Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just a couple of days before the iPhone launches on China Mobile, the world's largest carrier, Apple CEO Tim Cook participated in a media event with China Mobile Chairman Xi Guohua in Beijing, where The Wall Street Journal reports that Cook discussed how "incredibly optimistic" he is about Apple's new cooperation with the carrier.
"We've gotten to know each other....today is a beginning, and I think there are lots more things our companies can do together in the future," Mr. Cook said.
The immediate future, according to China Mobile Chairman Xi Guohua, includes "multi-millions" of iPhones already ordered by the carrier's customers. Earlier today, it was reported that Apple's iPhone 5s supplier Foxconn had shipped roughly 1.4 million iPhone 5s units in advance of the phones' launch in China on January 17.

iphone_5s_china_mobile1.jpg
As Cook tells the WSJ, Apple will now be able to sell iPhones in 3,000 more locations, with China Mobile extending Apple's reach to many cities Apple currently doesn't have a presence in. Cook reinforces Apple wants to make the "best products", which means it's unlikely Apple alters its product strategy to make products at lower prices than it currently does.

In the interview, Cook also alluded to future iPhone models and cellular iPads making their way onto China Mobile's network, similar to other carriers around the world.

China Mobile has over 760 million subscribers and is expected to bring many new customers to Apple, significantly increasing the company's presence in China.

Update: The Wall Street Journal has now posted a more complete version of Cook's comments from the Q&A portion of the media briefing.

Update 2: CNBC has video of an interview with Cook and Xi.

Article Link: Tim Cook 'Incredibly Optimistic' About New Partnership with China Mobile

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
Really? Incredibly optimistic about scoring a deal with a partner that carries almost 1 billion potential customers?

Colour me shocked.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Apple will plateau soon. There is not that many more major markets Apple is not already in, to enter.

martial900

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
Grrreat!!!

With Apple growing in China. It goes to show how grateful they are to the muscle of Apple. Why make products where the Chinese cannot partake. I am glad that anybody can enjoy technological greatness.

Man I really wonder where Apple will go. I know their Spaceship Apple Campus 2 will nicely be funded. For this architectural marvel to come will surely pave the way for structural engineering.

Talk about putting a dent on postmodernism in our time.

Amazing!!!

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
I don't know. Seems like Apple is a very expensive player in a market that does not have lots of money.

Ask again in a month and we will know more.

Pyrrhic Victory

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2012
Tim Cook the beancounter is always "incredibly optimistic" or "extremelly proud" about everything. Does he really think people are so naive as to not see his melodramatic commentary for the corporate-speak marketing BS that it is?

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I don't know. Seems like Apple is a very expensive player in a market that does not have lots of money.

The top 1% of China is very rich.China is sometimes estimated at 1.6 billion people. Consider that that top 1% has children, parents, spouses, and others that are close to them and the major earners of China and their close affiliates is a huge number of people.

The phones will sell and they will sell nicely.

hello12

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
Tim Cook the beancounter is always "incredibly optimistic" or "extremelly proud" about everything. Does he really think people are so naive as to not see his melodramatic commentary for the corporate-speak marketing BS that it is?

What is he supposed to say?

iCore24

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan
Really? Incredibly optimistic about scoring a deal with a partner that carries almost 1 billion potential customers?

Colour me shocked.

There are some downsides.
Have to count all that money, trying not to laugh when speaking with Chinese men with a horrible accent,

Pro:
They have increased there market by 300% compared to just USA!!!!!!!!!

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
This is a Win -Win for almost everyone. T mobile Apple, the customer, the stock holders and even the Chinese and American Goverments. The timing looks right the excitement is there. Enough said

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
Like I have been saying in other threads, this deal will begin to bear fruits in the future when apple launches new product categories and diversifies its mobile phone portfolio..The sheer increase in market size for apple with the china mobile deal would allow apple to design products around it and would make it immensily profitable for both apple and its supplier base. Those folks in china that wanted iphones and could afford them bought them for cash..This deal would open up newer customers who could not afford to pay huge upfront costs for the device (s) and that in itself would be big once apple looks to diversify into different markets in moblie phones which in my opinion they should. The market is the right size for apple to have a dedicated flagship phablet and a dedicated flagship phone. I'm not overly concerned about market share because that has really never been apple's driving force..Its churning out great products and selling them in huge numbers that apple does WELL and as long as the sales are growing i couldnt care less who has the no 1 spot in china..I'd be worried if apple competed in all price points and categories which they dont..

Apple will plateau soon. There is not that many more major markets Apple is not already in, to enter.

Thats assuming they stagnate and do not innovate or look to diversify..That is totally uncharecteristic..Right now they essentially have 1 phone (new) per year for the market to absorb..What if they had 2 or 3 that catered to a different user base? That automatically increases the potential customer base..At the moment no person looking for a large screen size or a Phablet will consider buying an iphone..So thats one category that can increase sales right there..

Ipod sales have pretty much plateud yet apple is doing rather well..because post the ipod they entered into mobile phones and then tablets..Both those categories are continuing to grow and new categories are ripe for exploration as Tim Cook eluded to last year.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Make new product categories like they have been for years.
Well Apple have re-invented product categories, not created them from scratch. But same end result. Apple's take on the product categories is unique and very good.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
Well Apple have re-invented product categories, not created them from scratch. But same end result. Apple's take on the product categories is unique and very good.

Its still creating a new category for themselves and their divisions..I think that is what the comment meant..Apple is seldom first to market in most of its categories..But they are often the market makers that really shape the size and scope of the market..Whether that is in portable music players, phones or tablets...The entire force seems to be focused on taking technology and making it mainstream and appealing to a remarkable customer base..Because of this their products are usually the defining force in their categories and often benchmarks against which other hadware is compared..

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
760 million subscriber, if they target only 10% would mean 76 million iPhones,
not a bad business, I too would be optimistic about it :cool:

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
I also think that Apple will plateau soon. They have done enough I think.

Well there is also Amazon, Google, Samsung, etc ... they are all big companies with a big global presence, one of them has to peak eventually, right? There is no point to think Apple would plateau before the rest.

Actually for roughly 3 or 4 quarters straight the growth of Apple was not accelerating it was only growing at the same rate (around the time the stock price fell), then it started accelerating again. So Apple already hit a plateau last year, I think you missed that. Apple coming out of that plateau is thanks to a greater global presence, a more diverse product portfolio (two new iPad and two new iPhone models, all at the same time), and surprisingly a solid increase in CMMI level from 3 to 4. I would wager at least 8 straight quarters before they reach the next plateau, and they may still come out of the next plateau going up just like before.

toshibauser

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
New York
China is a very competitive market, and Samsung is doing great there. I don't think Apple has a chance to expand in China with current products. Apple could be successful there if they produce iPhone with larger screen and lower the price.

JamonBull

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Australia
Excellent news for Apple enthusiasts and Chinese consumers! This deal has come in time for Apple's predicted 2014 launch of the rumoured larger screen iPhone 6. Being someone who spends a great portion of my time in China, it's clear that it's large screen phones that the Chinese public want. The iPhone 6 launch is now going to be even more out of this world!

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC

The iPhone is already available on two major carriers in China.

So that kinda disproves your "the iPhone is too expensive for China" theory :)

Better yet... see how many iPhones Apple has sold on China Unicom and China Telecom over the last few years.

It was obviously advantageous for the iPhone to be on those carriers... so I suspect it will be the same on China Mobile too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.