Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
I have daily display glitches on my late 2011 13" model and it has the lame Intel HD Graphics 3000. It has happened since the Mavericks betas...

I have an early 2011 13", still using Mountain Lion. I was thinking I'll have to downgrade to Mavericks soon for the security patches, but it sounds like I might have to give up security for stability. Amazing how Apple can't support my OS 18 months after release.

rosujin

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2010
I'm glad it's not just me. I started having this exact problem with my early 2011 MBP a couple of months ago. Last time it happened I shot a video with my iPhone just in case I had to show it to an Apple "genius."

The funny thing is this laptop was a free replacement given to me after Apple tried (and failed) 3 times to resolve a screen flicker issue on my '09 MBP!

Apple store...here I come!

billbrasky66

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
Early 2011 MBP here. Radeon 6750M/1GB.

I noticed last spring that when the discrete card would kick in, I would often get a distorted screen or the system would hang. After a while it got so bad I couldn't even reboot. Would generally freeze with a gray or "pinstripe" screen.

Spent about a month in repair (luckily I got a loaner). The first time they tried to say it was the LCD even though I told them it was the graphics card. Surprisingly, it passed the HW diagnostics fine and they told me that nothing was wrong. Got it back, would freeze as soon as I started reinstalling the OS. Sent it back to repair again, and eventually they replaced the logic board and it's been fine since.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
My Late 2008 MBP had a similar problem, Apple refused to fix it so I just had to live with it for 5 years. I just turned off the discreet GPU and it solved the issue. Strange that the issue is only popping up now, 3 years after the purchase date. So it won't be covered by Warranty and AppleCare...

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Had this once. Luckily i had Applecare, they replaced the Logic Board and battery which was also dying. I realised others were having similar problems and it was recurring. In other words its the whole GT 8600M debacle again.

I promptly sold the machine after that and got a Retina.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I have a 2008 Macbook Pro and it has been freezing and locking up on me. Anyone else having this issue? Maybe it's the upgrade to Maverick.

My son uses my late '08 MBP (last model with EC/34 port) to play Minecraft daily. It's set to use the GPU 100% of the time and I'm not seeing any issues. Minecraft gets the fans running full speed too. I think it's the 9600m chipset.

crisgarner

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2014
I't happened to me, I bought the late 2011 15' since I thought the extra GPU would help... that was my mistake, contacted Apple support via internet since my applecare was done, and they said "it wasn't an know issue", since we don't have apple stores in my country I send it to a local shop and they did a reballing, so far it works but I'm sure it will fail again.. soon

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
I have one of these models with the 6490M gfx chip so I'm slightly worried, although nothing has happened yet.

This sounds like the good old reballing issue that affected loads of HP machines about 3 or 4 years ago. The chips were essentially heated into the boards and given time and heat - expansion and contraction the links would crack and the chip would lose connectivity with the board. They would be buy the laptop brand new and just outside the warranty this happened.

Clearly a poor and improperly tested technique possibly for cost saving.

There was a method to heat the board and chip back up again and allow the solder to flow back into the joints and while risky it often fixed the problem.

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
I wonder if we'll be reading about the 2012 machines doing this a year from now.

I always run my fan high when gfx switcher turns to 'N'. It's ridiculous how hot the machine runs if left to default fan setting.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
That's quality right there.

Really.

Most people do not have these issues and the one's that do are being taken care of.

Name one product that has never had some issues. Most manufacturers simpley leave the users out in the cold.

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
Had this problem on my Early 2011 MBP last year. Apple replaced the logic board and battery(!) an no charge under AppleCare. No problem since.

Always get the AppleCare.

Apple should deliver better products or provide better warranty. A 3 year old (2011 you say) computer of €2000 shouldn't crap out randomly and in need of a €500 repair. And when it does Apple should just replace whatever parts necessary free of charge.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Isn't this common in Apple products?

What failing GPU's due to manufacturers defects? Not really. Nvidia GPU's from 2008 had this problem and it was across all OEM's who used the 8000 series GPUs (including HP, Dell, etc.). If this is the case, it sounds like any OEM's who used AMD 6000 series GPU's might be experiencing the same problem. Bad luck for Apple if it turns out their pick for the 2011's has the same fate as their 2008 Macbook Pros.

Unfortunately, it is impossible to test for what MIGHT happen to a component in 1-2 years down the line because you can't test a computer for 2 years before releasing it. Yes you can stress test, but unfortunately that is only a few months worth of testing before a computer has to be released. Imagine if Apple was JUST releasing Sandy Bridge laptops with 6000 series AMD GPU's in 2014 because they waited to see how every component would do after 2-3 years worth of use!

Cyloncat

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
NC, USA
I've had occasional glitches like this with my mid-2012 MBP (non-retina, 1680x1050 screen, Intel HD graphics 4000 plus Nvidia GT 650M). It started when a little over a year old, mostly on wakeup and generally clears after less than a minute. It shows as vertical red streaks about 2 pixels wide, all across the screen.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Apple should deliver better products or provide better warranty. A 3 year old (2011 you say) computer of €2000 shouldn't crap out randomly and in need of a €500 repair. And when it does Apple should just replace whatever parts necessary free of charge.

And if it turns out to be a Manufacturer defect, they will. Go back to the Nvidia 8000 series failure from 2008 and you will see that Apple took care of their customers MUCH better than any other OEM's. Heck I believe HP only relented to fix the laptops AFTER they were slapped with a massive lawsuit.

Enraginangel

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
I have a 2010 15" MacBook Pro which had the Nvidia 330M. I got my GPU replaced last year through the replacement program after it had several kernel panics (no applecare). However, with the new Mavericks, my MacBook has to stay on integrated graphics all the time because the 330m will bring my temps up to 95C on load. I can't even watch flash video without fear of overheating my MacBook. When I plug in my iphone to charge, my MacBook shuts off for a brief second and turns back on like nothing happened. Of course all my network connections get disconnected.

I just need this MacBook to last me until the new summer refresh and I'll get a new 2014 Haswell rev.2 MacBook Pro with Retina Display. 4 years for a laptop isn't bad, but it's not great.

Nitrocide

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2005
Bristol, UK
I recently had my mid 2010 mbp's logic board replaced by Apple, for free, but also due to a known faulty graphics chip. Kind of come to expect it from MacBook Pros now unfortunately!

And1ss

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Yep, this happened to me a month ago. Luckily it was under Applecare so I was able to get the display and logic board replaced for free. Otherwise, it would have been a $1000 repair.

Apple QA seems to have gone down in recent years....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.