Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sonnet today announced the first Thunderbolt 2 expansion chassis, allowing owners of late 2013-era MacBook Pro and Mac Pro models to add two or three PCIe cards to their machines.

There are three new options, desktop and rack mount three-slot chassis, plus a two-slot desktop version.

sonnetexpansionchassi.png
The Echo Express III-D, Echo Express III-R, and Echo Express SE II incorporate ultra-fast Thunderbolt 2 technology, which delivers twice the throughput of 10 Gb/sec Thunderbolt and provides sufficient bandwidth to support many of the highest-performance and most-demanding PCIe cards. The new expansion chassis support every kind of Thunderbolt-compatible PCIe card available -- enabling the use of professional video capture, audio interface, 16Gb and 8Gb Fibre Channel, 10 Gigabit Ethernet, SAS and SATA HBA, and RAID controller cards with Thunderbolt-enabled iMac®, Mac® mini, Mac Pro®, MacBook Air®, and MacBook Pro® computers. Plus, the Sonnet systems' dual Thunderbolt 2 ports support full-bandwidth connectivity with Thunderbolt 2-equipped host computers, full backward compatibility with 10 Gb/sec Thunderbolt-equipped computers and devices, and daisy-chaining of other Thunderbolt 2 and Thunderbolt devices.
Customers who purchased Thunderbolt 1 equipped expansion chassis can get free upgrades to the Thunderbolt 2 version. All the Thunderbolt 2 chassis are fully backwards-compatible with older Thunderbolt equipped Macs.

The desktop three-slot version is available for $979, the rack mount three-slot is $1,199, and the two-slot desktop is $499.

Article Link: Sonnet Shipping First New Thunderbolt 2 PCIe Expansion Chassis

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
Does this mean I can add more GPU's to the new Mac Pro??? Can FCPX 10.1 handle 4 GPU's???

eladnova

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2012
These dont officially support Graphics Cards, right?

I heard something about intel not approving external GPus andthen driver probs?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Is that price for real???
F-that...

Don't see many of these moving...

Again, these are for professionals.

--

I'm going to assume this can't handle higher-end video cards on PCI Express 3.0? Still not enough bandwidth.

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
I had the same question

That would be a shame, external graphics card could make a MBA even more appealing

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
There's seems to be little information about the mobile rack add on.

What it costs, how you control the drives added to it. It's not clear if it's some kind of solution with SATA and power cable leaving the 3 PCIe slots free for other uses or if you need a SATA card with multiple internal connectors and it just provides drive bays and power.

In their suggested uses, it even shows a configuration with their own 4 port SATA card, yet all the ports are external. That makes no sense.

Last edited:

koulmj

Suspended
Mar 18, 2013

I've seen Thunderbolt GPU's in similair looking enclosures, but i have heard also that Intel doesn't like the external GPU idea, so I don't suspect that I want will work right out of the box...

the price...too much, sorry :(

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I'm glad that Sonnet is shipping something in the near future. I'm still waiting for word on their Echo 15. The last update they posted was in October. There are still so few options for versatile T-Bolt docks. Sonnet got this one right, but who knows when -- if ever -- it will ship.

faslane

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2006
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

yeah not so much for this price you'd BETTER have an income to justify this cost (like editing booth or something). Thunderbolt 1 hasn't even became an affordable option for most and the peripherals are still super expensive. Thunderbolt just seems like it's meant for about 2% of Mac users. I know MANY creative types who don't even bother with it because of the cost of all the extras that you would benefit from by having but that's only high-end editors and whatnot. Definitely not for the general population at all.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
The new expansion chassis support every kind of Thunderbolt-compatible PCIe card available -- enabling the use of professional video capture, audio interface, 16Gb and 8Gb Fibre Channel, 10 Gigabit Ethernet, SAS and SATA HBA, and RAID controller cards with Thunderbolt-enabled iMac®, Mac® mini, Mac Pro®, MacBook Air®, and MacBook Pro® computers.

Why aren't graphics cards compatible?

macrogeek

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2014
These aren't built for GPU's. Though they can work for a GPU.
The card has to have a thunderbolt-aware driver. (driver code has to specify the resources they require and support hot-plugging)

You might see someone use one to add in a Quadro or something to a Mac mini or iMac for high end GPU applications.

