Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lanceuppercut47

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2013
Am I right in thinking that this only affects low light performance in videos and not photos? Also the caveat is that it's no good for concerts?

Does this apply even for the 5s as well?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Am I right in thinking that this only affects low light performance in videos and not photos? Also the caveat is that it's no good for concerts?

Does this apply even for the 5s as well?

Videos only.

1, better low-light performance (on the expense of lower-than-30p framerate on the 5s)

2, wider and significantly taller image (that is, significantly wider FoV)

Rock concerts was an example where my tweaked mode shouldn't be used - there, steady 30p is needed, which not even on the 5s is feasible under bad lighting, let alone less capable iDevices. As opposed to scenes / subjects with little movement, where the gains in the wider FoV or low-light performance easily outweigh the framerate drop problem - a conference or lecture, for example.

yungskeeme

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
Strange it would do that. Here, a Cydia repo not responding to HTTP requests would only result in the Cydia client's elongated, but definitely cancelable Package.gz fetching during refreshing. Strange the Cydia packages would be refreshed during booting up - I've never seen anything like that (and it'd be pretty pointless - why would Cydia fetch the packages, anyway, other than updating the badge of updated apps?).

All in all, it's highly unlikely the Cydia timeout caused the boot issue - unless the Evasion 7 JB has a bug.

(BTW, my repo is working again.)

Yeah it was weird. Guess I'll back up my jailbreak apps and try again. Thanks!!!

lanceuppercut47

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2013
Videos only.

1, better low-light performance (on the expense of lower-than-30p framerate on the 5s)

2, wider and significantly taller image (that is, significantly wider FoV)

Rock concerts was an example where my tweaked mode shouldn't be used - there, steady 30p is needed, which not even on the 5s is feasible under bad lighting, let alone less capable iDevices. As opposed to scenes / subjects with little movement, where the gains in the wider FoV or low-light performance easily outweigh the framerate drop problem - a conference or lecture, for example.

For lack of better terminology, does it rely on the user to be more stable when taking videos?

Best way I can describe what I'm asking is when taking photos during the day and at night, the higher ISO means if there is any shake, 9 times out of 10 you'll end up a blurry photo.

Does this also apply to when taking videos with this new lower light mode, does it require absolute stablility to not end up with blurry videos (more so than what is usual)

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
For lack of better terminology, does it rely on the user to be more stable when taking videos?

Best way I can describe what I'm asking is when taking photos during the day and at night, the higher ISO means if there is any shake, 9 times out of 10 you'll end up a blurry photo.

Does this also apply to when taking videos with this new lower light mode, does it require absolute stablility to not end up with blurry videos (more so than what is usual)

Yup, no image stabilization is utilized either. After all, Apple's current iDevices all lack teh superior Optical IS; the only IS they have is the inferior electronic, which uses the outermost area of their sensor. That's one (but not all) of the reasons they have (even horizontally) far narrower FoV during video shooting than during shooting stills.

lanceuppercut47

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2013
Yup, no image stabilization is utilized either. After all, Apple's current iDevices all lack teh superior Optical IS; the only IS they have is the inferior electronic, which uses the outermost area of their sensor. That's one (but not all) of the reasons they have (even horizontally) far narrower FoV during video shooting than during shooting stills.
Will a tweak ever be possible to get better low light performance out of older devices (or even make the newer devices better in low light)?

Different question, did a test video and can instantly see the difference on playback on the 4s I'm using to test. I tried to copy the 2 files to my (Windows) machine, the standard video plays fine in WMP but the tweaked video doesn't play on WMP but does in QT player (which I can't stand), why is this?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Will a tweak ever be possible to get better low light performance out of older devices (or even make the newer devices better in low light)?

In video or stills?

In stills, third-party apps can extend the shutter speed up to 1s. If you're shooting a static subject and use a tripod (or can hold the iPhone steadily to avoid blur), it can help.

Unfortunately, the only tweak directly hooking into the stock Camera client, CameraTweak, doesn't allow for extending the shutter speed. (And it's not iOS7-compliant as yet.)

In videos, oversampling (the exact thing my tweak does) works but it seriously reduces the video framerate under bad light, even on the 5s, which, otherwise, is capable of 1224p30 shooting under good light with the tool.

Different question, did a test video and can instantly see the difference on playback on the 4s I'm using to test. I tried to copy the 2 files to my (Windows) machine, the standard video plays fine in WMP but the tweaked video doesn't play on WMP but does in QT player (which I can't stand), why is this?

