Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smurray

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2008
I'm in a position where I'm trying to decide whether to run 7.0.4 jailbroken on my iPhone 5s or the latest 7.1 beta. I like having my phone jailbroken but at the same time I really feel like 7.1 offers quite a bit of improvement over 7.0.4. The UI elements I'm not as concerned about as I'm sure I can customize 7.0.4 to match 7.1 pretty closely. What I care more about is whether there's enough "under the hood" improvements to 7.1 that outweigh the advantages of having a jailbroken phone. Looking for some input. Also, I specifically mentioned I have a 5s because I'm not sure if there are some 64 bit specific improvements with 7.1 as well.

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
It really depends on why you jailbreak and what tweaks you want to run that you can't run on stock. 7.1 is going to contain a lot of minor under the hood changes, but whether you benefit from those changes as much as you do from any specific jailbreak app is based on your usage.

smurray

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2008
You can always use 7.1 beta 3 and jailbreak at the same time.

This is true, though I've ran into a few issues running 7.1 b3 jailbroken. The biggest is the extremely long time it takes to boot the device if I every have to shutdown/reboot. I've also run into a couple of tweaks that don't work correctly w/ 7.1.

----------

It really depends on why you jailbreak and what tweaks you want to run that you can't run on stock. 7.1 is going to contain a lot of minor under the hood changes, but whether you benefit from those changes as much as you do from any specific jailbreak app is based on your usage.

Do you know if anyone's done any testing on the betas to see if there is any real performance/stability advantages to the 7.1 betas over 7.0.4? I know there are various "bug fixes" but I didn't feel 7.0.4 was overly buggy in the first place. While I love having a jailbroken device, I care much more about having a fast/stable device. If there is concrete evidence that 7.1 is/will be significantly faster and/or more stable then I think I'd rather have that than a jailbroken 7.0.4 device.

MastahRiz

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010
Asked myself the same question a few days back, decided to stick with 7.0.4 and jb.

I did find a thread on here that mentioned how much better 7.1 was than 7.0.4 but also said that the differences were most noticeable on pre-5S devices. Given that information + the number of jb tweaks I kept finding that did not work with the 7.1 beta 3 (such as spectral, blurred music app, iconoclasm [sometimes worked and sometimes didn't] haptic pro, display recorder, audio recorder, and others) I just couldn't stay on the beta. Jailbreak developers will pretty much write every tweak for 7.0.4. Whether or not it will work on the beta will always be an after thought that many won't bother having.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.