to focus on specific events and go into great detail rather than tell a story about the entirety of Steve's life. But, we will have to wait and see.

EDIT: Here is a story about how he said there were going to be three scenes. http://www.theguardian.com/film/2012/nov/16/aaron-sorkin-steve-jobs-biopic

Here's the jist "This entire movie is going to be three scenes and three scenes only. That all take place in real time," Sorkin said. "There will be no time cuts and each will take place before a product launch. Backstage before a product launch. The first one being the Mac, the second one being NeXT, after he had left Apple. And the third one being the iPod."

Last edited:

phobos

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
Even though I'm sure it'll be better than the Ashton kutcher film I'm not getting my hopes up. Aaron Sorkin has one script that he basically repeats in all his work. He just makes adjustments to fit the specific situation.
Even in different movies with different plots he manages to cram in the same themes and even dialogs. Rinse and repeat.

The newsroom was like watching studio 60 which was like watching westwing. Just on a different setting. Same themes, same characters, same highly produced dialogs. One great example is the first episode of studio 60 and first episode of the newsroom. The story arc is exactly the same! Among other things!

And of course lets not forget those powerful (to sorkin's mind) moments where the character realises something important for the plot with appropriate music and over the top acting and you're good to go.

Here's a small example that shows part of the problem
http://youtu.be/S78RzZr3IwI
http://youtu.be/7jeuV3xXxUc
We've all probably watched the movie! We just don't know it yet!

Sorry for the negativity. I guess I woke up from the wrong side of the bed!
But it's true. Aaron Sorkin at least to my mind is a one trick pony.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Even though I'm sure it'll be better than the Ashton kutcher film I'm not getting my hopes up. Aaron Sorkin has one script that he basically repeats in all his work. He just makes adjustments to fit the specific situation.
Even in different movies with different plots he manages to cram in the same themes and even dialogs. Rinse and repeat.
The newsroom was like watching studio 60 which was like watching westwing. Just on a different setting. Same themes, same characters, same highly produced dialogs.
Just add on top of that those powerful (to sorkin's) mind moments where the character realises something important for the plot with appropriate music and over the top acting and you're good to go.
Here's a small example that shows part of the problem
http://youtu.be/S78RzZr3IwI
http://youtu.be/7jeuV3xXxUc
We've all probably watched the movie! We just don't know it yet!
Sorry for the negativity. I guess I woke up from the wrong side of the bed!
But it's true. Aaron Sorkin at least to my mind is a one trick pony.
So common phrases are actually common? Who would have known.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.