I work in the audio industry. People use them to add DSP processing cards to Mac Pro, iMac, Mac mini. Usually Avid HDX cards. Sonnet and Magma both sell a lot of chassis to video people, they'll put a BlackMagic or other capture card in there, and sometimes a storage controller...then they have video ingest and a working drive in one box.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Why aren't graphics cards compatible?

There really should a Thunderbolt usage for beginners FAQ on here somewhere and if there is, it should be linked on every thunderbolt article for easy reference.

Thunderbolt2 offers 2 x 10Gbit/s channels combined. Thunderbolt offers them as seperate channels. Neither of those speeds offer anywhere near the bandwidth of a 16xPCie card and even then, most higher end GPUs are double-wide and need internal power. You'd end up using 2 slots for 1 card, leaving only 1 PCIe slot for other uses and then cripple the card with bandwidth that doesn't even come close to 4xPCIe.

Marlor

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2005
Does this mean I can add more GPU's to the new Mac Pro??? Can FCPX 10.1 handle 4 GPU's???

Thunderbolt 2 certainly won't support PCIex16. It doesn't have the throughput.

Your GPU would have to be PCIex8, and you would need to somehow get driver support for it within OS X. In other words, no.

Maybe external GPUs will finally be viable when Thunderbolt 3 is released.

wiz329

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010

Doubt it. Getting support for dual GPUs is going to be hard enough.

----------

There really should a Thunderbolt usage for beginners FAQ on here somewhere and if there is, it should be linked on every thunderbolt article for easy reference.

Thunderbolt2 offers 2 x 10Gbit/s channels combined. Thunderbolt offers them as seperate channels. Neither of those speeds offer anywhere near the bandwidth of a 16xPCie card and even then, most higher end GPUs are double-wide and need internal power. You'd end up using 2 slots for 1 card, leaving only 1 PCIe slot for other uses and then cripple the card with bandwidth that doesn't even come close to 4xPCIe.

Is there a simple data on average bandwidth use for 1x, 2x, 3x, and 4x GPU setups?

mysticalos

macrumors member
May 8, 2007

Honestly, not really. There is a diminishing return do to the bandwidth. The more you add the lower bandwidth each card has available to it. Maybe if they hadn't dropped to 1 cpu and cutted bandwidth. Now if they released a dual cpu mac pro with twice the lanes and more bandwidth for TB2...

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
These aren't built for GPU's. Though they can work for a GPU.
The card has to have a thunderbolt-aware driver. (driver code has to specify the resources they require and support hot-plugging)

You might see someone use one to add in a Quadro or something to a Mac mini or iMac for high end GPU applications.

I work in the audio industry. People use them to add DSP processing cards to Mac Pro, iMac, Mac mini. Usually Avid HDX cards. Sonnet and Magma both sell a lot of chassis to video people, they'll put a BlackMagic or other capture card in there, and sometimes a storage controller...then they have video ingest and a working drive in one box.

But, what if you plug in the card before you boot up the system? Then, hot swapping support wouldn't be needed?

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008

Doesn't TB2 support channel bonding? Even without bonding the channels you still have 10Gbit which approx equal to PCIeX4. There's been several benchmarks done on earlier GPU cards with different PCIeXx connections and unless you're gaming at 1024x768, the loss in fps from going from PCIeX16 down to PCIeX4 is minimal at higher resolutions. The lack of a TB2 to GPU adapter is purely political from Intel and possibly Apple's standpoint as the ability to plug in a GTX780 to upgrade your 2012 rMBP would keep upgrade dollars out of their hands as the lowliest i5 in rMBP is more than capable of driving a AMD 290 or Nvidia GTX 780

EDIT:
HERE
is a great article, looks like AMD cards take a smaller hit than Nvidia cards with <x16 PCIex

Last edited:

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
If you have a mac with two TB ports, I don't really understand why one would buy the three-slot when you can get two of the two-slots for barely any more money… ?

Great that these exist though.

Shame it doesn't actually complement the Mac Pro.

Yeah, they should have made it look like a stormtrooper! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.