Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios_7_icon.jpg
Since iOS 7 was released in September, users have complained of frequent home screen and app crashes, resulting in a soft reboot of the system. According to an Apple representative that spoke to Mashable, a fix for the issue is in the works, with a software update to be released soon.
"We have a fix in an upcoming software update for a bug that can occasionally cause a home screen crash," Apple spokesperson Trudy Muller told Mashable.
Random iOS 7 reboots have been occurring for users since September, according to a threads on both the MacRumors forums and Apple's own Support Communities. During these system reboots, the iPhone screen goes black or white (depending on the color of the phone) for a short period of time before reloading. Based on the complaints, all iPhones running iOS 7, regardless of model, appear to be exhibiting problems.

The fix may possibly come bundled as part of iOS 7.1, which is currently in its fourth beta iteration. Developers received the latest seed of the operating system on Monday, but it is unknown when Apple plans to release iOS 7.1 to the public.

According to a report from BGR, a public launch of iOS 7.1 isn't expected until March, which could mean Apple plans to release a smaller iterative iOS 7.0.5 update in the meantime.

Article Link: Apple Planning Fix for iOS 7 Home Screen Crashes

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
I might be really lucky cause I have no crashes on either iPad 4, iPhone 5S and iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 is really slow though at times. It seems random.

ZOZO

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2013
Terrific. I was worried they weren't planning to fix iOS 7 home screen crashes.

/s

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Happened to me a couple of times on my iPhone 4S since iOS 7. Don't think it has happened on the iPad 2, though.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I might be really lucky cause I have no crashes on either iPad 4, iPhone 5S and iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 is really slow though at times. It seems random.

I get Safari crashes on my Air (though a lot less since I did a reset). Just got an iPhone 5S earlier this week and haven't had any crashes yet.

macnisse

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
"Based on the complaints, all iPhones running iOS 7, regardless of model, appear to be exhibiting problems."

No kidding, all iphones w ios7?! Needless to say, Im still enjoying my iphone5 with jb ios6! Tend to keep it that way for a while :)

clcnyc

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
NYC
It happens on my iPad at least 6x a day. Makes me nuts. Both the iPad Air and the one before it. Hope this fixes on all devices.

Last edited:

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
Never encountered a home screen crash but I can guarantee IOS 7 Safari will quit randomly at least ten times a day on my Air.

It's the most unreliable browser experience I have ever had on an Apple product, and that includes IE.

How about some hotfixing of that!

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
My springboard nearly ALWAYS crashes when I flick through my music library via the music app at speed (doesn't occur via CC or the lockscreen). I need to pause the music & then go through & find the song I want.

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Been driving me crazy too on my 5S. Didn't know it was a thing, I was going to take it in. Guess that plan's off.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
Now the dilemma, upgrade to 7.1 to fix the resprings and lose the jailbreak or not.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
In my experience (I have an iPad Air and iPhone 4s) the soft reboot happens only to my iPad. Usually when it seems to stutter a bit or run low on memory.

My old trusty iPhone 4s may be slower at times, but has never done this. It's even hardly crash on Safari.

I guess it's the 64bit part? More bit = more problem, i guess? :eek:

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
My only issue with iOS 7 at present is I listen to half hour podcasts / comedy shows but whenever I lock my phone for a while then go back to it the phone forgets where I've paused it and goes back to the start.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.