Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
hey all,

need to share this with you lot.

For the past 5 months, I've been looking to move. I am situated in Athens, Greece. Having checked out more than 60 apartments, I finally found one, ground floor, 50sqm, 2008, brand new, nicely done, amazing price, in contrast to what derelicts I've witnessed in central athens, acropoli, plaka, monastiraki, psyri, koukaki, and the overpriced ones in gkazi, irodou attikou (high end central athens), voula, glyfada (high end southern suburbs). Anyway, after initially declining the house, then changing my mind 10 hours later, I book it no hassle at all. The next morning I've already arranged an appointment with the electrician for some stuff, and while waiting for him, I head to the basement garage to look for the storage room that comes with the flat. I have a key and no idea which door. So I start trying to burglarise one by accident. I try a couple of doors and then, I raise my head...

my garage is home to a Lamborghini.

so going berserk, I gawkingly take the pic.
Deciding to spot that storage room with a grin on my face, I head to the other side of the garage.

well..I guess TWO does sound better. Someone in the building has two Lamborghinis.

True Story!

Attachments

• IMG_1056.jpg
    IMG_1056.jpg
    468.5 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_2385.jpg
    IMG_2385.jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
lolwut?

Today isn't April 1st, homie.

indeed

Take a photo with a piece of paper with Macrumors and your account name on it.

you got it, though trying to be careful not getting caught, I went overcautious with my tiny letters too..as if they were bigger, they would spot me...

Sell one and feed the poor. then you'll have my attention.

better read my original post. PLUR
--
on a side note, I might try a guerrilla photo op tomorrow for this week's photo contest "machines", though I am scared of getting spotted, so I haven't decided yet

edit
I got these photos with my phone in portrait orientation, but for some reason when uploaded here, it reorients them. I rotated them an re-uploaded them, but no luck
MODS help please

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 169
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Interesting post, and yes, an intriguing discovery (or a thought-provoking pair of matched discoveries? For motor-car lovers a discovery perhaps akin to tripping over Tutankhamen's grave?)

Hm. However.

Greece, is, to put it mildly, going through what might be described as somewhat troubling times (economic, financial, social, political, cultural, etc. etc). I would have some slight reservations over the actual provenance of this apartment.

Quite apart from anything else, it is, according to your description, a ground floor apartment, which, for me, personally, is always an absolute no-no. However, that is a matter of personal choice.

However, apart from that, you write of a lovely 'city centre' apartment (the comparison with some of the other grotty numbers you were shown is probably quite striking: I've had similar experiences, and what landlords, or letting agents, sometimes choose to offer, under the mistaken - if avaricious and depressingly correct belief - as a place fit to be called a human dwelling space can be something of an eye-opener), having already viewed what you yourself have described as 'more than 60' derelict, 'overpriced', or otherwise undesirable, and doubtless less than agreeable, apartments.

So, this apartment is wonderfully located , right in the 'city centre', is 'brand new', comes at 'an amazing price', is 'nicely done'. In addition, there appears to be absolutely no difficulty making an offer and having it accepted. Likewise, there appears to be little in the way of complicated bureaucratic negotiations or procedures to be done (in a country notorious for its labyrinthine bureaucratic traditions) in order to gain possession of this dream dwelling, and being given a key.

On top of all of that, upon further exploration, a veritable treasure is found: There are two exquisite gems of motor-cars, perfectly cloned twins, called Lamborghini, sitting quietly in the - now, yours - basement garage.

In your shoes, I would confess to a - just the smallest, most minute, a simple soupçon - degree of disquiet.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

Interesting post, and yes, an intriguing discovery (or a thought-provoking pair of matched discoveries? For motor-car lovers a discovery perhaps akin to tripping over Tutankhamen's grave?)

Hm. However.

Greece, is, to put it mildly, going through what might be described as somewhat troubling times (economic, financial, social, political, cultural, etc. etc). I would have some slight reservations over the actual provenance of this apartment.

Quite apart from anything else, a ground floor apartment for me, personally, is always an absolute no-no.

However, apart from that, you write of a lovely 'city centre' apartment (the comparison with some of the other grotty numbers you were shown is probably quite striking: I've had similar experiences, and what landlords, or letting agents, sometimes choose to offer, under the mistaken - if avaricious and depressingly correct belief - as a place fit to be called a human dwelling space can be something of an eye-opener), having already viewed what you yourself have described as 'more than 60' derelict, 'overpriced', or otherwise undesirable, and doubtless less than agreeable, apartments.

