Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Yep, GG is stronger but Sapphire is still much more scratch resistant. At some things (like where Apple uses it for the camera lens and the finger print) that really is more important.

I agree. I think that for now we are looking at co-existance with both GG and saphire living in the same device. for the iWatch I can see it going exclusively saphire - since its strapped to the wrist I think the scratch resistance becomes more important (which is why most high end watches go this route). On the phone where drops still cause screen breaks, I think the new GG is the way to go.

pinchez

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2006
Got excited when I saw the photo, thought Walt had started cooking again........ B*tch!

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Wild guess:

Ive -> Tim: If we laminate sapphire onto gorilla glass, the iphone would be super scratch resistant and feel great. Also, we might need it for the iWatch.
Tim: Great, I'll see what i can do
Tim -> Sapphire company: We want a lot of sapphire.
Sapphire co. -> Tim: We don't have a big enough facility, sorry.
Tim: We'll buy you a facility, but we want exclusivity.
Sapphire co. -> Deal!

thebeans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2009
Yea, but

Stronger in what way? Is it denser than sapphire? If not then sapphire is still more scratch proof along with better material for finger print scanners and cameras. Also at what point does "stronger" matter any more? It can already take like 150 pounds in a direct area.

Yea Gorilla glass is strong but bottom line is that if you drop your phone on the glass face down or even on the edge, it is still very likely to break. This is not an iPhone thing, it is a phone thing. My organization just got new phones a few weeks back (we get new ones every fall) and within a week, two had been broken. One of them was on the knee of someone kneeling down and it fell less than 2 feet to the ground. My point is, phone glass is still a major weak point and any improvements are needed and appreciated. Numbers like you stated in your post of 150 pounds and marketing spin do not change the fact that phone glass still breaks easily when the phone is dropped.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Yea Gorilla glass is strong but bottom line is that if you drop your phone on the glass face down or even on the edge, it is still very likely to break. This is not an iPhone thing, it is a phone thing. My organization just got new phones a few weeks back (we get new ones every fall) and within a week, two had been broken. One of them was on the knee of someone kneeling down and it fell less than 2 feet to the ground. My point is, phone glass is still a major weak point and any improvements are needed and appreciated. Numbers like you stated in your post of 150 pounds and marketing spin do not change the fact that phone glass still breaks easily when the phone is dropped.

Im pretty sure that is a weakness in glass and not Sapphire actually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.