Try VLC. It'll surely be able to play it back.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
Am I getting this right ?

- This tweak is only for videos.

- I should use this tweak when the subjects I'm recording don't move fast and they are in a low light scenario.

- I should not use this tweak when I'm at a concert or I'm recording fast moving objects (car races, bike tricks, kids running etc) and the scenario has normal light conditions.

Am I right ?

Thanks.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Am I getting this right ?

- This tweak is only for videos..

Yes.

- I should use this tweak when the subjects I'm recording don't move fast

Yes
and they are in a low light scenario.

Not necessarily. In low light, my tweaked mode "brightens up" the image because of the upsampling. However, it reduces the framerate even further, even on the 5s.

Therefore, under low light, you may want to prefer my mode to the factory one if you'd prefer as bright image as possible, even with the framerate suffering.

I should not use this tweak when I'm at a concert

Depends on what kind of concert. Rock concert with plenty of movement? Avoid it. Classical (e.g., piano)? Might be OK.

or I'm recording fast moving objects (car races, bike tricks, kids running etc)

Yup, in these cases it is to be avoided.

and the scenario has normal light conditions.

It works just fine in normal light on the 5s.

The other main advantage of the tweak is the significantly wider FoV.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
Yes.

Yes

Not necessarily. In low light, my tweaked mode "brightens up" the image because of the upsampling. However, it reduces the framerate even further, even on the 5s.

Therefore, under low light, you may want to prefer my mode to the factory one if you'd prefer as bright image as possible, even with the framerate suffering.

Depends on what kind of concert. Rock concert with plenty of movement? Avoid it. Classical (e.g., piano)? Might be OK.

Yup, in these cases it is to be avoided.

It works just fine in normal light on the 5s.

The other main advantage of the tweak is the significantly wider FoV.

Thank you !

insestito

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2014
Only applying this the camera is better?

--------------------------------
Wide, Full Sensor /// Full
--------------------------------

to do anything else?:

PS.: Thanks a lot!

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Universal version released!

I've finished working on the universal version of my tool. No longer need you search for the right version for you – it's all in one app.

It's available as “VidCam WideAngle Tweak” on my private repo (address: http://winmobiletech.com/cy ):

My%20Video%20Camera%20Wideangle%20Tweak%20-%20cydia%20list.jpeg

Cydia list (full-quality image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/33448355@N07/11947868124/ )

My%20Video%20Camera%20Wideangle%20Tweak%20-%20cydia%20feature%20page.jpeg

Cydia main page (full-quality image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/33448355@N07/11948263966/ )

The GUI is cleaned up. It only has two pickers.

The left one allows for switching between the default (“narrow”) and the wideangle (“wide”) mode.

The right one sets the bitrate, which is effective in both modes, regardless of the narrow / wide mode. That is, you may want to use my app even if you don't ever want to use its wide mode, solely to decrease (or, if you really want, increase) the bitrate to save a lot of storage (or achieve even more quality – even if it's hardly visible, if at all).

The model-specific default bitrate is denoted as “Default”. It's 17 Mbps for all supported (iPhone4+ and iPad3+) models, except for the iPhone 4 (10.5 Mbps) and the iPad 3 (21 Mbps).

Below the default bitrate, there are bitrates divided by 2, 4 and 8. With the 17 Mbps bitrate, they allow for quickly setting 17/2=8.5, 17/4=4.25 and 17/8=2.125 Mbps.

Below them, a full spectrum of bitrates are to be found, starting with the really-high 40 Mbps (I don't think you'll ever want to use it but I do provide even such bitrates as several of my users asked for it), down to as low as 250 kbps.

Of course, you really won't want to to use bitrates under 1 Mbps for quality recording, particularly on non-iPhone4 models (the iPhone4 is the only supported model with 720p recording only; other models record to the more bitrate-consuming 1080p resolution.)

After setting the parameters, tap the “Go!” button. You can safely tap it any number of times – you don't need to exit and reenter my app to change the parameters, should you want to do it right after setting another one. Of course, you'll still need to kill the stock Camera app so that the parameter changes become visible.

Below the Go! button, there's a state window. Here, I display state and possible errors. It's highly unlikely you'll see any error messages here. However, what you'll see is the sensor and the capture dimensions and the bitrate – both when read from the system files and when writing to them.

