Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Thats actually smart..I drop my phone so many times that i really wished the iphone had the ability to turn off the screen..Its specially helpful when your 5 year old tosses the phone to the other side of the room !

Not good for the phone, but your little one has a great arm!:D

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
I thought this was pretty cool.

I've requested a copy of the SDK. Might take it and turn it into something a bit more fun or interesting.

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
there's no eye tracking

this only shows head tracking this is nothing like eye tracking at all. eye tracking requires inferred cameras and at least two of them or more. call it what it is Head Tracking

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Hey, it's kinda neat. Another case of new tech garnering snide comments until someone finds a killer app for it.

Thepoobear

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
14/14 on my second try! I'm awesome, huh?

Great concept, I'm sure they'll improve it and make it very Apple.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
ow you can miss vital
nformation when you
on't see the part of the
creen you should be
ooking at, when you
hould be looking over
n the other side of the
creen.

ol!

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Maybe it's just my personal perception but I find it kind of funny to always see the same people jumping right onto the "slightly" irrational google critics like in the recently closed Nest thread, but pretty "simple" posts like these don't seem to bother them at all. :D

You're cool. Irrational?

Honestly it does go all ways, just what corporations do.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Makes sense.

I play a lot of simulation games whether it be flying or driving, I tend to move my head. This would be perfect!

JoeBobBriggs

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2008
This could be really awesome for people with limited use of their hands like quadropelegics or people with cerebral palsy.

dnedved

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2006
Amsterdam, NL
No LED to show camera is operational

The app was a fantastic demo of the technology which worked flawlessly for me. The only disconcerting thing I found was that this was the first app I’ve used which turns on the front camera without really reminding me that I’m “on camera”, unlike a video chat for example. I guess I had my iPhone confused with my MBA in that I expected there to be a little green LED to warn / remind me that some software was looking at me. Now I realize that all along my phone could be watching me and I wouldn’t even know it. Not the app’s fault, and not really a problem just a new realization from my point of view that I’m not sure I like.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
The app was a fantastic demo of the technology which worked flawlessly for me. The only disconcerting thing I found was that this was the first app I’ve used which turns on the front camera without really reminding me that I’m “on camera”, unlike a video chat for example. I guess I had my iPhone confused with my MBA in that I expected there to be a little green LED to warn / remind me that some software was looking at me. Now I realize that all along my phone could be watching me and I wouldn’t even know it. Not the app’s fault, and not really a problem just a new realization from my point of view that I’m not sure I like.

I think that it really is a problem. There was a story a little while back about hackers being able to spy on Mac owners without activating that green light. This app was only supposed to be a motion-tracking demo, but it might open up a whole new discussion on privacy, and I hope it does.

I don't know what the "camera is on" notification needs to be, but now I think there needs to be one.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
this technology is suited for game consoles like Xbox One, PS4 and Kinect

on a iOS, or desktop ? No way.

You look goofy on Android doing this, how much more ridiculous would this relate to iPhone users on such a popular device ?

God technology, but not for portables.

sigma8

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2005
Just tried it. It's a bad demo. It makes me think "oh man, this tech sucks". The main thing I don't like about it, is that you have to make a ton of micro movements with your neck the whole time. That's uncomfortable. I think anything that can use this head tracking in such a way that:
- requires infrequent head adjustments
- does not require calibration
- provides an extra efficiency boost over just using a touch control

...would be a win for this type of control. Honestly, I can't think of many applications for that. "Nod to confirm"? ...except that's likely less easy than tapping.

Honestly, if someone wants to do "tracking", I'd suggest body tracking instead:
1. stick the iPhone by the TV, camera visible and pointing at you
2. have it connect via HDMI or AppleTV
3. use it Kinect style, full body

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.