Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

starxd

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2013
I really hope Apple doesn't follow the idiotic Android trend that only the biggest phone gets the best specs. I definitely want a bigger iPhone - around 4.7 - 5 inches would be perfect, but if it has downgraded specs from the so-called "phablet" iPhone, that's a deal killer for me. I seriously doubt Apple would be that stupid.

I also really question whether they will drop the 4 inch form factor. It is, after all, the best selling smart phone on the planet by far. This shows that while a lot of people prefer larger screens, not everyone does.

My hope is that they would put out two or three new iPhones, each with equivalent specs, with screens ranging from the current 4 inches, to 5 inches, and even bigger if they think there's demand for it.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
If the "phablet" model is going to be the flagship model, aka the fast one with the best camera, etc—then I can see a lot of people being upset.

There isn't much reason that Apple couldn't release both with a similar spec. The iPad Air and Mini Retina have similar specs. If the larger iPhone was only slightly faster, then that would be fine. But to force power users into a larger size just because they want the best iPhone? I don't think that will sit well with many people. Personally I don't mind, as I'm considering the larger version.

But if they end up pulling something like putting the 5S specs in the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6X or whatever the larger one is called uses a quad-core A8 and new fancy camera system—that's really going to tick people off who don't want a massive phone.

Another factor to consider is many people (mostly women I've talked to) don't want a bigger iPhone. So leaving out a 4" model completely isn't a good idea unless they can somehow significantly reduce the bezel. Some of these women (my wife included) are still upset that they don't offer 3.5". Last time I checked, the gender breakdown between smartphones was that women trended more toward iOS and men toward Android.

ronoman

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2007
iphone 6

Hopefully, they keep one version at the current size of the 5/5s. if people want a mega-iphone like the galaxy, get one of those.

Nikiaf

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
Anyone attempting to argue that a screen larger than 4" is too big has clearly never used anything other than an iPhone.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Cost?

will all the phones be priced the same, with the difference only being memory?

Seems like it should, but look at the cost of the iPad vs iPad mini.

room237

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Queens, NYC
lol @ 5c buhahaha @ Apple for thinking it would be so "amazing", bigger LOL at those who bought it... now give me a 4.7" or bigger iPhone please..

Waiting for those to complain and ask me to make a better product than Apple...

Waiting for those to complain that anything over 4" is too big...

Waiting for those to complain about my post in general...

Are you also waiting to graduate middle school?

freddiecable

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2003
Sweden
this is simply inevitable.

differentiation - period.

there is room for a small/slim 4", a + 4" and a + 5" iphone. this is what we have on laptops, soon ipads. why not iphones!? anything else would be stupid.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
"people familiar with the situation said"

Wow that's really reliable. :rolleyes:

Apple won't get rid of the 5C it will become their budget model.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Anyone attempting to argue that a screen larger than 4" is too big has clearly never used anything other than an iPhone.

Nope, they just have a different opinion then you.

Hopefully, they keep one version at the current size of the 5/5s. if people want a mega-iphone like the galaxy, get one of those.

They will probably keep selling the 5S. If you want the next gen iPhone, you will have to get a larger screen.

thepowerofnone

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
Apple by all means differentiate your phones by screen size but please GOD don't differentiate their performance by it: I don't WANT a +5" screen; I do want a flagship phone with all the same bells and whistles.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

Wrong.

While I wouldn't say "anything larger than 4" is too big", I will say I've used everything from the 3.5" iPhone to the 5" GS4 and my preference lies somewhere around the 4" iPhone and 4.5" Moto G (both devices have similar dimensions - the Moto G happens to fit a larger display in relatively the same footprint).

I wouldn't be upset if they made the larger device the flagship, but I also wouldn't be thrilled. I have a 5S and a 5C and one of them will stay with me regardless of what happens. That way I still have the 4" form factor.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
If the "phablet" model is going to be the flagship model, aka the fast one with the best camera, etc—then I can see a lot of people being upset.

There isn't much reason that Apple couldn't release both with a similar spec. The iPad Air and Mini Retina have similar specs. If the larger iPhone was only slightly faster, then that would be fine. But to force power users into a larger size just because they want the best iPhone? I don't think that will sit well with many people. Personally I don't mind, as I'm considering the larger version.

