Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Research firm DisplaySearch has once again tapped its sources in the display supply chain to assess what panel sizes and resolutions are currently under development, using that information to speculate on the display technology that may land in Apple's iPhone 6, new iPad and rumored iWatch. According to the firm's latest report, the iPhone 6 and iPad may receive size and resolution boosts in line with circulating rumors, while the iWatch could sport a flexible AMOLED display.

displaysearch-jan2014.png
On the high end of the spectrum, DisplaySearch analyst David Hsieh predicts the iPhone 6 could ship with a 5.5-inch display that has a 1920 x 1080 resolution, yielding a density of 401 pixels per inch (ppi). The display would be a LTPS (low-temperature polysilicon) TFT LCD, which is the same technology used in a number of previous iPhone models. Another possibility is a smaller 4.7-inch LTPS screen with 1600 x 900 resolution and 386 ppi. Either configuration would bump the iPhone 6 up from the 4-inch, 1136 x 640 display found in the iPhone 5s, and a previous report has suggested that Apple could release both sizes.

On the iPad side of the equation, Apple may increase the size of the tablet and introduce a 12.0-inch "iPad Pro" model. This echoes several previous reports in recent months claiming that an oversized iPad with a 12.9-inch Retina display is entering production and may launch as soon as early 2014. There have, however, been no part leaks supporting the existence of such a device so far.

According to DisplaySearch, the 12.9-inch "iPad Pro" model could include a display with a resolution of 2732 x 2048 and 265 ppi, edging out the 12.2-inch panel Samsung introduced in its new Galaxy Tab Pro and Note Pro tablets. The Samsung models ship with a 12.2-inch display that has a 2560 x 1600 resolution and 247 ppi.

DisplaySearch also reiterates an earlier claim that the iWatch may ship in two different sizes. The firm's forecast predicts the Cupertino company may adopt a 1.3-inch display for women and a larger 1.6-inch display for men. Both sizes would sport a 320 x 320 resolution and would use flexible AMOLED technology. Rumors suggest Apple may debut its iWatch product sometime in 2014.

Article Link: Larger iPhone 6, 'iPad Pro' and iWatch Could Tap New Display Sizes in Development

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm eagerly waiting for the iPhone 6. I almost got a Note III this year so a larger iPhone will definitely fit the bill :)

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
Hmmm, I guess I am only one of the few who prefer a smaller device.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
"The firm's forecast predicts the Cupertino company may adopt a 1.3-inch display for women and a larger 1.6-inch display for men"

I know this has been done to death, but having two sizes would be welcome!

Creep89

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Why 1600x900 and 1920x1080? This doesn't make sense since there are already 4,7" big screens with 1920x1080.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK

Me too, one of the biggest reasons I jumped from Android to iOS 18 months ago, I didn't like where the size was heading in the higher end Samsung, etc phones..

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Meh, what's with all these predictions that upcoming iDevices will use resolutions that will further fragment the iOS ecosystem? It's fine as is, there's only a handful of different resolutions to design for... but let's not add any more.

wiz329

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
I am also one of those preferring a smaller screen size. I don't care if Apple introduces a larger one -- most people prefer a larger screen size -- but I sure hope they leave the smaller one as an option!

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas

I don't know how few we truly are.

These rumors make me sad. I'm all for Apple releasing a giant screen iPhone to compete in the market that wants that, but I value portability and pocketability in my phone. These rumors keep hinting at two sizes, but even the smaller is still a size bump. Why? If you're going to make a big one to satisfy those guys, why can't you leave the small alone? I don't want a size bump; it was already difficult to stomach the transition to 4".

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Meh, what's with all these predictions that upcoming iDevices will use resolutions that will further fragment the iOS ecosystem? It's fine as is, there's only a handful of different resolutions to design for... but let's not add any more.

of course they will have to get more pixels in if they make the screen bigger. Who will buy a "premium" phone with low ppi?

samwise

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2005
North Salt Lake, Utah
"The firm's forecast predicts the Cupertino company may adopt a 1.3-inch display for women and a larger 1.6-inch display for men"

I know this has been done to death, but having two sizes would be welcome!

Although they shouldn't be marketed as "small=female, large=male" -not everyone wants a huge-ass piece of bling on their wrist....

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Apple took too long, I've now finally switched to Android (as have lots of people I know).

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
The 12.9 "iPad Pro" is going to turn out to be a Macbook.

(Feel free to quote this if/when I'm wrong)

perealb

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2009
I think there are enough people like you for them to continue producing the current size. I bet Apple will get rid of the iPhone 5C category and offer two iPhone sizes; the current 4" and a bigger one.

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Wait....MR wants us to believe that the iPhone will go from 4" to 5.5"? All based on some supply chain check? Because analysts have been so accurate with their supply chain checks in the past?

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

When you buy $700+ phone that cannot play 720P (the resolution of iPhone is lower than 720P natively, then yes, they need bump the resolution... And for god's sake, increase screen size is must...

I would never buy an other iPhone (currently have iPhone 4S, passed to my father, enjoying Nexus 5 big screen) if Apple does not offer larger iPhone.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
Are most iOS apps now resolution independent such that Apple can now think of introducing 3 different resolutions and 3 different pixel densities between the predicted new iPhones and iPads without existing apps being too small with large black borders or stretched and looking ugly?

henrypham120190

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2013
I'd love to have a larger device to read scientific paper without having to zoom in every time. Anyway, I guess I have to wait for another year for a higher resolution ipad pro model :p

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Wait....MR wants us to believe that the iPhone will go from 4" to 5.5"? All based on some supply chain check? Because analysts have been so accurate with their supply chain checks in the past?

Regardless, I feel Apple would offer larger iPhone. People never believed smaller iPad mini, but Apple offered it anyway.

The only question is how big... Anything less than 5 inch equals no buy for me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.