Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Apple TV could be getting long-awaited game support in an upcoming software update, according to a report from iLounge. It could include Bluetooth controller support and an Apple TV-based App Store.

apple_tv_2012_interface.jpg
iLounge has heard from reliable industry sources that Apple TV will soon be getting proper game support in an update, likely to come in March or earlier. We've heard that developers are currently working on Bluetooth controller options, and it's expected that games could be downloaded directly to the Apple TV rather than relying on another iOS device as an intermediary.
Turning the Apple TV into a game console-type device with an App Store has long been expected, with rumors dating back years suggesting that such a feature was in the works. MG Siegler wrote last year that Apple appeared to be moving closer to leveraging the Apple TV for television gaming.

Steve Jobs himself said an App Store for the Apple TV was a possibility "when the time is right" in an interview in 2010. Apple and third-party hardware makers recently began shipping iOS 7 game controllers for iPhones, but they have been poorly received because of build quality issues and high price tags.

iLounge has shared fairly accurate information on Apple's product plans several times in the past, suggesting it does indeed have reliable sources with access to Apple's supply chain.

Article Link: Apple TV to Gain Game Support With Bluetooth Controllers By March

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
FINALLY! Jeez been waiting a while for this. Now we need better processors and console quality!

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
I only really buy the rumor if there's a new Apple TV model. Can't see it happening on the current version, not enough space, A5 processor.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Doesn't the current AppleTV only have like 8GB of storage?

I'd first like to see a 4th gen with 16GB+ of storage with access to an expansive App Store before being concerned with bluetooth controller support.

And, uh, native Plex app of course. I need that in my life.

//yes I know about PlexConnect

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Personally, I'm excited for the dozen new incarnations of Angry Birds we'll see. :p

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
That would be a weird and interesting way to go, vs. having first-party controllers. A hobby within a hobby? (Limited space would mean a lot of re-downloading: even if seamless, that's not instant.)

But it WOULD add one more reason for Apple's refusal to allow a "Made for iOS" (MFi) badge on controllers that don't meet certain standards for analog control layout and feel.

And I do like the idea, in that it might allow current/old AppleTV users to play too, along with whatever new AppleTV might come along.

(A new first-party bundled remote is still needed, regardless. Has to be coming sooner or later.)

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I only really buy the rumor if there's a new Apple TV model. Can't see it happening on the current version, not enough space, A5 processor.

I think it could - the space would be the main issue, but it would be on par with iPad 2/Mini which are still supported devices. The resolution is a bit higher, but they could limit games to 720P and it would be very similar to performance on those devices.

But then of course still release a new A7 based model.

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
wouldn't that mean new hardware too? I don't see many games running on the A5 (i mean it's ok but miles behind the A7)

J InTech82

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
This would call for an Apple Media event no doubt. With new information available for developers at WWDC.

Genius move. Make the hardware developers create the controllers and the app developers create the games while Apple reaps the benefits. It's actually a win win for everyone; consumers, developers and Apple!

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I think they should release a new Apple TV and put the App Store on there. Then there would be a higher-end baseline for software development going forward. The A5 chip with 512MB of ram isn't going to be much of a gaming powerhouse trying to run 1080p. But the upside to launching on current hardware is a larger install base for developers.

Apple would absolutely kill it if they released an AppleTV style game console with bluetooth support and a controller designed by Apple. Price it at $249 with a quad A8X, 2GB ram. A system like that should be able to run higher-end games than a 360 or PS3, but still undercut the PS4 and One for casual gamers who also want the home entertainment features. The only thing I'm not sure about is storage space, which can quickly add cost and is necessary for storing console-quality games.

I wonder how easily and cost-effective it is to scale up the cores of the PowerVR chipsets? Could maybe get away with a lower-spec'd A series chip that has tons of graphics cores.

andyvp

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
Detroit, MI
I can't wait. Hopefully iPhones will be the default controllers.

We have started just now to use the AppleTV and iPad for family gaming, SketchParty is a lot of fun.

MarkNY

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
If Apple is serious about the Apple TV being a gaming machine, they'll be making their own controllers, won't they?

mistafro

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2003
New hardware for this for sure but are they really going to break the $99 price model to have models with different storage options? hmmm...

Game streaming idea sounds like a promising alternative.

No storage issues to worry about, just purchase and play from the cloud, the game could be loaded into the internal memory on the fly while you play as the Xbox One does.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
an app store is long overdue and hopefully software like xbmc, vlc and synology diskstation can run on it

Ulfhednar

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2005
If I were Apple, these would be my specs and price points.

Only one model:

quad-core A7x
bumped up SSD storage

$99 plus optional $29 per bluetooth controller.

$150 offer for unit and two controllers.

If Apple did this, it would totally disrupt the current console model, where consoles and games cost a small fortune.

At the time of release, Apple would also be smart to reveal that they've one of the major game developers. If it were me, I'd buy Blizzard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.