Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Some people bring new meaning to the word "moron".

That's a pretty sick thing to do aswell. Hoaxing something like that is going to get that guy a long time in prison and I can't think of any logical reason why anyone would do something like that.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Lost his job, got kicked out of his apartment, had his life in the back of the truck and nowhere to go - maybe (just a guess).

or

He was on the tail end of a drug binge. :(

Chisholm

macrumors regular
May 31, 2002
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Threat of Explosives Spurs Downtown Closures

Police officers investigate a rental truck downtown driven by a man who said he wanted to talk with President Bush. (Juana Arias - The Washington Post)

By David Fahrenthold and Monte Reel
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, November 13, 2002; 1:09 PM

A man who told police his rental truck was full of explosives snarled downtown traffic, forced the closing of a Metro station and put about 7,000 Agriculture Department workers on the street this morning.

But the threat turned out to be a hoax and traffic that slowed to a crawl in the heart of the morning rush was moving normally by 11 a.m.

The incident began shortly after 8 a.m. when a man driving a Budget Rent A Car box truck stopped the vehicle near the intersection of 12th Street and Independence Avenue SW, Metropolitan Police Commander Thomas E. McGuire said. The man first demanded to see the president and then indicated to police that his truck was filled with explosives. D.C. Fire Deparment spokesman Alan Etter said that a search of the truck found no explosives this morning.

Anthony Stebbins, 36, a custodian at the Department of Agriculture was cleaning outside the building shortly before 8:30 this morning when he saw a man driving the truck get out of the vehicle and stop traffic.

"The guy just got out of the truck and I thought maybe he was a police officer the way he was stopping traffic," Stebbins said.

The man who made the threat was strapped to a stretcher and taken to a hospital for physical and psychological observation, McGuire said. "I understand he was talkative and agitated somewhat" while in custody, he said.

Police closed off a section of Independence Avenue and many surrounding streets and all traffic was stopped on the 14th Street Bridge, causing massive backups downtown and into Northern Virginia. The Smithsonian Metro station was closed for about two hours because of its proximity to the Agriculture buildings. A police helicopter circled low overhead while some 7,000 workers from three Agriculture Department buildings milled about.

Robert Molleur, who works for the USDA, said that about 8:45 a.m., security officials told everyone on the Independence Avenue side of the building to evacuate. Later the entire building was evacuated. "We practice that all the time, so it went really well," Molleur said.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Thanks for the posting. What a moron. Definitely needs a straight jacket and a little padded room. Hey wait a minute. Why does he get to play with a straight jacket and a padded room and I can't. That's just not fair. Guess I'm off to rent a moving van.;)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by MacBandit
Somebody please post the article. I have not and will not have registered with the Washington Post.

Sorry, didn't know it required signing up, I did it so long ago. I'll make sure not to let it happen again.

D

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Sorry, didn't know it required signing up, I did it so long ago. I'll make sure not to let it happen again.

Yeah, I know what you mean, it took ages, at least a minute or 2, can't be worth it for some people ;)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I'm suprised it didn't get more national coverage, guess Iraq, election, & DNC Convention was more important. Post 9/11 or probably no coverage at all. Mental illness a difficult situation, hope gets the care he needs!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.