Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
AWS? :confused: Pardon my ignorance haha.

LTE in my area used to be no more than 27mbps. Now it's almost 80mbps (79.95mbps) in some speed tests! :eek:

Thanks for the info! VZW already deployed one layer of LTE a few years back (called 700) and that's the one that you're seeing lower speeds on. Due to congestion and demand, VZW added a significantly larger network later on the AWS frequency, which is why you're seeing 80mbps speeds. It's awesome because VZW is offloading the lower layers users onto the top layer to provide a faster experience for everyone!

MsRandall

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2011
Bay Area, Ca
Verizon in Fairfield, Ca####

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 75

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
AT&T updated the towers where I live recently. There is a HUGE difference between "4G" and LTE.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 76

allisonfranz

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2014
Boston
I usually run a few back to back...and use both the FCC app and the speedtest app. When I'm in an area with a strong signal, I get consistent results with both. The main difference being the latency, speedtest always seems to have a faster ping. I have only seen 50+ one time, but usually in the 40's. An ATT rep showed me a screen grab of 50+ on his Atrix HD as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.