Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As Apple rolls out its iBeacon technology across its Retail Stores and investigates using it to enable mobile payments, a number of large retailers are testing the technology in their establishments.

Today, Shopkick announced it would be starting an iBeacon trial at 100 American Eagle stores in the U.S. This follows announcement earlier this month that InMarket would introduce iBeacons to more than 200 Safeway and Giant Eagle grocery stores in a number of markets across the country.

macysibeacon.png
As shoppers enter an American Eagle Outfitters store, shopBeacon will welcome and show them location-specific rewards, deals, discounts and product recommendations - without them even having to remember to open the app. It can also tie at-home browsing behavior to in-store benefits; if the customer "likes" a specific product online, if they so choose, shopBeacon can remind them where in the American Eagle Outfitters store that product is sold. Even better, in the future, it can also deliver department-specific offers throughout the store - so must-have skinnies show up at the most useful time: in the jeans department.
Companies introducing iBeacons seem to understand the appeal of the devices, but it remains to be seen how consumers will respond and if they will download apps for individual stores -- a necessity for the iBeacons to have any effect. Shopkick previously performed a retail trial of iBeacons in two Macy's locations.

If the larger American Eagle trial is successful, Shopkick could introduce the technology to its other retail partners including Best Buy, Crate & Barrel, JCPenney, Old Navy, Sports Authority, Target and more.

Article Link: Big Retailers Begin Rolling Out iBeacon Trials

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
Unless one app for every store comes along, I hardly think this will catch on. Better yet, make it an OS level feature you can turn on or off.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
I think iBeacons have a future in navigation maybe more than retail only. Im sure well be seeing iBeacons coming up at places such as airports, helping guide users to to their gates. I think too much emphasis is being places on retail, well be seeing this technology come up in many creative ways.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Unless one app for every store comes along, I hardly think this will catch on. Better yet, make it an OS level feature you can turn on or off.

You would have to download an app for every store. With the 16GB on space on an iPhone, that will take up too much room and people will just delete the apps.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
One-app-per-store is silly. Apple will need a single, centralized app where stores can create their own customized view when the customer enters the store. Otherwise this will probably flop.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
You would have to download an app for every store. With the 16GB on space on an iPhone, that will take up too much room and people will just delete the apps.

Implying these apps cant be a few mb each.

Implying you cant make a folder and throw them all in.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
One-app-per-store is silly. Apple will need a single, centralized app where stores can create their own customized view when the customer enters the store. Otherwise this will probably flop.

Apple could do something like they do with Passbook, add iBeacon cards for the retailers you care about.

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
One trouble with Apple's iBeacon technology is that it currently takes up to four minutes to find a beacon that you're next to. Therefore, in many cases, walking by a store isn't going to activate the beacon. In addition, the beacons are not that accurate, so it's difficult to tell which department you're in. Combined with the long interval between updates, the most you can really hope for is that you get an update for some department you're close to within four minutes of walking into a store. It's difficult to understand how that's going to be useful to shoppers.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
So many stories about iBeacons.
I'm not that excited to have intrusive shopping apps.

I mean, I can see how something like this could be used to make shopping better, of course, but I suspect it will mainly be used to try to push me into additional/extra purchases.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
So many stories about iBeacons.
I'm not that excited to have intrusive shopping apps.

I mean, I can see how something like this could be used to make shopping better, of course, but I suspect it will mainly be used to try to push me into additional/extra purchases.

Personally what I would like to see is something that can guide me to what I'm looking for in a store, rather than having to hunt down an employee for directions, which can be an arduous task. Home Depot, I'm looking at you. :(

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Personally what I would like to see is something that can guide me to what I'm looking for in a store, rather than having to hunt down an employee for directions, which can be an arduous task. Home Depot, I'm looking at you. :(
The Home Depot iPhone app can already do that. It can recognize when you're in a store. You can then enter the item you are looking for in a store-specific menu, and it tells you the shelf number.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009

Same here. When I shop I don't want to be bothered and only ask for help if I can't find what I am looking for.

If like another poster mentions it takes 4 minutes for iBeacon to get recognized,
forget it.

Not everything in shopping needs a technological solution, although it would be great if the iBeacon tells you: It's cheaper at XYZ store:)

Alumeenium

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
where can I download a iBeaconBlocker App

I really don't want more annoying ads
especially walking past shops I'll never go into in the first place

:mad:

grahamwright1

Cancelled
Feb 10, 2008

Hmm, slide up under iOS 7, click the Bluetooth icon to disable it, reverse these steps when you leave the shopping center :)

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
It's going to be interesting to see iBeacons evolve.

I think Apple needs to create an app for iBeacons that lists all the participating companies. Then, the user should be able to opt in/out on a retailer by retailer basis right from that app.

Chances are, if I walk into a store, I'm going to walk right past the sign that says "Download our app and use iBeacons today!" because I have to take out my phone, go to the App Store, search for the app, and put in my password (iPhone 5).

All this to get repeat notifications when I walk past the same area of the store multiple times? I don't think so. That's another glaring problem with iBeacons that will need to be addressed.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
In addition, the beacons are not that accurate, so it's difficult to tell which department you're in. Combined with the long interval between updates, the most you can really hope for is that you get an update for some department you're close to within four minutes of walking into a store. It's difficult to understand how that's going to be useful to shoppers.

I've tested iBeacon for myself and found it quite accurate to less then a few feet, if that. That was just using a developers version.

Therefore, in many cases, walking by a store isn't going to activate the beacon.

The beacon is already active before you even get within range, it also depends on if you have the correct app for the store installed and configured.

RenoGuy

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2012
I wonder...

I wonder if Target will have an Ibeacon App!:eek:

Those guys in Eastern Europe must be licking their chops!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.