This is the GUI:

My%20Video%20Camera%20Wideangle%20Tweak%20-%20GUI.jpeg

GUI (full-quality image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/33448355@N07/11948263656/ )

What about the other models?

1, if you need support for the iPod touch 5G, iPhone 5c, iPad Air and the iPad Mini's, let me know. It's very easy to add other models to the supported models' list.
2, the iPhone 3GS is no longer supported as, under iOS6, it doesn't seem to be hackable. Nevertheless, I may release a hi-res tweak for it running on iOS5 – after all, my hi-res tweak worked wonders back in time.
3, the iPad 2 and iPod touch 4G already produce the widest possible FoV in video mode as their sensors are exactly targeted at 720p video recording. Therefore, there wouldn't be any special “wide” mode for them – at least when it comes to video shooting.

Source code & programmers' corner

As always, I provide you with the full source codes of the app. It's at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u... univ/iPhoneWideFoVCamcorderEnhancer-univ.zip

You do NOT want to run it from Xcode – the final '[serializedData writeToFile:fullSystemPlistPath atomically:NO]' will fail. (However, everything else will work just fine, including reading – as opposed to writing to - the same file.) Just create a DEB file of the compiled app and deploy it to your iDevice, should you want to test all its functionalities, including the exporting of the new parameters.

The code itself is very simple – and could be made even simpler by simply removing typedef NS_ENUM(NSInteger, DeviceType). I've left it there for easier further development with a more typesafe (as opposed to plain isEqualToString calls) frequent access to the current device type. However, currently, it's only used in one statement (if (iDeviceType == iPad3_J2a || iDeviceType == iPad4_P101 || iDeviceType == iPad4_P103 || iDeviceType == iPhone4_N90)) where a simple isEqualToString would have worked too.

The preinst file

There's some considerable logic in the preinst debian file. As opposed to the previous, strictly one model-specific tweak versions, in this universal, multi-model-compliant version I need to iterate over all supported configurations. In addition, I must refuse installing if none of the supported models are found (by returning a return value other than 0).

With the “firmware (>= 6.0)” dependency in the Packages.gz file I can easily guarantee the tweak is only installed on hardware running iOS 6.0 or later. However, to check for a given device model and all this based on the existence of a given subfolder, scripting was necessary.

All this resulted in the following script:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
dirnames=( N90 N94 N41 N42 N51 N53 J2a P101 P103 )
for currIteratedSubdirname in ${dirnames[@]}
do
	dirname=/System/Library/Frameworks/MediaToolbox.framework/$currIteratedSubdirname
	if [ -d $dirname ]; then
		chown mobile $dirname/AVCaptureSession.plist
		chmod o+w $dirname/
		exit 0
	fi 
done
echo !!!!!
echo !!!!!
echo !!!!!
echo !!!!!
echo Incompatible hardware - check if you have supported hardware!
echo !!!!!
echo !!!!!
echo !!!!!
echo !!!!!
exit 255

Basically, this iterates over the dirnames array, which has the elements N90, N94, N41, N42, N51, N53, J2a, P101 and P103. If a subdirectory exists under /System/Library/Frameworks/MediaToolbox.framework/ with the just-iterated name, I exit with 0, letting the installation continue. If it doesn't, I exit with 255, that is, by signaling an error, which causes Cydia to refuse further installation.

Note that the Objective-C app also uses a very similar method (iterate over an array of the subdirectory names) of finding out the current model type:

Code:
    NSArray* dirNameArr = @[@"N90", @"N94", @"N41", @"N42", @"N51", @"N53", @"J2a", @"P101", @"P103"];
    NSString* dirPrefix = @"/System/Library/Frameworks/MediaToolbox.framework";
    BOOL subdirFound = NO;
    for (NSString* currSubdirName in dirNameArr)
    {
            NSString* fullDirPath = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"%@/%@", dirPrefix, currSubdirName];
            BOOL fileExists = [[NSFileManager defaultManager] fileExistsAtPath:fullDirPath];
            if (fileExists)
            {
                self.plistSubdirNameOfCurrDevice = currSubdirName;
                subdirFound = YES;
                break;
            }
    }
if (!subdirFound) exit(255);

Doing this iteration whenever the app is started is needed to avoid having to create a new file with the containing the current model type from the preinst script, which, later, could be accessed by the tweaker app. I've gone for a runtime check instead of a slightly smaller code, which, on the other hand, would have littered the file system a little bit (with at least one additional, even if a one-byte, file).

