Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flood123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Living Stateside
Since the iPhone 5c is a new thing for them I can't see them ditching it that quickly. That would almost be like admitting to a misstep. I just can't see apple doing that.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
The biggest complaint from my friends with android phones is that the iPhone's screen is too small.

If these rumors are true, what will they have to moan about?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I hope whatever size screen they use that it's glass--and looks and feels like glass. I'm not a fan of the plastic feeling on the iPad Air.

I prefer it over the heavier 3rd/4th gen iPad. If that's a trade-off they needed to make I'm fine with it because I can use the Air to read without my arms getting tired.

iamPro

macrumors regular
May 15, 2009
I also really question whether they will drop the 4 inch form factor. It is, after all, the best selling smart phone on the planet by far. This shows that while a lot of people prefer larger screens, not everyone does.

Don't think the reason why the iPhone is the best selling phone is the screen size.

I'm pretty sure many, including me, buy the iPhone "despite" its relatively smaller screen size.

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
The biggest complaint from my friends with android phones is that the iPhone's screen is too small.

That I still won't be able to Airdrop from my phone to my rMBP! :p Seriously, I got a new phone a month ago. I picked up the 5S and the LG G2 and took them both home for a two week trial. I love iOS and how smooth it is and the fact that "most" things just work. In the end the beautiful 5.2" display and the raw power of the LG G2 sold me and I returned the 5S.

Had the 5S had a screen that was comparable to the G2 then you can bet I would have returned the G2. I just couldn't get over how tiny the 5S was and it just felt like a little toy in my hand. Plus the fact that the batterly life sucked on the 5S which is mostly due to the fact that they can't fit a decent sized battery in such a tiny little phone.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

adding yet another row of icons instead of taking advantage of the bigger screen size. not gonna lie, i love my iDevices and my secondary device > nexus 4 is kinda pissing me off but iOS clearly was and still seems developed with a 3.5 screen size in mind back in 2007 and it clearly shows on the iPad. so much wasted opportunity.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
You know, this bigger screen joke was funny over a year ago...

funny-iPad-iPhone-evolution.jpg

Raylai328

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2010
Apple is not losing in size, they losing in price.

Apple is a clear winnier in the states, but it is not the same case in Far East and European countries.

How about a 5.5" iPad with an ear piece for FaceTime voice ? Price around $400, it become the real killer for those $800ish 5.5" android phone.

Most importantly, it does not compete with its own full flag iphone 6.

2 sizes, 2 different markets, 2 different subscription mode for the carriers.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
If Apple is smart, then an iPhone with a larger screen *is* inevitable. Too many people are looking at Androids in part due to the screen size, and this has been going on for two, close to three years now. They should bring out at least one bigger model to appeal to the people who want more real estate and stop the attrition that's purely for form factor.

Personally, while for one handed use while on transit, etc, I prefer the current iPhone, I could see myself trying one that is a bit bigger purely for the ease of reading, etc. I don't think I'd want the biggest one, though - I like a phone that fits in my pocket!

As for the digs about copying Samsung, eh. Maybe if this happened two years ago.. But the demand for a bigger iPhone is out there, so I view it more as Apple following consumer demand.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
I'd love a 5" screen. My Nexus 5 with it's thin bezels is just right. (I use both a 5S and the Nexus 5, but there are days I miss the 5S, they still got a lot right).

LastQuadrant

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2013
I think Apple should release both a polycarb and Al (or whatever higher end casematerial) for 2 or 3 different screen sizes. That way, it gives someone the lower priced model for those on a budget, and a higher end model for those that aren't.

So this is what I would prefer to see them producing by the end of 2014.

Low Cost $0 (2 year contract model)
iPhone 5C 16GB. A6

Middle Cost $100 to $200 (2 year service contract model)

iPhone 5SC 4 inch model, A7
iPhone 6SC 4.8 inch model, A7
iPhone 7SC 5.5 inch model, A7

Flagship $200 to $300 (2 year service contract models)

iPhone 6S 4 inch, A8
iPhone 6 4.8 inch, A8
iPhone 6L 5.5 inch, A8

Or something along these lines. Giving people at least two or three screen size choice, two different case materials, and then a cheaper model for the $0 cost model will STILL give them decent margins and a variety of sizes and case styles to choose from. But they will have to increase their production levels so they don't have a supply problem that plagues them for 3+ months, which typically happens every year.

Bjb568

Nov 18, 2012
lol @ 5c buhahaha @ Apple for thinking it would be so "amazing", bigger LOL at those who bought it... now give me a 4.7" or bigger iPhone please..

Waiting for those to complain and ask me to make a better product than Apple...

Waiting for those to complain that anything over 4" is too big...

Waiting for those to complain about my post in general...

Why don't you make a better product than Apple, then?

Anything over 4" is too big.

You post is sooooo bad. It doesn't have enough jQuery in it.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Why don't they just add phone functionality to an ipad mini?

That's what I'm talking about… and let me have the same phone number on an iPhone and a tablet so I can use what's most appropriate for the moment. :) Portable iPhone…. iPad Phone when I want to take a call at home. Or something like that. :)

Coupz

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
With Tim Cook as CEO, everything is possible. He just wants to see the sales numbers go up. Steve Jobs thought "I don't care what others do, we do what we want"

If Apple doesn't continue to make an iPhone at the actual size of the iPhone 5 (my current phone), I'll use my iPhone 5 till death and get a smaller phone from competition.

I'm an apple customer since 2007 and that big iPhones would be a reason, to loose me and many other customers.

I hate this phablet philosophies that's going on since years.

derbladerunner

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
TWO new screen sizes? Nah, they won't do that.
Where's my check?

The WSJ was rarely (if ever?) wrong in the past on Apple rumors whenever they used their "various sources" or "people familiar with the situation" quote.

What could be possible, sort of merging your estimate with the WSJ news:

- Apple is testing both device sizes at the moment
- They will decide on just one size (4.5'' or 5'') to go ahead and start production

Just my speculation :)

Personally, 5'' sounds too big, not elegant enough for an Apple device in my opinion, unless people (women) carry the device in their handbags. 4.5'' or 4.7'' would be great.

For developers, just one new screen size would also reduce headaches.

Last edited:

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Anyone attempting to argue that a screen larger than 4" is too big has clearly never used anything other than an iPhone.

After testing a Windows phone 8 (HTC 8X, which has a 4.5 inch screen I think), I see your point. One thing I noticed is that the bigger screen forced me to hold the phone differently when using one hand, so rather than having my four fingers cover the back of the phone (like the picture below), I adjusted my grip to only hold it 'halfway', which gave my thumb much more room to navigate the screen even with one grip.

applead-thumb.jpg

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Finally a reasonably accurate rumor from the one source known to be directly linked to Apple for years. The Journal is where Apple "leaks" their rumors or trial balloons to gauge public acceptance.

If true, it proves Apples finally realizing they cannot continue to champion such a cramped tiny display that's so antiquated. They'll laugh all the way to the bank with the massive profits that will result from finally releasing a proper size display that's at least two years overdue.

TenchoGeek

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2013
For all those complaining 4.5-5" is too big and 4" is perfect, seriously? have you ever used a galaxy s3 or s4? android aside the screen big that big is perfect text is much nicer to read!! i for one think 4.99" on the s4 is a great size any bigger would be too big to fit in a pocket. Theres also those who claim they wont be able to reach the top corner? serously are you elfs or something lol. Rock on iphone 6!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.