Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Only one model:

quad-core A7x
bumped up SSD storage

$99 plus optional $29 per bluetooth controller.

$150 offer for unit and two controllers.

If Apple did this, it would totally disrupt the current console model, where consoles and games cost a small fortune.

the production quality on console games is better
my older kid has played lego superheroes more on the xbox the last two weeks than anything on the ipad lately

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Wow I guess I can finally dust off the old Apple TV 3 from my closet. I bought it in hopes there would be a jailbreak and well... there never was. I ended up just making a XBMC box.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
That would be a weird and interesting way to go, vs. having first-party controllers. A hobby within a hobby? (Limited space would mean a lot of re-downloading: even if seamless, that's not instant.)

But it WOULD add one more reason for Apple's refusal to allow a "Made for iOS" (MFi) badge on controllers that don't meet certain standards for analog control layout and feel.

And I do like the idea, in that it might allow current/old AppleTV users to play too, along with whatever new AppleTV might come along.

(A new first-party bundled remote is still needed, regardless. Has to be coming sooner or later.)

Yes if a future $99 Apple TV requires a $99 controller I can't see it being a success

mrothroc

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2012
San Francisco, CA, USA
Combining this with the Nintendo rumor from a few days ago, and the fact that Nintendo just announced that they are missing their hardware sales targets by a large margin, there is potential to have some very compelling launch titles.

Their hardware has been targeted at casual gamers. I imagine their software would run very well on the existing Apple TV hardware.

electronics1201

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
apple tv app store

hoping for an apple tv dedicated app store, where you can download apps via the apple tv and use your iPhone as a remote

or have other people in the room use there phones also in multiplayer games

talk about game changer huh.

mind.blown.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
An open ecosystem for apps would usher in a whole new era for Apple TV but I'd be concerned if a bump in specs and capability meant a price rise.

Perhaps we also need an even further stripped down device that simply enables a decent Airplay connection over HDMI (via wifi or Ethernet) so that it's even cheaper to equip displays and projectors with Airplay connectivity? I'm thinking particularly for schools, etc.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Can we then get away from that horrible remote?

Another example of form over function.

0xyMoron

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
California
Is it even worth it? I don't even know if it's right to call it "Gaming experience" when the mass majority of App-Store games are modest at best and fail to qualify as high quality games to actually play on TV. Apple should leave the Apple TV remain what it's designed for and work on their own Gaming Console that can compete with Xbox and Sony's PS4.

BigRed1

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2011
It would be really smart to have native support for PS controllers (would possibly be unofficial so they don't have to support it but would work anyway). I'd expect that if they bumped up the specs and added more storage it would increase in price by at least 50%. I would also assume that buying a new controller would cost at least $50, possibly more. This IS Apple we're talking about. They don't do cheap.

It would be very smart.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I wouldn't mind if Apple offered a new Apple TV with more processing power and storage space. The trick is, do you compete with Roku or PS4? Maybe two models, one with updated specs (focused on TV experience) and one that would add more storage space (TV + enhanced gaming capability)?

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
If Apple did this, it would totally disrupt the current console model, where consoles and games cost a small fortune.

You get what you pay for.

At freemium to $5 app pricepoints, you're never gonna see the Last of Us or GTA 5 on an Apple TV no matter how premium the hardware is. Not until 10 years later as a retro port.

If Apple really wanted to disrupt the console model, they'd redesign the app store to support the higher prices need to develop AAA games. But they don't because as a hw company, sw profit margins don't matter to them, much less third party sw profit margins.

Which is why anyone who goes and buys these $40-60 BT controllers are gonna be stuck using them on disposable $1 games.

euvnairb

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Goleta, CA
$99 price point is huge, if Apple increases the price they will have turned a casual device into a luxury item. Part of the reason why Apple TV is so lucrative is because it's relatively affordable -- you take that away and it becomes something only select few would purchase. I welcome a dedicated App Store and an updated model, but I hope Apple doesn't increase the price and if they do, that it's not substantial.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Great news if it happens. Hopefully it's not just games though. Other Apps would be great too.

If I could get a native plex app on the apple tv...I'd buy 3 straight away and would probably 'sell' loads to my friends when they see what it can do.

whoiare

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2011
Combining this with the Nintendo rumor from a few days ago, and the fact that Nintendo just announced that they are missing their hardware sales targets by a large margin, there is potential to have some very compelling launch titles.

Their hardware has been targeted at casual gamers. I imagine their software would run very well on the existing Apple TV hardware.

Yep

new apple tv
AC Wifi
More ram, 64 bit processor
Apples own Bluetooth controller - but can with work DS4
New complete media universal remote
iphones/itouch/ipad can be Wii U esque second screen gaming
Nintendo announces all titles available on new ATV app store.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
You get what you pay for.

At freemium to $5 app pricepoints, you're never gonna see the Last of Us or GTA 5 on an Apple TV no matter how premium the hardware is. Not until 10 years later as a retro port.

If Apple really wanted to disrupt the console model, they'd redesign the app store to support the higher prices need to develop AAA games. But they don't because as a hw company, sw profit margins don't matter to them, much less third party sw profit margins.

Which is why anyone who goes and buys these $40-60 BT controllers are gonna be stuck using them on disposable $1 games.

Er it does support the higher prices. I don't see what you are getting at. AAA games don't exist on iOS devices as it's not powerful enough (yet) I can easily see $30+ games on there... but would need a bigger then 8gb drive.

And you know they make 30% of EVERYTHING on the App Store right?! Every single 99c or in app purchase or subscription ( might be less on that ) etc.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
At this point I'd be happy with a firmware update. My :apple:TV3 has had audio issues for the past month that I'm hopeful a firmware rev will solve. Else, looks like I'm buying whatever they've got in the works.

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
Following the bread crumbs, this rumor makes sense with something that was mentioned at the WWE Network launch at CES.

They listed all of the devices the WWE Network would be available on, and then the executive said “and one more device which we can’t mention at this time.” She then pointed at a member of the press in the crowd and said “Someone’s getting it.”

After the event, it was revealed that all of the press kits under the seats contained a WWE branded AppleTV.

https://twitter.com/saschasegan/status/421117388235358208/photo/1

Either the WWE Network will be an app added to the AppleTV, or it will be available in the new AppleTV App store, which they obviously wouldn't be allowed to mention until after Apple announces it. Wrestlemania 30 takes place on April 6, so if an App store was launched for the Apple TV in March, it would be right in time for that event. I don't think Apple would really care about hitting that date, but it would be a big deal for WWE to be one of the first apps in the store for their biggest event of the year.

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
Is it even worth it? I don't even know if it's right to call it "Gaming experience" when the mass majority of App-Store games are modest at best and fail to qualify as high quality games to actually play on TV. Apple should leave the Apple TV remain what it's designed for and work on their own Gaming Console that can compete with Xbox and Sony's PS4.

I disagree. But your version of high quality and mine are probably different. I would argue that the Wii proved 'casual' can rule the market place, and an A7 equipped ATV could run whatever a Wii would run.

I believe there will is a huge market for a less expensive console type device with access to the iOS library.

mistafro

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2003
the production quality on console games is better
my older kid has played lego superheroes more on the xbox the last two weeks than anything on the ipad lately

This will change once this is released, it will be a game changer (pun intended).

It will dramatically improve the whole iOS gaming genre as the quality of games will improve and they will work on all iOS devices effectively making iOS the most versatile gaming platform out there.

Handheld gaming has always been segregated from their console counterparts, with this system developers can make ONE game and it will run on all iOS devices. This is why iOS dominates in the casual gaming market and now this will take it to the next level.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.