----------

to do anything else?:

Frankly, I didn't really got this... until I publish my full article (I'm already working on it), please read the rest of this thread, should you need a prompt answer. Or, again, wait for my full tutorial on how this all works.

Last edited:

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Does a higher bit rate mean less stress on the H264 encoder/decoder hardware? Since the compression would be lower

Would this increase frame rate? (In cases where it would normally drop below 30 fps)

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Does a higher bit rate mean less stress on the H264 encoder/decoder hardware? Since the compression would be lower

Would this increase frame rate? (In cases where it would normally drop below 30 fps)

I don't think so. After all, H.264 encoding is done in hardware and it's the sensor oversampling that is the bottleneck causing the framerate drop.

----

On a related note: I've released an iPhone 3GS hack at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1697172/ ; it's compatible with early iOS4.x versions (for example, 4.1).

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Today, I've benchmarked the iOS7 7.0.4 iPhone 5 after having benchmarked my iPhone 3GS (on iOS 4.1) video enhancers a LOT and finding out that

- setting AVCaptureMode_AudioVideoRecording > LiveSourceOptions > TemporalNoiseReductionMode from 1 to 0 results in massively higher framerates in all kinds of lighting.

- decreasing AVCaptureMode_AudioVideoRecording > LiveSourceOptions > MaxFrameRate from 30 to 20 resulted in significantly better outdoor performance. (The performance was roughly the same in bad light.)

I've played with the same (except for some of the outer keys' names) keys on the iPhone 5 to find out whether decreasing these values results in any kind of better performance.

Unfortunately, the answer is no.

Interestingly, under iOS 6, on the same iPhone 5, I measured a lot more difference between the values 0 and 1 of AVCaptureSessionPresetHigh > LiveSourceOptions > TemporalNoiseReductionMode, with 0 being significantly better under low light, just like on the 3GS. (Also see https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/17139035/ )

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
I can't find " AVCaptureMode_AudioVideoRecording> LiveSourceOptions>"

It's pre-4.3 only.

On iOS5/6, it's AVCaptureSessionPresetHigh > LiveSourceOptions > TemporalNoiseReductionMode

On iOS7, AVCaptureSessionPresetCommon > LiveSourceOptions > TemporalNoiseReductionMode

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
I've released the final version of my iOS 4.0...4.2.1-specific iPhone 3GS high resolution tweak. It allows for, in general, 10...12 fps recording at 1168 * 876; that is, almost twice the resolution (four times the number of pixels) of the original VGA recording.

It's available in my private repo at http://www.winmobiletech.com/cy under the name “3GS HiResVid (pre-iOS4.3)”:

ip3gs-cydia.jpeg

The Cydia detailed view:

ip3gs-detailed.jpeg

Simply install and start it. No previous tweaking needed.

And this is how the GUI looks like:

ip3gs-appinterface.jpeg

It must be operated in exactly the same way as my previous, universal tweak. The screenshot above, as you can easily see from the messages at the bottom, shows starting the app in VGA (default) mode and, after switching to hi-res mode (on the left) and increasing the bitrate to 10 Mbps (on the right), saving the new values via the "Go" button.

NOTE: despite my vast efforts on making the tweaked mode as flawless as possible, the hardware is simply incapable of delivering fluid results. Nevertheless, if you do need substantially higher-resolution footage than in the default mode and are ready to sacrifice the framerate and battery life (not a problem if you, say, record a slow-moving lecture and can power your phone while recording), you'll really want to give it a try – it'll deliver MUCH better results.

The full sources of the app are at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u.../iPhoneWideFoVCamcorderEnhancer -3gsiOS41.zip . Direct DEB link: http://www.winmobiletech.com/cy/deb...eocameraenhanceriospre43_1.0_iphoneos-arm.deb

Addendum: Downgrading to iOS 4.1

Currently, iOS 4.1 is the only iOS version you can downgrade your iPhone 3GS via iTunes (without SHSH blobs) to. Just remember:

1, start alt+restoring in DFU mode if you get Error 20 right at start (see https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1595226/ ).

2, if the restoration ends with Error 1015 (with me, it has always ended so), try restoring a different, non-6.1.3/non-4.1 (these are the two 3GS firmware versions Apple signs at the moment) firmware, say, 3.1.3, from iTunes. iTunes will, of course, refuse signing. This, however, will trigger the boot of 4.1. Alternatively, you can safely use TinyUmbrella to kick the phone off the Recovery loop. Don't try to re-flash 4.1 – it'll end up in the same Recovery loop.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
I've released a 4.3.x-compatible version for the iPhone 3GS.