So, this apartment is wonderfully located , right in the 'city centre', is 'brand new', comes at 'an amazing price', is 'nicely done'. In addition, there appears to be absolutely no difficulty making an offer and having it accepted. Likewise, there appears to be little in the way of complicated bureaucratic negotiations or procedures to be done (in a country notorious for its labyrinthine bureaucratic traditions) in order to gain possession of this dream dwelling, and being given a key.

On top of all of that, upon further exploration, a veritable treasure is found: There are two exquisite gems of motor-cars, perfectly cloned twins, called Lamborghini, sitting quietly in the - now, yours - basement garage.

In your shoes, I would confess to a degree of disquiet.

Eyebrows raise then furrow as suspicion sets in...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Eyebrows raise then furrow as suspicion sets in...

Yes, indeed. Hm.

Raised eyebrow, furrowed forehead, and pursed lips......they are all prompted by the original post of the OP.

In the spirit of entirely objective and utterly detached archival and bureaucratic research, this is one apartment where I am of the view that questions about previous occupants or owners might yield rewarding, or perhaps, revealing, dividends.

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently

Hm. However.

Quite apart from anything else, it is, according to your description, a ground floor apartment, which, for me, personally, is always an absolute no-no. However, that is a matter of personal choice.

In your shoes, I would confess to a - just the smallest, most minute, a simple soupçon - degree of disquiet.

Nice post!!

Usually I am the one connecting weird dots and bringing stories up...

In any case, some points

-Amazing price means exactly within my price range, there was no need to make any counteroffers, but remember, at first I declined the offer (because of it being on the ground floor). Also, the landlord had already lowered the lease from the previous owner. I was shown both the previous validated agreements.

-Ground floor - not my first choice as well but this is a suburb. Quiet, green and spacious, not something you find easily in Athens. Of course I am at the front line of peril so I will be installing an alarm system.

-The owner of the flat does not live in the building, so no relation to the lamborghinis, unless he is a 3rd degree relative or something. It remains to be seen.

-Renting a flat in Athens has always been hassle free. This is the 4th apartment I rent. Now the procedure has changed from submitting the agreement to the local IRS branch, to submitting it electronically. All these done by the owner though.

-In light of the current situation in Greece, I hardly believe the owner of the Lamborghinis takes any one of them out for a spin, in fear of being targeted with anything available at hand.

-Speaking of said owner, I have already theorized him being a cartel boss, an export conglomerate partner or a media mogul. In all fairness, the building while relatively new, is far from being flashy or immodest. Definitely keeping a low profile.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Fascinating read. Curiouser and curiouser.

Let us take a closer look at this. Forensically.

'The meaning of 'amazing price' as defined by you is clear enough, and I have no quarrel with it.

Ground floor: Okay, you have acknowledged the issues that arise from this, and you are aware of the possible drawbacks. An installed alarm sounds like a good idea. And congratulations on obtaining a nicely furnished apartment that is 'quiet, green and spacious'......

However.......further questions remain, and thus, may need to be.......asked.

So, 'the landlord had already lowered the lease from the previous owner'? Really? And are the widely broadcast economic woes that Greece is known to be currently enduring the sole possible reason why this might be so?

However, the most interesting sentence in your post reads as follows: "the owner does not live in the building, so no relation to the Lamborghinis...."

Now, I am at something of a loss here.

Firstly, the section which reads 'the owner does not live in the building' is clear enough, (might one ask why?) and, indeed, equally clear is the fact that you would have been unable to conclude a rental agreement if he did still actually reside there, but......but. But, I fail entirely to see how the fact that the owner does not live in the apartment relates to the second part of your sentence. How do you know he has 'no relation to the Lamborghinis?' You know, the one does not necessarily lead to the other.

Therefore, my queries are something along the lines as follows: Does he (the owner of the apartment) own them (the pair of orphaned Lamborghinis)? More to the point, does he own them legitimately? If he doesn't own them, who does? And why have they been left behind by whoever owns them? Quite candidly, even if you do your packing in a hurry, leaving two Lamborghinis behind (inadvertently, so to speak) strikes me as a somewhat strange oversight.

