Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has launched its annual back to school promotion in Australia and New Zealand, offering education customers free gift cards for the company's digital content stores with the purchase of a new Mac, iPad, or iPhone. Gift cards can be used in the App Store, Mac App Store, iTunes Store and iBookstore, and are available in the following amounts:

- Purchase a new Mac except Mac mini or Mac Pro: AU$ 100 or NZ$ 125 gift card
- Purchase a new iPad or iPhone: AU$ 50 or NZ$ 65 gift card

back_to_school_au_2014.jpg
The gift card offer comes on top of Apple's education pricing, which discounts Macs by up to several hundred dollars. Eligible customers include faculty and staff of K-12 and higher education students, as well as students and parents of students at higher education institutions. The program runs through March 20, and all purchases must be made direct from Apple through the company's online store for education or by phone. Australian customers may also make their purchases at Apple retail stores in the country.

Apple offers its Back to School promotion offerings in a number of countries around the world, staggering their timing to match the respective school calendars. The largest version of the program is typically offered in the July-September timeframe for North America and Europe.

Article Link: Apple's Back to School Promo Kicks Off in Australia and New Zealand

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Weird - I never realized Australia chose to have their school calendar run opposite that of NA/EU. Seems like it would make it difficult to coordinate foreign exchange students.

tomhumphrey

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2010
Weird - I never realized Australia chose to have their school calendar run opposite that of NA/EU. Seems like it would make it difficult to coordinate foreign exchange students.

It is you guys who have it opposite.
Is much more logical to start a new school year with the calendar new year.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011

It's summer there right now so it does make sense. But they are definitely different than the rest of the modern world.

tarkeybear

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2006
Claremont CA
So are hemispheric school schedules based on harvest dates?

I was surprised as well, but it makes sense that independent cultures would coordinate their school schedules around harvest seasons. Peak sun "summer" = greatest demand for labor in agrarian societies.
Just speculating here, not an expert on Academic timing...

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011

Well it's obvious. Every country has their main holidays / new school year start at the end of their respective summers. And it is summer here in Australia now.

And for tertiary students it's easy as everything runs in semester length subjects.

----------

It's summer there right now so it does make sense. But they are definitely different than the rest of the modern world.
You've never been to Australia. We are just the same as the rest of the modern world. We have all the facilities, use the SI system, use a decimal currency, have a high percentage of Apple product usage etc etc.

The only real point here is different hemispheres of the world have opposite seasons, that's all.

fermat-au

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2009
Australia
You've never been to Australia. We are just the same as the rest of the modern world. We have all the facilities, use the SI system, use a decimal currency, have a high percentage of Apple product usage etc etc.
The US don't use the SI system, so is the US part of the rest of the modern world? :D

-Sent from the Australia

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand

Your Internet sucks though ;)

The US don't use the SI system, so is the US part of the rest of the modern world? :D

What a silly question! :D

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
I always thought (both as a student and now as a teacher) how weird it was not to base everything from the start of the year and finish at the end. You Non-Australians have got what we have summer-holidays, but your yearly calendar doesn't fit the actual calendar. When the end of the year comes we have decent time off. Works well. Only thing in line with everyone else is financial year. Starts July 1st.

If be hard pressed to seem any people with money this time of year buying a Mac so soon after Christmas holidays. I don't remember this last year when I got my iMac...

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
I always thought (both as a student and now as a teacher) how weird it was not to base everything from the start of the year and finish at the end. You Non-Australians have got what we have summer-holidays, but your yearly calendar doesn't fit the actual calendar. When the end of the year comes we have decent time off. Works well. Only thing in line with everyone else is financial year. Starts July 1st.

If be hard pressed to seem any people with money this time of year buying a Mac so soon after Christmas holidays. I don't remember this last year when I got my iMac...

Indeed, I have always found it totally bizarre that many people start the year around August. Everything lining up with the calendar is a pretty obvious way to do it :). The university year starts with summer school in January-February, it would be too weird if that were July-August.

As for the deals, I haven't seen anything that decent offered around here before - we don't even really have an Apple presence in NZ, but the online store deals with app store gift card ... hmmm, I wish I could justify a 13" rMBP, but I no longer use any Apple hardware, and that would seem a bit superfluous.

----------

And NZ internet is any better? I think not.

It was, but from what I hear the crazy low data caps you lot used to experience have been going away the last few years.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Hmm, in that case I have no idea why you guys are busy building an FTTN network so that by 2017 you'll have caught up to where we were in 2011...

But don't take me *too* seriously!

Haha well said. Well you know every country is bad at something and for Australia it's internet.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012

Lots of countries have non-September school year beginnings -- here in Japan the school year starts in April, with spring.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia

It's done for the same reason the US and other countries in the northern hemisphere have their main school break over summer.

Internet - our 3G system is faster than the US 4G, this was tested when Apple release it's first 4G products that at the time only worked in the US. We also have 4G which must be faster than 5G :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.