It, just like the pre-4.3 version I released yesterday (direct link: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18658177/ ), supports fairly high-resolution video recording. In this regard, it's vastly different from iOS5 and iOS6, which, as has also been explained in my yesterday's release notes, no longer support high-res shooting.

Therefore, should you want to record at high resolution (and be absolutely sure you know the inherent, related problems the iPhone 3G S hardware has), you must downgrade to an iOS version 4.x. Should you want the better video quality, you will want to prefer iOS versions prior to iOS4.3. However, given that almost no new AppStore releases, both updates and new apps, have supported these iOS versions since Sept, 2012, you'll want to prefer going the pre-iOS4.3 way if and only if you are absolutely sure you won't need to run any fairly new third-party app on your iPhone.

In addition to having better hi-res video recording, another case of preferring iOS versions prior to iOS 4.3 is the lack of any saved SHSH blobs. If you have never jailbroken your 3GS or missed doing so on 4.3.x, you won't be able to downgrade to any 4.3.x iOS version. 4.1, on the other hand, can be easily restored on any kind of 3G S, even on ones never JB'n before, as Apple signs it still. (Please read the section “Addendum: Downgrading to iOS 4.1” for more info on how downgrading problems can easily be fixed.)

Inherent Image Quality Problems With iOS 4.3.x

As I've pointed out above, if video footage quality is of extreme importance to you, you won't want to use iOS 4.3.x (or iOS5/6, of course). iOS 4.x versions prior to 4.3 deliver way better footage if you do need to have live preview during shooting and also refocusing capabilities. iOS 4.3 can only deliver footage of the same quality (framerate, “clicking-less” operation) when not presenting live preview and focusing into infinite. Even if you frame your shot before shooting in the still mode (the video mode has exactly the same field of view as the still mode), not being able to focus to subjects close(r) to the iPhone means you can't have sharp video of subjects closer to the camera than, say, 1.5 meters.

If you do, however, want live view, it will simply introduce a lot of “clicking” (quick camera re-initalization) during shooting under low light. It'll only work (semi-)properly under good lighting.

Let me show you examples of this.

The YouTube video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3nu8AcRhlw shows how the video is recorded by my tweaked no-preview mode under bad light. As you can hear, there're absolutely no clicks. The video does have some, in general, 0.5-second-long pauses now and then at counter state 413, 486, 898, 1528, 2400, 2473, 2546, 2674, 2746, 2975, 3177, 3248, 3320, (and, after restarting) 48, 120 and 129.

The footage recorded with enabled preview on is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCgmzuqK2Eo . It's full of “clicks” (at position 293, 382, 394, 483, 600, 693, 816, 943, 1059, 1143, 1256 etc.) and has the framerate of 6.67 fps, while that of the no-preview version is a definitely smoother 9.47 fps.

Here are the videos shot under good light:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY8w7Ma5fV0 (no preview)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF7yMF6A86M (with preview)

As you can easily see, apart from an initial click, the enabled-preview version is definitely cleaner (more click-free) than the previous one shot under low light. It even produced better framerate (13.19 fps) than the disabled-preview version (12.16 fps).

All in all, if you do know you have bad lighting, don't use the enabled-preview mode. Either shoot in the stock VGA-resolution mode or, if you don't mind the lack of live view (because, say, you shoot from a tripod and previously align the camera) and the focus set to infinity, the disabled-preview mode.

How Do the Above Modes Compare to Pre-iOS4.3 Video Recording?

Here's how my yesterday's pre-iOS 4.3 tweak records the same 60 fps test footage under low light:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj8N1_Xs9fM

As you can see, the footage is absolutely flawless: no visible stuttering / pauses and the framerate is adequate (12.6 fps). It's definitely superior to even the disabled-preview mode of iOS 4.3, let alone the enabled one.

And this is the bright light one (again, under iOS 4.1):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9tpWEvwXiE

(12.7 fps)

Using the New, 4.3-specific Tweak

If you do want to stick with 4.3 (again, as has been proved above, you _really_ want to prefer 4.1 if you need the best possible image quality, unless you do need 4.3 for app compliance!), get the 4.3-specific version from my Cydia repo. The name is “3GS HiResVid (iOS4.3)” (direct link to the downloadable DEB file: http://www.winmobiletech.com/cy/deb...videocameraenhancerios43_1.0_iphoneos-arm.deb ):

43cydia.jpeg

Note the version I've released yesterday for iOS versions prior to 4.3 is listed directly beneath the new tweak.

