Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last year, Apple executive Phil Schiller tweeted a link to a research report that noted significant growth in mobile malware, particularly on Android. The report found that Android accounted for 79 percent of mobile threats, with just 0.7 percent attacking iOS.

Today, Schiller followed up, tweeting a link to Cisco's 2014 Annual Security Report. The report, which came out late last week, notes that while overall vulnerabilities are highest since tracking began in 2000, 99 percent of all mobile malware targeted Android devices -- leaving iOS devices relatively unscathed thanks to Apple's controlling mobile ecosystem.

The report does note that many mobile users encounter phishing or other social engineering websites, something that Apple's security protocols won't necessarily protect users from.
Not all mobile malware is designed to target specific devices, however. Many encounters involve phishing, likejacking, or other social engineering ruses, or forcible redirects to websites other than expected. An analysis of user agents by Cisco TRAC/SIO reveals that Android users, at 71 percent, have the highest encounter rates with all forms of web-delivered malware, followed by Apple iPhone users with 14 percent of all web malware encounters.
ciscoresearch.png
Cisco 2014 Security Report http://t.co/rd6M6yUXnU - Philip Schiller (@pschiller) January 21, 2014
Other than that specific mention of social engineering -- and that spam messages mention Apple Gift Cards -- the Cisco report does not mention Apple or the Mac or iOS at all. The tweet is likely part of a larger push by Apple to share more favorable third-party reports about the company and its products.

Article Link: Phil Schiller Tweets Link to Another Security Report Criticizing Android

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Security through obscurity! The only reason iOS isn't targeted is because it's such a small market share.

OH WAIT! That argument doesn't work any more for Apple devices.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
When you're cocky like that, you have way more pressure to not have security flaws yourself, otherwise everyone's going to mock the irony, like that Tim Cook "Double down on secrecy" thing, but even worse. I'm not sure it's worth taking the risk of this firing back.

kmoreau48

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2012
Since when do we compare operating system versus hardware? Android should be compare to iOS. iPhones, iPads and iPods should all be in the same category.

Bare

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
Sure, a little more customization would be nice, but I'm okay with not having to worry about malware and the like.

AppleFan115

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
"Aren't you glad you use an Apple device? I am." - Phil Schiller

"This is tremendous news. This would not be possible without Jony's incredible design team and Craig's amazing engineering team." - Tim Cook

"Huh?" - Jony Ive

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
When you're cocky like that, you have way more pressure to not have security flaws yourself, otherwise everyone's going to mock the irony, like that Tim Cook "Double down on secrecy" thing, but even worse. I'm not sure it's worth taking the risk of this firing back.

i think its a statement of an overly cocky team that are flat footed

but most of all its embarrassing. whats the end goal here? are most of his followers perspective phone buyers in doubt?

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
Oh but, "the walled garden is a horrible approach" "Android is sooo much better because it's open" "I just HAVE to jailbreak my device" "When will the next iOS 7 Jailbreak be available"

Blah, blah, blah.

Sometimes it's good to play along.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
i think its a statement of an overly cocky team that are flat footed

but most of all its embarrassing. whats the end goal here? are most of his followers perspective phone buyers in doubt?

All he did was post the link to the report. What is wrong with that? He didn't even say anything about it. Maybe he thought the results of the report were bad. Just because you interpret cockiness doesn't mean that's what was intended (although it might have been).

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
What kind of malware is on an iPhone that isn't jailbroken?

Pretty much "web malware" only, no actual "traditional" malware.

The report says Android attracts 99% of regular mobile malware, with the majority of the remaining percent being Java Trojans.

"Web malware", the kind the iPhone does get, includes phising, likejacking (liking things on Facebook without your consent), or unexpected redirects. So they revolve more around fooling the user rather than exploiting a technical security flaw in the mobile platform.

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
The OS itself is a malware. Or even a flashlight apps needs to access phonebook, messages, internet connection, photos, phone number, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.