Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A number of Black Sabbath's 1970s albums, including Paranoid and Masters of Reality have finally made their way to iTunes with limited exclusivity, according to The New York Times. Previously, only the band's later material was available on iTunes.
On Tuesday the band and its label, Warner Brothers, announced that iTunes had started selling its first eight studio albums, along with three compilations. But iTunes' window of exclusivity is expected to be short. According to people briefed on the deal who were not authorized to speak about it, Black Sabbath's music should come to streaming services in about a week.
blacksabbath.png
Tony Iommi, the band's lead guitarist, said that it had "been a long time trying to explain to fans why the music wasn't available." While there is no official explanation for the delay, it's widely believed a dispute between the band and Warner Music was the cause.

The eight studio albums are available on iTunes for $9.99 apiece, while the three compilations range from $9.99 to $59.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Black Sabbath's 1970s Albums Come to iTunes With Limited Exclusivity

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
It's nice that Apple acknowledges that there is a genre called "Metal", but Black Sabbath is certainly not in it. They're Rock, maybe Hard Rock, but not Metal.

MetalMoon

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2010
San Jose
It's nice that Apple acknowledges that there is a genre called "Metal", but Black Sabbath is certainly not in it. They're Rock, maybe Hard Rock, but not Metal.

Yes they are considered metal, they started the genre. Sure they aren't as heavy as metal is consider today, but the genre had to start somewhere and it started with Black Sabbath.

bluesky681

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010

And why the hell hasn't Apple added Indie to the genre list?? It's by far the most popular among older teens!

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I'll bet the reason for the long delay in getting these albums to iTunes can be boiled down to two words:

Sharon Osbourne.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

Unless I'm mistaken, didn't Sabbath have something to do with starting the genre? Or at least I thought anyway.

Anyway, still Sabbath rule. I found their newest album surprisingly awesome.

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Is this a US specific thing?

Black Sabbath have had their Ozzy era albums on iTunes here in the UK for quite a while now, both in their single 'disc' and double 'disc' Deluxe configurations. Likewise both configurations of the Ozzy era have been on Spotify in the UK for the same period.

If the Mastered for iTunes files represent an audible improvement then I might well buy them again. However the sound on the recent (2009?) 2 'disc' Deluxe reissues was pretty damned good - doubly so for the 2 early 80s Dio fronted albums.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Is this a US specific thing?

Black Sabbath have had their Ozzy era albums on iTunes here in the UK for quite a while now, both in their single 'disc' and double 'disc' Deluxe configurations. Likewise both configurations of the Ozzy era have been on Spotify in the UK for the same period.

It could be. Some of the BEST U2 albums are still not available in the US iTunes Store, but apparently have been on the UK Store for years. :(

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
I’ve got everything from the Ozzy era on CD and didn’t even realise that they weren't available on iTunes. Good to see that they’ve been added.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Yes they are considered metal, they started the genre. Sure they aren't as heavy as metal is consider today, but the genre had to start somewhere and it started with Black Sabbath.

Ha - no. It didn't start until nearly a decade later, with Metallica (I think. I'm not sure when exactly other early metal bands formed... Some were right about the same time as Metallica.)

syndalis

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
Ha - no. It didn't start until nearly a decade later, with Metallica (I think. I'm not sure when exactly other early metal bands formed... Some were right about the same time as Metallica.)

You are out of your element, Donnie.

Sabbath, Deep Purple and Led Zepplin are considered the founders of metal. Judas Priest refined it, and THEN you started getting the thrash stuff you consider "metal".

keith590

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2007
You are out of your element, Donnie.

Sabbath, Deep Purple and Led Zepplin are considered the founders of metal. Judas Priest refined it, and THEN you started getting the thrash stuff you consider "metal".

Led Zepplin metal? You surly are mad.

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I still find it odd that I can buy the 256 kbit AAC of the "Paranoid" album for $10 on iTunes ($14 in Aust!), but I can buy the 1,411 kbit CD on Amazon for $5 and then rip it for digital storage at whatever rate I wish. Plus I can go back to the CD at anytime if I want to go lossless in the future.

http://www.amazon.com/Paranoid-Blac...783325&sr=8-1&keywords=black+sabbath+paranoid

1. You're comparing uncompressed and compressed bit rates.
2. Mastered for iTunes tracks are created from 24 bit masters. Audio CDs are only 16 bit.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
I still find it odd that I can buy the 256 kbit AAC of the "Paranoid" album for $10 on iTunes ($14 in Aust!), but I can buy the 1,411 kbit CD on Amazon for $5 and then rip it for digital storage at whatever rate I wish. Plus I can go back to the CD at anytime if I want to go lossless in the future.

http://www.amazon.com/Paranoid-Blac...783325&sr=8-1&keywords=black+sabbath+paranoid

It seems a little odd. Indeed. But what we are paying for is the convenience. The convenience of not having to order a CD. The convenience of not having to rip a CD. The convenience of not having to manage files on our computers. The convenience of not having to store a CD in our homes. 1-click. Buy. Listen.

It seems a little odd — but there is a high price and a big demand for convenience these days (even at the loss of quality). Understandibly so.

Still, you are right, it seems a little odd.

On a different note: For many, streaming is probably an even cheaper option. And some streaming services are even serving files in lossless quality now.

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
It seems a little odd. Indeed. But what we are paying for is the convenience. The convenience of not having to order a CD. The convenience of not having to rip a CD. The convenience of not having to manage files on our computers. The convenience of not having to store a CD in our homes. 1-click. Buy. Listen.

It seems a little odd — but there is a high price and a big demand for convenience these days (even at the loss of quality). Understandibly so.

Still, you are right, it seems a little odd.

—

On a different note: For many, streaming is probably an even cheaper option. And some streaming services are even serving files in lossless quality now.

Those things are inconvenient? Wow, I'm getting old.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.