Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Chewie died in the novels.

Fortunately, those novels (well all the novels, games and comics) are no longer canon.

Disney has officially said, only the movies and Clone Wars TV shows are canon at the moment. They are reevaluating the novels, comics, and games and may be adding stuff back in later. They did this mostly due to Dark Horse's rights expiring next year, and keeping the timeline simple for people, so it's not required to read dozens of books for the new movies to make sense.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Fortunately, those novels (well all the novels, games and comics) are no longer canon.

Disney has officially said, only the movies and Clone Wars TV shows are canon at the moment. They are reevaluating the novels, comics, and games and may be adding stuff back in later. They did this mostly due to Dark Horse's rights expiring next year, and keeping the timeline simple for people, so it's not required to read dozens of books for the new movies to make sense.

Yes I heard that, but I've been reading this stuff for 25 years. You can't unread them and forget it all.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Actually Disney are just looking to make a return on their investment.

Now how many toys, films, duvet covers can this new character sell?

They aren't in it for he fans.

Which is smart. Catering to fans alone can't keep franchises afloat, ask Paramount. Also, let's be honest, Lucas didn't give a flying **** about the fans either.

With that said, I'm looking forward to Marvel's Star Wars comics, maybe we can finally get comics that don't have **** art.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Which is smart. Catering to fans alone can't keep franchises afloat, ask Paramount. Also, let's be honest, Lucas didn't give a flying **** about the fans either.
If you're referring to the Star Trek franchise, its was their attempts to broaden the audience by appealing to the lowest common denominator [coupled with generally inept writing] that almost killed it. The people that actually tuned in didn't want to see the crew rubbing vaseline all over each other, nor did they wish to follow the adventures of a smug ****** of a captain. (you'd think they would have learned that lesson from season one TNG)

Last edited:

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
If you're referring to the Star Trek franchise, its was their attempts to broaden the audience by appealing to the lowest common denominator [coupled with generally inept writing] that almost killed it. The people that actually tuned in didn't want to see the crew rubbing vaseline all over each other, nor did they wish to follow the adventures of a smug ****** of a captain. (you'd think they would have learned that lesson from season one TNG)

And yet, by letting Trek be more appealing to the masses, they created movies that sold better than any other Trek movies. Granted, I'm still miffed that we never got DS9 movies, but that's just me as a fan.

Personally, I would rather see a full reboot of the Star Wars franchise. Then we could jettison the plot holes and continuity flaws in the original and prequel trilogies.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
And yet, by letting Trek be more appealing to the masses, they created movies that sold better than any other Trek movies. Granted, I'm still miffed that we never got DS9 movies, but that's just me as a fan.

Personally, I would rather see a full reboot of the Star Wars franchise. Then we could jettison the plot holes and continuity flaws in the original and prequel trilogies.

A reboot? I'd rather go to Hoth in my boxer shorts.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011

Considering that Enterprise was created specifically to appeal to a broader audience, and failed miserably, I have to believe there is a little more to it than that.

Forget a reboot. Just retcon out Episode 1 through 3. It wouldn't be the first time a long running franchise has done this.
(Star Trek V, for instance, is largely contradicted by Star Trek VI and ST Voyager)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.