Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
While I've run into this crash a couple of times, the one that annoys me more is that waking a Bluetooth keyboard will intermittently hard-freeze the entire phone, requiring me to hold Power and Home until it reboots.

Fix please, Apple! :)

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
Been driving me crazy too on my 5S. Didn't know it was a thing, I was going to take it in. Guess that plan's off.

Yeah super annoying my 5S does it a lot - my 5 barely ever did it.
When does it happen for you, mine mainly happens when I go into multi-tasking menu or come out of it - it also seems to happen a fair amount when I open snapchat for some weird reason :p

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
iOS7 is Apple's Vista

what a buggy piece of crap it is. Apps crash ALL the time now and the UI is awful. Why is it I deactivate notifications, they automatically get turned back on when an app updates itself? Why can't I go directly to the related notification/message from the lock screen? Don't even get me started on how annoyingly "broken" iTunes is now (Song information/screenshot is always 2 songs behind when it wakes from sleep, sometimes skips tracks even though the lock screen is on, etc.)....

euvnairb

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Goleta, CA
I'm not sure if this is an iOS or an iTunes issue but I wish they would fix the syncing issues with ios devices and itunes! My phone's music library has been wiped clean and my ipad has gaping issues where I have ghost songs. It's such a pain in the ass to deal with and I've looked all over for a solution and nothing has worked. I'm pissed because I have no portable music. ahhh! :mad:

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
This will be a nice update for those with the restart issue.

----------

what a buggy piece of crap it is. Apps crash ALL the time now and the UI is awful. Why is it I deactivate notifications, they automatically get turned back on when an app updates itself? Why can't I go directly to the related notification/message from the lock screen? Don't even get me started on how annoyingly "broken" iTunes is now (Song information/screenshot is always 2 songs behind when it wakes from sleep, sometimes skips tracks even though the lock screen is on, etc.)....

Really. How many people are have these same issues with iTunes?

Curious to know what iPhone version you have.

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
Good, but you know what? There's no excuse why this has problem has been going on for over four months without even a response from Apple.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
In my experience (I have an iPad Air and iPhone 4s) the soft reboot happens only to my iPad. Usually when it seems to stutter a bit or run low on memory.

My old trusty iPhone 4s may be slower at times, but has never done this. It's even hardly crash on Safari.

I guess it's the 64bit part? More bit = more problem, i guess? :eek:

Good question, I’ve wondered if it might have something to do with that architecture change.

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
yup lol. in the grand scheme of things, the design choice/direction of the icons is not that important.

Everything Apple has been trying to tell us in the past year begs to differ.

130822_AD_DesignedByApple.jpg.CROP.article568-large.jpg

Flood123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Living Stateside
For a company that prides themselves on stability, this seems like a pretty major issue. I am surprised that it has taken so long to address it.

joshellis625

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2008
Georgia
I haven't had any home screen crashes with iOS 7 on my 5 and none on the 5S I just switched to. Safari has crashed once or twice though. I welcome all fixes.

DanTheAppleMan

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2012
UK
They're planning a fix for a problem‽ Wow! I really, that is just...I mean talk about commitment to customer satisfaction! I did not see that coming, that is absolutely incredible...

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
And what did Tim Cook say -

“There’s always a large junk part of the market,” he says. “We’re not in the junk business.” The upper end of the industry justifies its higher prices with greater value. “There’s a segment of the market that really wants a product that does a lot for them, and I want to compete like crazy for those customers,” he says."

iOS 7 IS part of that junk market.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
And what did Tim Cook say -

“There’s always a large junk part of the market,” he says. “We’re not in the junk business.” The upper end of the industry justifies its higher prices with greater value. “There’s a segment of the market that really wants a product that does a lot for them, and I want to compete like crazy for those customers,” he says."

iOS 7 IS part of that junk market.

:rolleyes:

Way to take something way out of context to make a post with no value.

Anyway, back on topic, I have only had one crash so far on the home screen. No idea what caused it because I was back up and problem free in 30 seconds.

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
Why does it take Apple so long to respond to issues they were fully aware of

This has been going on for around 5 months now sop why not put out a statement earlier

Apple are so god dam slow at actually admitting they know there's a problem!!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This is pretty much resolved in the 7.1 beta (at least for me) They should just finish it and release to the people.....
Seems like that might be exactly what all of this might be in reference to.

----------

Why does it take Apple so long to respond to issues they were fully aware of

This has been going on for around 5 months now sop why not put out a statement earlier

Apple are so god dam slow at actually admitting they know there's a problem!!
How would a statement really help except perhaps expose the issue to even more people (given that the majority of iOS users don't even really pay attention to things of this nature)?

For a company like Apple, a statement of this nature, if one is made at all, is often made when they actually know they have a fix and will be releasing it soon.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
The soft-crash is not fixed in iOS 7.1 beta 4, I can tell you that. I hung up a call yesterday, and boom - black screen with Apple logo for about 5-7 seconds.

AnthonyHarris

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2009
Cambridge, England

It happens on my iPad mini with retina display. Very very annoying. Only a minor bug, but it really shouldn't be happening. I'm just pleased to know its not a hardware issue.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The soft-crash is not fixed in iOS 7.1 beta 4, I can tell you that. I hung up a call yesterday, and boom - black screen with Apple logo for about 5-7 seconds.
Or perhaps more that not all of the issues causing a crash like this have been addressed (yet).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.