Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
All he did was post the link to the report. What is wrong with that? He didn't even say anything about it. Maybe he thought the results of the report were bad. Just because you interpret cockiness doesn't mean that's what was intended (although it might have been).

has he posted the link to the results of that new consumer survey?

has he posted the links to the reports about people having issues with 2011 mbp?

has he posted the links to threads about people complaining about ios7 battery life or the autodownload theft of space etc etc?

lets just bypass the game where we act like we dont know what he is doing here. just concentrate on making apple products the best on the market

btw i agree with him on the news about the dolphins in japan. hopefully an influential person like him can make a difference.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
The OS itself is a malware. Or even a flashlight apps needs to access phonebook, messages, internet connection, photos, phone number, etc.
I do appreciate not questioning and worrying over what all an app is going to have access to on iOS.

It needs access to what? Why?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
has he posted the link to the results of that new consumer survey?

has he posted the links to the reports about people having issues with 2011 mbp?

has he posted the links to threads about people complaining about ios7 battery life or the autodownload theft of space etc etc?

lets just bypass the game where we act like we dont know what he is doing here. just concentrate on making apple products the best on the market

btw i agree with him on the news about the dolphins in japan. hopefully an influential person like him can make a difference.

:confused: I'm not sure you understand how marketing works...

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Mobile Safari usage numbers are high because it is always reloading tabs, thus artificially skewing the numbers.

I can understand Apple wants to save money by including less RAM in their devices, but it would be nice if they at least swapped the tabs' contents to a temp file for faster reloading.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Been using Android since 2009, so has the missus. Neither of us know one person with an android device that has had any encounter with malware.

People that download .apk files from unknown sources - aka those trying to find pirated versions of paid apps are those likely to be at risk. To do this you have to activate a hidden menu and then tick a box saying "Allow APK's from unknown sources" - So not what the majority will be doing.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Since when do we compare operating system versus hardware? Android should be compare to iOS. iPhones, iPads and iPods should all be in the same category.

But, but, how else are article writers going to provide sensationalized trash without using illogical references? It's called "ICT" Internet Communication Technique. Most everything you read on the internet is written using ICT.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Mobile Safari usage numbers are high because it is always reloading tabs, thus artificially skewing the numbers.

Nope. Net Market Share counts unique visits.

But, but, how else are article writers going to provide sensationalized trash without using illogical references? It's called "ICT" Internet Communication Technique. Most everything you read on the internet is written using ICT.

Or.. you didn't bother to read what the graph was actually reporting and just jumped to conclusions.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Oh but, "the walled garden is a horrible approach" "Android is sooo much better because it's open" "I just HAVE to jailbreak my device" "When will the next iOS 7 Jailbreak be available"

Blah, blah, blah.

Sometimes it's good to play along.

Do you want to live as you do, walk along the streets, perhaps drive a car. Work on your car with tools, perhaps have a hobby with some danger, be free, and take the risk of things going bad, as a price worth paying.

Or, we can lock you in a zoo.
A nice soft padded area to roam in, food delivered, anything sharp or perhaps dangerous removed from your reach.

You are totally protect and safe for all of your life.

Nice?

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
Remember the good old days when Apple didn't need to knock the competition?

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Been using Android since 2009, so has the missus. Neither of us know one person with an android device that has had any encounter with malware.

People that download .apk files from unknown sources - aka those trying to find pirated versions of paid apps are those likely to be at risk. To do this you have to activate a hidden menu and then tick a box saying "Allow APK's from unknown sources" - So not what the majority will be doing.

You really don't know? There have been a number of apps you could have downloaded from Google play that are on there until someone finds them and tells Google. That can be months. This is not like Windows 98 and XP when they were attacking you system. This malware monitors you secretly. The less you suspect the better. I just tell my friends to do any banking or purchasing from a computer because unless the scan Android often and don't download apps, it's just not safe.

jaymzuk

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2012
Is there any reason why Android is lumped all under one banner, yet iPhone and iPad are called out separately?

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
You really don't know? There have been a number of apps you could have downloaded from Google play that are on there until someone finds them and tells Google. That can be months. This is not like Windows 98 and XP when they were attacking you system. This malware monitors you secretly. The less you suspect the better. I just tell my friends to do any banking or purchasing from a computer because unless the scan Android often and don't download apps, it's just not safe.

Oh I do know. I check how many people have downloaded the app, the reviews and what permissions the app requires. Easy.

WhackyNinja

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Kissimmee, FL
Remember the good old days when Apple didn't need to knock the competition?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

6348715.jpg

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008

thank you for mentioning this. i feel that quite a number of posters here are under the impression that the moment you start using ANdroid, some magical malware attacks your device. this is far from truth.

- the user has to take certain steps to allow installations from unofficial sources
THEN
- the user has to install pirated/hacked apk files on their device.

in addition, users can see what permission each app needs. i'm not sure if it's possible on ios. and those with root-ed android phone, can use firewall and block internet access.

F apple FE

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2013
Italy
Hey thanks for the tip Phil! I was going to buy an iPhone but I saw on that report that Windows Phones are way more secure.

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
Wake me up when the iPhone has a larger screen...

Yea, me too.... :D

But on another note more to the thread, targeted does not necessarily mean successful.

I am a Apple user, MacPro, Mac Mini, 2 13" MacBook Airs in the house along with an old macBook Pro. We also have 2 or 3 iPod and 3 iPads; so I'm definitely not a troll.

In my house we also have 3 android phones.
As long as you don't go downloading stuff from places you shouldn't there are no real worries. If you turn on "Allow Unknown Sources" and turn off "Verify apps" then you are asking for malware.

The ecosystem is closed on Android, until you open it. There is nothing to prevent the fool from being a fool. On an iPhone, the fool is prevented from being a fool by design. But that restriction also cripples those that know what they are doing.

It's a specious argument to argue about malware, etc on either platform.
If you jailbreak an iPhone, you open yourself up to the same potential as turning off safeguards in Android.

Both OS's are much better than Windows and are UN*X variants.
Android 4.3 and beyond sets the SE Linux to to "Enforcing".
Samsung has won certification by the NSA with help from General Dynmics on the Galaxy S3 and Galaxy S4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.