Your observations about how the current economic climate in Greece may preclude anybody from taking a Lamborghini out for a spin for fear of a negative reaction is fair enough, but it occurs to me that this may not be the only reason they are kept, tucked up so quietly in your garage.

Personally, I would be a bit more concerned about questions such as who owns them, whether such possession is entirely legitimate, and what on earth they are doing in your garage. Indeed, in the circumstances, subjecting the Lamborghinis to the uncertain temper of the rioting masses might well be the least of the concerns of the current owner......

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Holy cow!:eek:

This does sounds suspicious. I would contact the person who you signed the lease with and ask about the cars.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
No one has suggested yet to become buddies with the potentially tax evading owner :D

I'll be your buddy if I ever visit that area =p

In the U.S., you don't own the vehicle unless you have the "title" paperwork. Not sure how it works in Greece, maybe check the glove compartment for paperwork? (It's unlikely the title will be there but you might find out who the owner is.)

Do you even have the keys?

If the cars are real you hit the jackpot, unless the owner come looking for you.

Just don't crash them, as most people don't know how to drive a high powered vehicle. Here's lambo winner crashed it hours later:
http://www.gtspirit.com/2011/12/21/...ner-crashes-prize-lamborghini-lp640-roadster/

Last edited:

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
hey all,...... I have a key and no idea which door. So I start trying to burglarise one by accident. I try a couple of doors and then, I raise my head...

my garage is home to a Lamborghini.

True Story!

"YOUR" garage by the same token that thieves like to say "Possession is 9/10 of the law" or some such crap?

Calling it. BS flag is raised, OP.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
I wonder how much it would cost to ship a Lambo to the US! I mean, you don't need both, right? :D

Now, the bigger question. Who buys two matching Lamborghinis?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
"YOUR" garage by the same token that thieves like to say "Possession is 9/10 of the law" or some such crap?

My thoughts exactly. A big, fat, flapping red flag has been hoisted, OP. Heed it.

OP, thoughts of 'becoming buddies' with the doubtless dubious owner, are, candidly, delusional.

While you do not need to give answers to me to the questions I asked above, I do strongly recommend that you consider asking them of yourself.

Very well, then. Do you intend to inform the letting agent of your somewhat bizarre find? Or, maybe, pose a few faux-clueless questions to the owner ('eh, I was thinking of moving my car into the garage space - do you think you could possibly move yours out?')

Anyone who thinks you have 'hit the jackpot' needs their head examined. I think you could well be in a somewhat compromising situation, if not in a possibly downright dangerous one.

And what will you say if the police , or the tax police, (or a group of muscular, and maybe, menacing men) arrive and ask questions about the flat, its owner, and sundry other matters, and wonder then, about the orphaned Lamborghinis in the basement garage. "Eh, I just found them there."

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
I'll be your buddy if I ever visit that area =p

In the U.S., you don't own the vehicle unless you have the "title" paperwork. Not sure how it works in Greece, maybe check the glove compartment for paperwork? (It's unlikely the title will be there but you might find out who the owner is.)

Do you even have the keys?

If the cars are real you hit the jackpot, unless the owner come looking for you.

Just don't crash them, as most people don't know how to drive a high powered vehicle. Here's lambo winner crashed it hours later:
http://www.gtspirit.com/2011/12/21/...ner-crashes-prize-lamborghini-lp640-roadster/

I doubt the owner would ever trust anyone with those cars.

if you say so

My thoughts exactly. A big, fat, flapping red flag has been hoisted, OP. Heed it.

if you say so

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently

And what will you say if the police , or the tax police, (or a group of muscular, and maybe, menacing men) arrive and ask questions about the flat, its owner, and sundry other matters, and wonder then, about the orphaned Lamborghinis in the basement garage. "Eh, I just found them there."

who said they're orphaned?

the garage is not exclusive, the building has 7 more apartments. way to jump to conclusions

I don't have to answer for them. my apartment doesn't even come with a parking space, only the storage room in said underground garage.

clear?

Last edited:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
who said they're orphaned?

the garage is not exclusive, the building has 7 more apartments. way to jump to conclusions

I don't have to answer for them. my apartment doesn't even come with a parking space, only the storage room in said underground garage.

clear?

In the first post, you said: "my garage is home to a Lamborghini."

Now you are saying it's someone else's garage in the building that houses your apartment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.