Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bare

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
"Blah blah 'analyst prediction' blah blah"

Hey, it's a rumors site. I just wish I could believe rumors of this larger iPhone arriving earlier than September because the sooner, the better, IMO.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Thank god, my hands have been growing uncontrollably. It's time for a bigger phone. /s

In all honesty, I'll just try and see how it fits. My wife already complains from the 4s to the 5s that she can't reach the top left corner easily anymore. And that's where a lot of apps' back button is. On Android, with a hardware back button, it makes more sense.

So just swipe back from the edge. I believe that is the biggest tip off from Apple themselves that bigger screens are coming.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
I don't think a new resolution is that much of a big deal, developer-wise. I recall a pretty painless transition when the Retina graphics had to be made, and when the iPhone 5 was released. At least nowadays they don't have non-Retina graphics having to work in tandem with a Retina version to worry about. Yes, there'd be some annoying display fragmentation if this was released in the past, but we're already quickly moving towards only two iPhone app resolutions when this one will be released: iPhone 5/s/c and 6. 4s will surely be discontinued when 6 is out.

BackseatJuice

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2013
I'll believe it when I see it. This would be a massive issue for app developers.

I'll wait until the iPhone 6s releases. Gives Apple time to perfect the iPhone and give app developers time to bring their apps up to date.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
I'll believe it when I see it. This would be a massive issue for app developers.

An adjustment for sure, but not a massive problem. Imagine trying to develop for all the Android handsets out there with screen size being just one in a hundred variables to consider when optimising your software.

I'd hope the developers would see this as an opportunity to paint their best work on the most accommodating canvas. I can see the screen size staying locked in for a few years at least after this, so they're good to go.

bmunge

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Not if the resolution is @3x (1704x960).

Absolutely all apps would keep using the same dimensions, positions and AutoLayout constraint, except with a 3x multiplier to transform points to pixels.

All developers would have to do to "optimize for iPhone 6" would be to add @3x.png assets to their project, and Xcode automatically handles the rest.

In the mean time @2x assets displayed on a @3x display would look better than @1x assets looked on the iPhone 4 display when it was released, and we'd have no letterboxing like initially with the iPhone 5.

I don't know what's the likeliness from a economical/manufacturing perspective, but from a developer's perspective that'd be the most elegant way to up the resolution without jumping to the total overkill that is @4x (2272x1280).

Ah interested, I didn't consider a 3x approach. That might work.

tonytiger13

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
That's exactly the reason why Apple silently introduced that swipe-back-gesture some time ago. Believe me, they will certainly justify the bigger screen with software tweaks like that at the coming press event. ;)

It's true. I'd like more developers to include that feature and more software tweaks are welcome to help with this types of issues. I can't swipe back while I'm looking at Photos (photo swiping), or in Pandora (3rd party), or tracking a friend on Find My Friends (Map scrolling), but it's certainly handy in the places it's already integrated.

----------

So just swipe back from the edge. I believe that is the biggest tip off from Apple themselves that bigger screens are coming.

See above. It's a great feature, that's for sure. But when it doesn't work everywhere, it does get annoying. Granted, I get used to it quick and know which ones I can or cannot do it in.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL

Not really, Apple has made it VERY clear to developers to begin using the developer kit for sizing apps since the introduction of the iPhone 5. They have had multiple sources in their documents saying NOT to hardcode elements in relation to the screen.

Apple doesn't just want a bigger iPhone, they want apps for all the screen sizes in iWatches, Apple TVs, and iOS in the car.

If you're developing for Apple and screen size is still bothering you, then you're doing a bad job.

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
The size of the Moto X in my opinion is perfect. I hope Apple releases an iPhone of that size.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Looking forward to iPhone 6. I hope they keep the bezel as thin as possible so that it still fits easily in the hand.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London

Not really. It's not android and their millions of specs.

2-3 screen resolutions is not that bad. And if it get rid of the Chaff then all the better.

I am all for a bigger phone...BUT they need to keep the same size too. 4.8 is ok if they manage to keep in a compact package. 5.5 and bigger screens are a joke in a phone.

We spent the whole of the 90s and 00s getting phones smaller and smaller... now they are turning into beasts... where the hell do these people keep them?

And the actual specs for the phone would need to be the same...across the sizes processor / ram etc. But added battery life in the bigger models could be a be a draw.

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
i like it. my eyes are getting older, need a bigger display to do what I was probably doing no problem seven years back with initial screen size.

pear21

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Michigan
Please lose the home button or change the shape of it -- whatever it takes to utilize the most real estate without making the phone unnecessarily big.

If they could the form factor anything close to the Moto X, sign me up!!!

Exactly, this is what I have thought many times, I would like a larger screen but I dont need them to tack on all that extra screen size and still have those large bezels. But I don't think our dream will come true since getting rid of the home button will get rid of the touch id that they just recently implemented. They could get rid of some of the extra space at the top and move the speaker, but Apple wouldnt do that either because it would cause the top bezel to be shorter than the bottom one and won't be symmetrical. I love the size of the Moto X it has the perfect screen size and it really ins't any larger than the iPhone.

Also, if they do go with a large screen increase, they better do something with the interface, not just another row of icons or spread them apart. Change the interface and not just a few colors like they did with iOS 7.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007

It's really a non issue updating apps. What ever Apple does developers are going to be ready to update there apps.

I bet most developers will be extremely happy with what ever Apple does because it means more eyes for there apps.

I wonder what screen resolution we will see? 1704x960 (3x original res + widescreen)? 720p? 1080p?

I really doubt Apple is gonna go to some odd res. like 1704x960. I think they will end up with a 1080p display.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
about time, my Nexus 4 has 4.7 and its not much bigger than my iPhone 5

and booohoo poor devs, thats what they get paid for

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.