This is the detailed view in Cydia:

43cydiadetail.jpeg

Using the tweak is the same as with my previous releases. Here, there are three elements in the left picker, all corresponding to the three available video modes. Based on the above description, you'll now be able to properly select the right one best for the current subject lighting, distance etc. This is shown in the following screenshot:

43inapp.jpeg

For Programmers

Here's the source: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u.../iPhoneWideFoVCamcorderEnhancer -3gsiOS43.zip

Compared to the pre-4.3 version, these are the most important changes:

- three main modes, compared to two, making the code a bit longer

- while the location of CameraRollValidator.plist is the same as before (the file needs to be patched so that higher-resolution footage can not only be saved, but also be played back in the Camera Roll), the main configuration file, now called AVCaptureSession.plist (as opposed to AVCapture.plist), has been introduced to /System/Library/Frameworks/AVFoundation.framework/N88/; that is, to an entirely different directory. (This file will, then, be later further relocated in both iOS5 (to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MediaToolbox.framework/N88) and iOS6 (/System/Library/Frameworks/MediaToolbox.framework/N88)) The structure of this file is pretty much the same as that of later iOS versions (and is different from the pre-iOS4.3 one).

- because of the two different directories needing o+w, the preinst file has four commands: two o+w grants for the encompassing directories and two change-owner commands for the actual plists.

- I need to directly overwrite the Preview values under AVCaptureSessionPresetHigh > LiveSourceOptions > Preview. iOS4.3.x seems to be the only version where there's absolutely no live preview if the dimensions here aren't the same as those under Capture. In all other iOS versions, they can stay at their original value – and this is why I don't modify them in any of my other tweakers.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Released the source codes and streamlined the package name (now, it's "3GS VidCam AA (iOS5)") / description for my iOS5-only iPhone 3GS antialiasing tool as well.

Cydia list:

3gs-50-AA-cydialist.jpeg

(as you can see, the two iOS4-specific versions are directly above it in the screenshot, while the universal, multi-model, iOS6+-only "VidCam WideAngle Tweak" also supporting the AA mode of the 3G S is above the three of them)

Detailed description:

3gs-50-AA-cydiadetail.jpeg

Full source code: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...s/iPhoneWideFoVCamcorderEnhancer -3gsiOS5.zip

NOTE: as I've explained previously, under iOS5 and 6, on the iPhone 3G S it's not possible to oversample the sensor, unlike under iOS4. The only hack worth doing is exporting the originally VGA-sized sensor output at a considerably higher resolution, which results in somewhat better results - this is what my tweak does. Don't forget that doing this incurs a framerate decrease (from 30 to approximately 23). That is, only use this export mode if you're shooting little movement and not, say, shooting sports events.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
I've posted a long article on my hacking attempts on the iPhone 4S, which, as was easy to predict based on Apple's track record of removing features from "old" hardware, didn't get back 60p recording support as of iOS7.

Unfortunately, the 4S is not hackable.

It's at https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18664546/

AndyAndoo

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2012
New York City
I've read through this thread beginning in April: from what I've gathered, shooting with all three bullet points below is not possible(?). If it is possible: Please specify the iphone model and iOS requirements.
- high resolution
- high (nominal 30 fps) framerate
- wide (non-narrow) field-of-view.

To my understanding, VGA is the highest resolution achievable when achieving the second and third bullet points: 30fps and wide FOV. Do I have this correct?
If so, please explain how to achieve VGA mode for a JB'n iPhone 4S running iOS 6.1:
I began going about replacing the plist as outlined here: http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/87/vastly-enhancing-video-camera-iphone-4s-–-part-i , but was stopped when I could not locate the MediaToolbox.framework folder in the /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MediaToolbox.framework/N94/AVCaptureSession.plist chain. Perhaps Apple has changed the folder directory of the plist?
Thank you!
UPDATE: The location of the plist file is /System/Library/Frameworks/MediaToolbox.framework/N94/AVCaptureSession.plist
BUT I've renamed your VGA plist and overwritten the plist file but the video camera does not work. It stays stuck on the closed aperture image.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.