Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will begin offering in-store screen replacements or repairs for iPhone 5c displays next week, starting on Monday, January 20, according to 9to5Mac.

iphone5c.jpg
Apple has begun conducting iPhone 5c screen replacements in a small number of stores in the United States over the past couple of months, but the January 20th rollout will represent a full-scale launch in all of Apple's retail regions aside from Hong Kong and Canada.
Broken displays that aren't covered under AppleCare+ will likely cost $149 per device to replace or repair, while displays that are covered under AppleCare+ are likely to cost $79 per device, similar to the pricing structure Apple employs for broken iPhone 5 displays.

In-store replacements/repairs for iPhone 5s displays are still in Apple's plans and are "coming soon", though are not expected to roll out next week alongside iPhone 5c replacements/repairs. The moves are part of Apple's larger shift to lower repair costs.

Article Link: Apple to Begin iPhone 5c In-Store Screen Replacements Next Week

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Seems like good news for the customers, but this is MacRumors so I'm sure people will spin this into something bad. Maybe whine about the cost?

MonstaMash

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
Good for iPhone 5c customers that don't want the hassle of having to restore all of their data to just get the screen replaced.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
This has only stared happening to me but sometimes when i tap on my 5S's screen it makes a noise. Right now it isn't but sometimes it's really noticeable, really weird.

tjanssen1990

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2009
Canada

Aww, no love for Canada?

I wonder why only Canada and Hong Kong were left out (Assuming I read the article correctly)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
According to the media nobody is buying the 5C. Why would they need this?

Mac.Pro

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2014
I was glad to hear that they provide free iPhone 5 replacements for those with dust underneath the camera lens, which includes me.

Ozid

macrumors regular
May 22, 2011
Los Angeles
That guy pulled that from his ass.

Not likely. When screens are attached with glue to the glass, they can occasionally separate. For example, if push abnormally hard on it regularly and you live in an area that gets very warm or you let your phone get very warm, this can happen.

You see this often with Otterboxes (and similar) because the sensitivity is lessened with the overlay and the phone heats up more than usual while in the sealed case.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
So if you bought applecare+ for $99 you still need to pay $79? :confused:

Which means in total you end up paying more with applecare than without. I'm laughing at how apple rips people off and gets away with it.

This. It use to be $99 and then a $49 deductible and they would give you a new phone! Now they want $99 and $79 and they replace the screen. What the hell is the point of the insurance?!?! If I had insurance and dropped my phone, I would be sure to dunk it in the toilet so they would give me a new phone as well.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA

Apparently, there are people on this planet who have no regard for ensuring that their electronics are protected from mayhem.

This. It use to be $99 and then a $49 deductible and they would give you a new phone! Now they want $99 and $79 and they replace the screen. What the hell is the point of the insurance?!?! If I had insurance and dropped my phone, I would be sure to dunk it in the toilet so they would give me a new phone as well.

Why would you make your phone unusable and unrepairable? Entitled?

The images that accompany this article make it appear the actual display and not the protective glass has problems. THAT is a quality control problem.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Apparently, there are people on this planet who have no regard for ensuring that their electronics are protected from mayhem.

Why would you make your phone unusable and unrepairable? Entitled?

The images that accompany this article make it appear the actual display and not the protective glass has problems. THAT is a quality control problem.

I'm just saying they use to give you a new phone instead of repairs. If the deductible is the same and you have cosmetic damage, why not dunk it and get a new phone.

I wonder if people who bought apple care before the policy change get a new phone. I was told if I dropped my phone and the screen broke for $49 I would get a new phone.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK

And that's exactly why I would be happier having my screen repaired in store, rather than have it replaced with a "new" white-box one that could well be your broken and dunked-in-the-toilet-just-to-be-sure that's since been refurbished by Apple.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
And that's exactly why I would be happier having my screen repaired in store, rather than have it replaced with a "new" white-box one that could well be your broken and dunked-in-the-toilet-just-to-be-sure that's since been refurbished by Apple.

I have never had an issue with anything refurbished from apple. Plus they come with the same warranty. I do understand your point though.

Ms6boost

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2014

That's not how Apple's replacement program works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.