But if they end up pulling something like putting the 5S specs in the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6X or whatever the larger one is called uses a quad-core A8 and new fancy camera system—that's really going to tick people off who don't want a massive phone.

Another factor to consider is many people (mostly women I've talked to) don't want a bigger iPhone. So leaving out a 4" model completely isn't a good idea unless they can somehow significantly reduce the bezel. Some of these women (my wife included) are still upset that they don't offer 3.5". Last time I checked, the gender breakdown between smartphones was that women trended more toward iOS and men toward Android.

Agreed. I am hoping that they will keep 3 sizes with similar specs.

This iPhone 5c with iPhone 5 specs was silly in my book, and I couldn't understand why anyone would want last years tech in a cheaper shell.

redkamel

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2006
I really like the 5c, it is quite well made. I hope they don't end the line.

A larger screen is not needed. I didn't want the iPhone 5 screen size either. The current screen size is already awkward and easy to drop if carrying lots of things. (and no, I don't have small hands, and yes, I do have pockets but I also need to carry my phone in hand often)

A cellphone should be easily pocketable.

Bhatu

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2013
They may relaunch/recall iPhone 4 with 4'' screen - similar to current 5S.
and iPhone5 with 5'' screen.

Or
iPhone 6 with 4.5'' screen
iPhone 6c with 4'' screen
iPhone 6s with 5'' screen

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Wow 5" really? That's huge.

Depends on your handsize. Obviously jumping right from 3.5 inches to 5 would be a shock, but maybe now Apple has gotten people used to 4 inches it'll go down better with the people who are on the fence about bigger iPhones.

There still seems to be a stereotype that any phone even slightly bigger than an iPhone is a Tablet.

Google-Nexus-5-vs-Apple-iPhone-5s-001.jpg

Samsung-Galaxy-S4-vs-Apple-iPhone-5-01.jpg

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
Your current options for a phone are a tiny little screen with iOS, or a nice sized screen with Android. I know it may blow a lot of your minds, but there people out there, like myself, that would love to have BOTH iOS and a large screen.

I know it's hard to comprehend people, but it's the truth. All of these posts saying "if you want a larger screen go to Samsung" just don't understand that one simple concept. I thought Apple users were smart?

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I hope whatever size screen they use that it's glass--and looks and feels like glass. I'm not a fan of the plastic feeling on the iPad Air.

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
The main reason why I doubt this rumor is Apple's unwillingness to allow people to customize their phones. I doubt we would ever get multiple iPhone models (the 5C is just a cheap version of the 5, not a new model) considering how we don't have themes in iOS, or any other relevant customization option.

LastQuadrant

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2013
I think the iPhone 5C should still be offered and eventually bring it down to the entry level phone. But maybe the reasoning is that they'll have a iPhone 5SC as their entry level model and just completely get rid of 32 bit models so they can completely make the change over to 64 bit, leaving Android in the dust.

Apple, as far as I can tell, with make their transition from 32 bit to 64 bit completely (from a current offering) either by the end of this year or the end of next year before the Android market releases their first 64 bit offering.

At the rate that Android releases/discontinues products, it will be 10 years before the Android market is at 64 bit.

I don't know why these analysts think that Apple should go after the $300 and less smartphone market. Those models are typically cheap, old, outdated OS versions and there is little to no profit in those devices.

Apple has already proven that market share is not always profitable. In fact, it's detrimental to the profitability of the company to go after the low end market.

In order for a company to make good profits, they can't go after the low margin product range. Do you honestly think that Apple should release an iPhone 3GS w/ 8GB and sell it for $100 unlocked? That would be a mistake since it can't run iOS7, iOS 8 (to be released in 2014).

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Apple has done this in the past…
The Mac128 had an 8" B&W screen while PC users could get 13" color for 3 years until Apple caved in and offered the Mac II (overkill and expensive at $5,500 without a monitor)!!
Had Apple listened to the market then and offered a CRT-less Mac512 or MacPlus with a VGA port, they would have dominated the computer market the same way the did with iPhone and iPad.
It could have been a world full of Macs. Instead, PC's running Windows took off.
Hopefully the new large iPhones will recapture some of the lost marketshare.

Last edited:

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
Another day, another iPhone screen size story. :)

I like today's story better than yesterday's. Greater than 5" screen for me please!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.